Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Clutch, Rack & Pinion, and more

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bones33 
#1 ·
Few weeks ago I started to change my clutch on my 2003 ZX5 with 220,000 miles. This is the second clutch. It was spinning when cold, and before I needed to call a two truck I got busy.

First, I must say thanks to SPORADIC for his detailed DIY clutch thread[headbang]
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163836

This damn clip took three days to get.

Dropped all components, and decided to give the cross-member a new look.

Part of the rivet came out and damaged the clutch. When? I got no idea.

New Dual Mass Flywheel...NO MORE CHATTERING [strongman]

This set the project back a week. It was very deep, and considered going to the hospital, but ah what the hell...

...[drummer]

See less See more
#2 ·
The old PS pump was making that infamous sound, and decided to install a "new" one.

Remove the belt cover, and remove the belt.

Remove headlight, PS pump line, and upper coolant reservoir lines

Use a pulley

Remove bottom PS line, then remove the four bolts.

Put it back on reverse order. Torque bolts to 17 lbs-ft

#3 ·
New HID headlights

#5 ·
I did it solo. It can be done in a day with four hands.

The broken clip alone pushed it 3 days.

#8 ·
It holds the power steering lines in place at the rack & pinion.

#7 ·
Yeah what was that clip too? I wish I would have cleaned up my subframe now after seeing yours lol. I guess I'll do that the next time since I need to replace the clutch in my SVT again. Nice pics and injury, every job on the car requires a blood sacrifice lol

#10 ·
The whining sound.

#13 ·
Nice work on the cleanup and replacement! That clean-up is a good example. A good reminder to take some extra time and freshen everything up when apart.

With that kind of care, it's no wonder your car looks so good after 220K!!

Also, I've found sometimes that clutch components can be out of balance when new. In my line of work there are no "good" vibrations when it comes to rotating equipment. Even using a simple cone type lawn mower blade balancer, or wheel balancer can show how out of balance some components are. You can drill holes or shave metal in non structural areas to acheive balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.