Focus Fanatics Forum banner

MTX75 5 speed transaxle fluid

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  badazz2010focus 
#1 · (Edited)
I was searching up and down and all over looking for what fluid to run in my transmission. Ford service information says run their Synthetic manual transmission fluid and everywhere online was telling either 75w90 synthetic gear oil, Royal Purple synthetic manual transmission fluid and 15w40 diesel motor oil. Found out the correct fluid to run from a Ford master tech which is Mercon V because it is a synthetic fluid, Ford now recommends Mercon VI but it is dealer exclusive from what I have been told. Focus shifts so much smoother it feels like a new transmission. Just wanted to clear this up for people so you don't have to do the searching like I did.

#6 ·
I've been running Red Line's syn. for over 6 months and I've had zero issues FWIW

#11 ·
OP this is good info they're all saying here.

I bought my little girl in Aug 2012 with 66k miles on her and went ahead and changed out to Ford Synthetic. It says use 2.1 quarts (and it's like $23 a quart) so I just bought 2, drained on ramps until it was running still but starting to drip, put 2 quarts in and it started to run out the fill hole (as it should if you've put in enough) so I quickly finished up and put the screw back in. 8k miles later and she's shifting like a dream.

Filling it though is kind of a b*tch! I had to actually get two clear rubber hoses and piece them together so I could stick one end in the fill hole and run the tube up through between the front bumper and the motor to fill. I couldn't get the bottle high enough to pour underneath w/out doing this but it actually worked really well my way.

#12 ·
Ford synthetic is the only way to go......ask me how I know well a year or so ago I changed out the fluid for r/p big mistake! The car would have issues going into 3rd gear almost all the time so finally I had had enough I had my tranny guy change it back out for ford synthetic and the different was night and day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.