Focus Fanatics Forum banner

name of small pipe (exhaust?) on the right of the engine? SPI

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  atomatom 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this chrome pipe (about 1" thick) is called? I need to either buy a replacement or get a weld. The pipe has a small crack where the pipe meets the mounting (on the left of my red circle below,), and I can feel exhaust blowing out of it (and it sounds a bit louder, not much mind). Perhaps it is a candidate for JB weld or other magic paste - although I doubt that would last long.

I'm not sure if it is related, but I just changed the PCV valve (which was quite dirty and probably overdue w/ 180km on clock). Last year, the hose connected to the PCV valve had fallen off and was making the car stall. I have a suspicion that the dirty valve was causing issues (a mechanic put some heater hose on the missing hose, which fixed the stalling).

See less See more
#3 ·
sorry, i was being lazy and didn't even take that picture (i did draw the red circle tho! :) )

there is only one small (1" ish) metal pipe on the right of the engine - was hoping someone knew what it was. it heads back into what looks like the exhaust manifold

wait - my laziness prevails (plus it is cold out). i found it: EGR tube to exhaust manifold

#7 ·
i'll keep yakking away to myself - perhaps someone else has this problem.

here is a great thread with pictures on how to remove (and clean) the EGR valve (including removal of my broken pipe). http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34432

i'm thinking i'll order one for $60 - $60 does not buy much time from a welder, but seems like I should clean the EGR valve while I'm in there.

#9 ·
ah bummer - i just ordered one. seconds too late! i got one on rockauto for $30 - but then had to buy a bunch of other stuff to justify the shipping ($30 again)

it seems like a pretty easy job to replace - so he says cursing himself (as if anything attached to exhaust is easy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.