Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/)
-   -   2.0 sohc will not start (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/306400-2-0-sohc-will-not-start.html)

focusonfast 01-11-2013 07:21 PM

2.0 sohc will not start

hello everyone i hate to just sign up and have to post a problem but i didnt know where else to turn. i have a 2003 focus se with the 2.0 sohc. it has been overhauled and has the head repair done. i have put about 20,000 miles on it since then with no problems but yesterday it would not start. i checked for codes and there are none. i checked for spark and it is good. the fuel pump runs for the two seconds like it should. i have a manual but its not too good because it covers all engines. it says to check fuel pressure with a gauge on the rail but the spi does not have a port on the rail so what i did was dissconnect the fuel line at the rail and turned the key on. for the two seconds it shoots gas like six feet so i kind of rulled out the pump and the filter but it sure acts like a fuel problem because it tries to start at times like its getting a little fuel sometimes. then i thought maybe a pressure regulator but found out it has no reg just a sensor on the rail so i checked the connections on it and made sure the vac line had no fuel in it. so i thought maybe a timing sensor but i used my cheap code reader and can see rpms while the engine is cranking so i ruled that out. thats about all i know to do so i was hoping someone could tell me where to go from here like maybe some way to see if the injectors are getting a signal to open or if it could be that pressure sensor on the rail but i would think it would at least start...thanks for your help...ron [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*ok went ahead and did a compression test. it has good comp and even on all cylinders[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**

BC_ZX3 01-12-2013 10:10 AM

No mention of a compression check...
Timing belt age? If fuel and spark look okay, I'd do a quick compression test to rule out obvious things like a jumped timing belt, loosened timing belt tensioner, etc.

keppieed 03-08-2015 07:15 PM

I have the same exact problem with my 2003 2.0. its been overhauled even. same exact problems and symptoms. I have checked fuel and spark. those are good. I just pulled cover off of timing belt and it looks good. I was curious what you found out the problems to be????
need help!

amc49 03-10-2015 06:58 AM

Most people's interpretation of 'good' compression quite frankly is highly misplaced, the numbers are the only thing that count here. Saying it's good yourself could easily cost you PLENTY when you get sent where you don't need to be.

Like saying the battery is good because the lights seem bright, can't count how many bad batteries (and rookie brains) that covers.

The SPI engine is well known for sucking wallets dry when all someone had to do was give the actual numbers. If not good then you waste your time with anything else you can think of.