Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Power locks keep locking. By themselves.

14K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Lscman 
#1 ·
Like the title says. My Power locks keep locking. By themselves. It seems to be getting worse. Was not sure but now it happens about every 5 min. The car is right outside our living room window. I hear a click like one door is locking.

Not sure if all Foci locks the same but my car ..... if I hit the fob button once the drivers door unlocks, hit the button twice and all the locks open. Hit the lock button and hear all the doors locking. If I hit it twice the horn beeps.

Right now I am sitting next to the window and hear the lock clicking about every 5 min. Was outside earlier and heard it click before I locked the car.

#2 ·
The switch for the power door locks is a "switched ground".

It sounds like the wire is grounding itself out (shorted) and so the module that does the door locks thinks you are pushing the locking button.

It could be at either of the door lock switches themselves, or the wires that go from them to the module.

#3 ·
Have you tried parking the car with the doors unlocked so you can confirim they do lock by themselves? This would be a bit more conclusive than just hearing something that sounds like the locks locking when they are already locked. It may also help with troubleshooting.

El solo explained how the locks work from an input switch circuit standpoint. In my opinion, the switched input ckt is bad or the gem computer module is freaking out, resulting in spurious outputs. To rule out cheaper stuff that's easier to troubleshoot like the switched input circuit, you would need to put a voltmeter between the lock input wire and battery positive. The reading should remain well below 1 volt and remain solid as a rock because the GEM module has a resistor inside holding the lock input near +12v. If the voltmeter reading jumps to 12v, then something is shorting the input ckt to gnd. You can isolate grounding issues by eliminating all electrical hardware in one door. This can be done in seconds by simply unscrewing the amp connector in the left or right door jamb. If the broblem vanishes after unscrewing a door connector then the ground issue is in THAT particular door lock circuit which includes the wiring harness and switch.

If I had to wildly guess what's wrong without doing any intelligent troubleshooting, I would suspect the spring inside or pivot inside the drivers door lock switch is going bad and causing intermittent grounds due to excess wear. Does it feel floppy and worn compared to passenger side? Maybe try removing the drivers door anp connector first ot see if the problem vanishes. However please close the door slowly and carefully and tape the connector out of the way so you don't smash it in the door jamb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.