Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2001 Focus ZTS

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  zetecDon 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I am new to the ford forums, I just picked up a 2001 focus ZTS 5-speed with 173k on the odometer for 350$. what I was wondering is is there anything I should be looking out for, I have already replaced the ignition coil to an MSD along with the MSD wires and NGK iridium plugs, I also put a bully stage 4 clutch and fly wheel in the clutch and tranny were acting a lil jumpy so I changed it out just to be safe. my next project is the cams, cam gears, header and exaust. This was all new to me as I normally have an import so any help would be great. I live in Florida so I dont have to contend with the weather like I did in New York.

#2 ·
The 2000-2001 Foci were plagued with a number of pattern failures. The ones you will encounter are:

1. Old style ignition lock cylinder failure. This one is only a matter of time. Replace it with new style BEFORE it seizes up and requires drilling.
2. PCV hose collapse at intake manifold. Replace with improved part #XS4Z-6N664-BA
3. Alternator pigtail failure. Solder Motorcraft P/N WPT-118 pigtail kit (1U2Z-14S411-TA) onto wiring harness
4. Front spring failure in the rust states usually near the top. Unfortunately you are over the 10yr extended warranty program on this.
5. Rear spring failure in the rust states usually near the bottom.
6. Rear wheel bearing failure. If you have rear disk brakes, this also requires replacement of the rear spindles. There was a program on this years ago. It's over now.
7. Fuel pump failure. The program on this is now over.
8. Front sway-bar end-link failure - Just replace every 5 years anyhow, they're not hard to replace or expensive.
9. Front passenger-side windshield cowling failure causing water leakage onto front passenger floor pan. Clean windshield and replace cowling.
10. Valve-cover gasket failure causing hot engine oil to leak onto the thermostat housing o-ring in turn causing that to fail. Replace VC gasket with the higher-quality Fel-Pro item.
11. DPFE sensor failure causing DTC P0401 to be set. Replace DPFE sensor with improved-design OEM unit.
12. The usual heat-shield falling off problems, again in the rust states.
13. Ignition coil primary-side pigtail failure
14. IAC valve failure causing hard warm starts.
15. Battery wiring seems to need more than the usual attention to tightness and cleanliness, particularly the grounds.
16. Passenger-side engine mount - fluid leaks out and causes excessive vibration at idle. Replace only with OEM unit.

I've worked my way through these issues over 12 years and my 2001 ZTS is now fairly reliable and fun to drive. It helps A LOT if you don't live in the rust-belt states. By the 2002 MY, Ford had many of these issues worked out.

#5 ·
[thumb]

Just wanted to say thanks for this list. I printed it out and will keep it with my Haynes manual in my shop. My Grandpa's (now mine 2000 wagon with 45K) runs great and I have not come across some of these issues as of yet.

What is the reccomended mileage interval for changing the key lock cylinder out? What is involved in doing that? Will I have to have the car re-keyed? (hope not, I have 3-4 sets of keys for it now).

Also, how do you diagnose the pig-tail failure for the ignition coil and alternator? Just wondering for the future when the time comes.

Thanks so much, this site and info is GREAT![headbang]

-Greg

#8 ·
Key lock:

"What is the reccomended mileage interval for changing the key lock cylinder out? What is involved in doing that? Will I have to have the car re-keyed? (hope not, I have 3-4 sets of keys for it now)."

I changed mine out at about 110K due to starting to have some issues with it. It is not that difficult to do and I bought a cylinder that came with instructions how to make it work with the original key and the whole process of replacing the cylinder. Takes a little time to figure out the first time but, hey, now I am a lock smith :) I will try to find a link to send you to where I found mine.

#15 ·
Sounds good, thanks for the info.....that looks like a great kit! Aftermarket or not!

As for the 2000....i like mine a lot.....what do you expect for a nearly 13 yr old car? The difference between my focus and FIL 2000 Chevy Cavalier is night and day! The Cav is a TOTAL pos! Inside and out!

#17 ·
after doing all the replacements the car still wont start, it turns over but wont fire. Im replacing the battery next if it doesnt start after that I may just have it towed to the dealer and have them spend some time with it. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what it could be, I have replaced the ignition coil, pig tailed it, spark plugs and wires, is there a starter selenoid on a 5 speed eng?, I know its not the starter or else it wouldnt even give me a pulse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.