Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Pinch Bolt problems

9K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  BC_ZX3 
#1 ·
I was changing out my right side drive axle, went to loosen the lower pinch bolt on the steering knuckle. My torx socket was slipping due to the head of the bolt being rusty. Anyway I can extract this bolt without having to drill it out and risk messing up the threads on the steering knuckle?

#2 ·
Yours is threaded? Mine has a nut on the other side, but that's 05. 03 might be different. Use something like Kroil or PB Blaster on the back side of the pinch bolt, give it some time. I'd also use it on the front side to help clean the rust out of there. Best wishes.

#3 ·
And put some heat to it, you don't need to have oxyacetylene, I use a butane soldering torch (like in the picture), it can put enough heat on most bolts to loosen them up. And because it is small, you can direct the heat exactly where you want it.

#8 ·
The strut just slips out once the pinch bolts are out, probably rusty so it might need some convincing.

#10 ·
You might be able to use an extractor to get it out. Depending on how it broke of course.

#11 ·
CUT the nut/bolt off then punch the bolt through without having to mess with the torx end. An angle grinder is about $9 at harbor freight - use a metal cutting disc.

#15 ·
The lower pinch bolt is only threaded into the nut. I had to hit mine with an air hammer to remove, for a while.

When you replace the bolt, use a hex head bolt and SOAK it in anti-seize. Probably a good idea to replace the LCA with ball joint now since the process of removing the bolt like this buggers the ball joint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.