Focus Fanatics Forum banner

CEL P0171 (BANK 1) help

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 ·
hey all, new here but have been researching to find out what is going on with my car, dropped a valve seat of course so i got a used engine, and now that I got it back after driving about 100 miles I got a CEL P0171 bank 1, and the oil light started lighting up when I came to a complete stop, and lightly flashed as i hit the brake at times, so I did a oil change myself again after the shop of 10x30 and it came up again today

runs like crap kinda hear something ticking, not sure if its the engine itself or the CEL issue is causing it, any help is appreciated

Looked around the bay, didnt see any vacuum leaks, do have a bad tensioner pulley sqeaking, thanks ahead of time

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

Did you have a shop install the engine? If so take it back and tell them what's happening. If the oil light is coming on that's not a good sign, neither is the ticking your hearing if it's having that light. Check for vacuum leaks and use a screw driver to hear where the noise in coming from. The motor you got could be bad. It could be running lean from a leak or maybe the front O2 sensor might need replacing. We tend not to recommend putting another SPI motor in and usually point towards doing a zetec swap.

#3 ·
Thanks! well i got a used engine and had a shop put it in, although this light is present and pretty much stuck, I really just planned to sell the car unfortuantly :/ but i wont get much in the condition its in although its probably just minor

i did see the one of the intake manifold nut or bolt was loose just now

#6 ·
First things first, find your oil switch (that operates the light), remove it, clean it with carb cleaner, and put it back in. Those only come on when there is less than 7 psi of oil pressure. Now it's been my experience that engines don't run long with only 7 psi, so I'm going to take a guess that your switch might be dirty from sitting up and stuck. You can replace it if you want- that's not an expensive part. I'm not 100% sure of it's location on this engine, but typically it's located near the oil filter. If you put it back in or replace it, and still get the light- stop running the engine or it will KO in short order.

#9 ·
Wow you guys are awsome with the quick response, as far as the CEL, i have read that after dropping a valve seat particles from it can get into the egr and contaminate it, Maybe just cleaning it off will help? Also considering replacing the PCV valve and hose, dpfe sensor and clean off or replace my MAF sensor, what do You guys think

#11 ·
i took a look at the engine today, noticed my oil pressure switch is leaking so im going to go ahead and replace that and hopefully it takes care of that flickering light

aside from that, i removed the airbox, opened the TB and noticed i had oil in my intake manifold, what could be the cause for this? PCV?

#12 ·
Replacing the switch would answer the question of whether it's faulty for some reason, but how about getting that shop to screw in a gauge & check the actual readings for you?

(I would assume you don't have a pressure gauge yourself)

SOME oil in the intake would be normal, as crankcase ventilation gets recycled & burned through the intake leaving a bit of a mess behind over time as some condenses on the walls (see sticky throttle plate for example). But a LOT of oil isn't a good sign....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.