Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Shaking around 50 mph.

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  rent 
#1 ·
For some reason my 04 SVTF shakes bad around 55 and up when im accelerating.. Just had new tires and balance and alignment.. What im reading is it could be a motor mount. So im wondering how you can tell what mount is bad or which one might it be.. The car just turned 90k so i know im going to be replacing stuff ...

#4 ·
I had both issues. I replaced my tires first cuz I could visibly see they needed it, and the problem went away. Then it sort of started up again... while repairing an exhaust weld I noticed I also have a broken motor mount. Hopefully that'll fix me up. I ordered a new (better than stock) one from newedgeperformance.com

#7 ·
^^ That's a good suggestion.

If it only happened on a trip, it could just be the balance is thrown off again.

If you had a motor mount issue, it would do more than vibrate it would also make a metal to metal sound of the engine bouncing on the mount with a bad rubber.

Ray

#10 ·
a Roadforce balance will tell you if you have a bent wheel too.

I had a wheel on the Miata get bent such that the face of the wheel was no longer parallel with the flat part of the wheel that mounts to the hub. Basically it looked round to the naked eye, but threw up like 50 lbs of road force! A rim shop was able to pull it straight/true for me, now only reads a 4 lb road force.

#11 ·
I had a rear suspension issue mine still does a "booty shake" but my rear suspension is off from a deer hitting me. I need the rear driver dog bone mount from ford to correct some ps the issue. The suspension is very picky! Especially the rear on the SVT, upgrades are definitely looking like the best best at least for me!!!!

#13 ·
I've had the following give me some shake/vibration :

Balance
Tire
Bent Rim
Blown CV joint
Worn Tie Rods

Anything with the tires is easy to check, just do a rotation and inspect both tire and rim closely. I've found missing weights before, frustrating but easily fixed.

2 or my stock rims have bends in them. They're not bad, but they produce a slight vibration at speed. I know about it and always keep it in mind. What I found extremely interesting was that changing out the front tie rods from stock to Moog parts and making sure they're greased took away some vibration and slop out of my front end.

I killed my passenger side CV before I was out of warranty, but I was on a trip from Vegas to 29 Palms when it happened. The vibration was more fairly significant, luckily it held together until I got a dealer to look at it and eventually warranty it. I had to do my drivers side axle last year, but it was still in pretty good shape when I saw the boot had torn. You typically can hear them, but they're easy to check.

Has anyone mentioned wheel hubs? I haven't had to replace any of mine, but some folks have gone through them like candy. My car is also extremely sensitive to how much torque is applied to the lugs, the last time I had tires put on, the guys used pneumatics on her and I had to undo/redo all my lugs as it produced a horrible wubwubwub sound at 50 mph or greater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.