Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2006 focus zx4 sedan, eng. air cleaner

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  brianbintc 
#1 · (Edited)
Have the above car and the dealer wants almost $600 + installation. I just can't handle this finacial insanity for an air cleaner. What is a much cheaper retro fit that I can buy a filter for and not tear up the front end each time to change. 2.OL DOHC liter engine.

#4 ·
If'n you are cheap like me, take a look at the Stealth intake mod. It is just removing the stock airbox from underneath the car and pluggin in a $25 universal 3" air cleaner. Mine was in fact $25 at Autozone last week. Just a little more sound, barely noticeable.

I found that heating the connecting end of the new air cleaner helped as the male end of where it plugs in is 3-1/4" so it is a snug/secure fit. Make it good and warm, not hot. Use a space heater or hair dryer. Also lightly use a hose clamp for added security.

To prevent getting water into the air cleaner, I also cut and installed a coroplast (think election sign material) undertray back just past the control arms. It will take some fiddling to fit well but is good insurance to save the motor from possibly ingesting water splashed from the tires. This is the perfect time to get used election signs for undertray material.

I'm now tempted to crack apart the stock box and see what's really in there and if there is an easy way to install a panel filter inside the box.

#6 ·
you can also modify your stock maf tube to accept a filter , and delete the resonater . so , throttle body boot -- maf tube -- filter. this keeps it up high . no chance of getting wet , but then i believe heat soak may come into play but im not sure , im going to do this soon just for the winter .

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
Hey Sam, any tips on how to crack it apart without damaging it? Also, any ideas on what panel filter fit?

I opted for the stealth because it was cheap, easy, effective and I had the coroplast available. Keeping the resonator also kept it maybe a little quieter.

#9 ·
lol i wish , i destroyed mine trying to pull it apart , maybe baking it like you would a headlight would work, but i wouldnt know what temp to use ??? also iv ran the car with a tube in place of the resonator and to me and my friend it didnt seem to make a difference in anything , didnt even sound different . i was pretty bummed cause i spent a bit of time tryin to get some good tubing and it was basically worthless.

#10 ·
Thank you for your help and ideas. I'll print all this out and reread. I am a 50s type of car guy. You know, like the oil bath air cleaner and the carb top filter with a chrome top with a wing nut. I also don't have an ipad and all that other type of pocket filler things.

#11 ·
Tracy, those oil bath air filters can work very very well but are also somewhat restrictive but probably less so than the focus unit. Nothing like doing an oil change for the air filter! Lifetime cost is next to nothing and they last literally forever. All the oil in the airstream however may affect the MAF sensor though.

A very large paper element seems like the best solution. Low pressure drop across the element and very fine filtration. Gee, maybe retrofitting a larger replaceable airbox/filter from a larger engined Ford truck would do it?

#12 ·
Thanks bones, just kidding about the oil bath. I am a 50s guy on cars and still boils my bottle that ford put a $500+ air cleaner in a car in the worst place possible. SOBs and their better ideas. I just want a box on top that takes an air filter and a tube on the bottom to take in air. I had a Chevy Vega and drove it 160k miles with the aluminum engine and at least it had a replaceable air cleaner. I just don't understand all the retro fits and all. 70 yrs old and pissed.

#15 ·
Short air Intake for an 04 ZTW (2.3L)

What suggestions does anyone have for a SHORT air intake? I really don't want to tear into the fender well and take the lower box out. OR ... what's the DYI suggestion (tube with a 3 inch stock filter). I guess i don't understand how to keep the MAF in the loop. Thanks! [idea]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.