Focus Fanatics Forum banner

suspension problems???? i dont know

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  freemind 
#1 ·
ok so iv seen other talk about a problem not unlike what i recently started experiencing , and would like some opinions on what going on , so there are clunks coming from both wheelwells , it is MUCH more noticable when going over bumps and turning is the worst . its like when a wheel hits the bump that the clunking happens . also it feels like the car want to swerve when i hit bumps at higher speeds ( anything over 40 ) . its legitimatly scary , and if there is a major problem i want to know what it could possibly be.
my girlfriend takes my car sometimes and i couldnt think what id do if she got hurt in my car.

#2 ·
Three main joints that are common wear items in the front end:

Ball joint - attaches suspension arm to steering knuckle

Tie rod ends (inner & outer) - attach steering rack to steering knuckle. outer end MUCH more common to wear out, and your swerve note points this way

Sway bar links - attach sway bar to struts, most common for rattles going over bumps

Nothing to mess with when you have symptoms that ANY are worn out! One friend of mine who likes to drive things 'till they break recently had a ball joint break, luckily on an off ramp & not still at highway speed. Wheel jammed back against the fender & it skidded to a stop. Bent fender (and door from opening it into the bent fender), ball joint replacement (obviously), new CV axle (pulled out & dragged on road), and a new tie rod end as that was ready to go as well!

Get it checked out right away, or post back for hints on what to look for...

luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.