Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Metal shaving

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mrdeath2000 
#1 ·
Anyone want to guess what this is from?
Found it on the dipstick and it's none magnetic. Looking down the dipstick tube I can see more and they look like curles of metal shavings. Unfortunately I can't get a good picture of the ones down the tube.
Only 13K miles. [bigcry]

See less See more
#2 ·
Take it to the dealer tell them what you found (show them the bits) and get the oil changed. .
Insist they save the oil and show it to you.

It may be trivial.
(I say that because if the engine is running fine.. it may be something like a oil splash tray or some other non-important thing in the engine. Or a bit of flashing from the engine block casting got left down there..
Anyway, if it is running no problem i would not be too worried.
It may be some bit someone forgot in there, and it got busted up by the crankshaft spinning.

If it was a bearing you would already be sitting with a dead frozen engine..
There is nothing down in the crankcase that matters much from being banged by a small chunk of light metal bouncing around. really. (well maybe the oil pickup tube.. but i bet that is fine since your engine oil light has not gone on..)
So as i wrote. do not worry too much. Just take the car to the dealer..
The oil dipstick goes straight down to the crackcase..
Added:
The only thing i can think of that it might be (if it IS an engine part) is some sort of camshaft chain guide or damper. That could break, fall down into the bottom, and the crankshaft could break up...

#9 ·
It’s great you’re having the dealer check it out, zick2500; I’m sure they’ll take care of you. [:)]

Take it to the dealer tell them what you found...
That's what warrantees are for...
...then let us contact our Ford Customer Service representative...
...That is why I am an advocate of the early oil change on new cars and motorcycles...
I love seeing the community help out; thanks, guys!

Cory

#5 ·
New engine [headbang]

If the dealer gives you any crap, then let us contact our Ford Customer Service representative and see what she can do for you. Chunks of metal in the oil are not normal. Those look like parts of a bearing to me, but you never really know until you remove stuff.

#6 ·
That looks like the kind of stuff I have seen come out of every new car and motorcycle I have had. Usually after the first or second oil change it will be gone. That is why I am an advocate of the early oil change on new cars and motorcycles. How many oil changes have you had in 13K miles?

#7 ·
I would try and extract enough of the oil to send off to one of the oil analysis labs (I think one is called blackrock ~$25).
That way if the dealer is blowing you off you can have it analyzed and they will tell you what the material is in there and you can figure out what's toast and maybe have more push on the dealer or Ford customer service.

#10 ·
Just dropped it off at the dealer. The service writer (or whatever their title is and the service manager (I believe)) both don't seem to be concerned that much.
They pretty much think they'll find the metal shavings in the oil pan and cleaned it out and I'm good to go.
I made my concern about that stuff possible doing damage to the engine and/or that damage has already occurred but he just said they'll document it for future reference...

This is the 2nd oil change, the dealer did the 1st one and I was about to to do the next one until I saw this.
Oh and I forgot to mention that the oil filter had been leaking too. I never noticed because all the oil drips were being caught by the underbody panel which is some kind of cloth like material that the oil was absorbing into.

#12 ·
Well spoke with the dealership and their finished. They said they drained the oil through a strainer and didn't find any metal shavings. They used a boroscope and peeked into the oil pan and didn't see anything there either.
So they are sending me on my way and just noting it for future reference.
I asked for the filter but they tossed it in a pile and don't know which one it is anymore.

#13 ·
Not much else you can since they tossed the oil filter. Keep an eye on it and make sure it's noted, hell if you can get a paper copy of the notes printed out.

Next oil change, if you have a shop do it, ask them to save the oil filter for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.