Focus Fanatics Forum banner

05' 2.3 ST with a few problems. Need guidance on where to begin...

3K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  bloostd 
#1 ·
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

I've got some issues with my 05 ST I purchased almost a year ago... The same issues since I bought it with. Hell 60k miles, ST with heated seats, for 4500- salvaged title. Car looks completely fine and was fixed inappropriately. Great DD.

Anyways, When I turn on my headlights with out without fog/ parking lights, all my cluster instrument lights go out. If I play with it, putting pressure on it, and turning it, I can get the lights to stay on while in parking light mode- but when you turn fully to headlights- boom, the lights on the cluster gauge/ hvac all go dead.

Whats the deal? What do I need to do or buy?

Next thing,
The E-Brake handle spring-push-button broke. It won't say locked. What part do I actually need? Can i just replaced the spring or do I need the whole part? Which part would that be?

3rd issue, HVAC controls. The blower only works in the 3 position. The rest of them do not. I'm guessing its the control switch?

4thly, What kind of maintenance should I do at 75k mile interval? I've replaced the brakes, and changed the oil- thats about it.

Anything I need to worry about?

Thanks guys!

Have a great weekend.[cheers]

Bret

See less See more
#2 ·
Come on people, It's the weekend. Time to work on this ole' Daily Driver. Don't want to bring out the Screaming Yellow ^__^

#4 ·
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

I've got some issues with my 05 ST I purchased almost a year ago... The same issues since I bought it with. Hell 60k miles, ST with heated seats, for 4500- salvaged title. Car looks completely fine and was fixed inappropriately. Great DD.

Anyways, When I turn on my headlights with out without fog/ parking lights, all my cluster instrument lights go out. If I play with it, putting pressure on it, and turning it, I can get the lights to stay on while in parking light mode- but when you turn fully to headlights- boom, the lights on the cluster gauge/ hvac all go dead.

Whats the deal? What do I need to do or buy?

Next thing,
The E-Brake handle spring-push-button broke. It won't say locked. What part do I actually need? Can i just replaced the spring or do I need the whole part? Which part would that be?

3rd issue, HVAC controls. The blower only works in the 3 position. The rest of them do not. I'm guessing its the control switch?

4thly, What kind of maintenance should I do at 75k mile interval? I've replaced the brakes, and changed the oil- thats about it.

Anything I need to worry about?

Thanks guys!

Have a great weekend.[cheers]

Bret

First problem sounds like the headlight switch needs replaced.

The E brake thing, I have no idea never tore apart an enrage handle, my guess is you would have to replace the entire handle assembly.

Problem 3 sounds exactly like a blower motor resister. I've sold plenty of these working at O'Reilly Auto parts. The resister has different wires with different resistance to produce the different speeds. But one, usually the high, has no resistance so when the part goes bad the one speed still works.

As far as maintenance, I would say spark plugs. I just put in Autolite XP Iridiums and have had good luck with them in my 05 ST. I would say maybe a fuel filter. Other than that making sure tires stay inflated properly.

Good luck
Brian

#6 ·
Thanks Brian,

Before I moved out to D.C. I changed the fuel filter at around 68k miles. Thing was completely pluggged. Sometimes I still get hard starts every now and then when I need to give it some gas. I've replaced the battery too.

Yes, time to look into some new times, this car sat salvaged for about 3 years. It was pretty nasty when I got it, but at the price. It was a steal, and it looks like a well taken care of 05' st. haha.
So you think the headlight switch is just the switch? not a ground? Errr. You're right. If it was a ground it wouldn't show me lights at all on cluster =D. Derp.

^^ I second that.

Adding that you should carefully inspect the coil boots- the rubber part that connects to the spark plug. Mine were bad around that time. The boot simply pulls off the coil- although it's easier if fold the plug end back past the coil first to break it loose. Look for cracks or other signs of obvious rubber failure. Boots cost about $5-8 each, and come with the spring and magnet inside. If you see any oil on the boots, then you need a valve cover gasket. Always install spark plugs with a dab of silver anti-seize on the threads.
Excellent!

Thanks for the tips. Motorcraft plugs and coils?

Next weekend I'll be doing all this stuff.

Where would you go for an Ebrake handle? and the HVAC switch/ headlight switch?

Thanks again

Bret

#5 ·
^^ I second that.

Adding that you should carefully inspect the coil boots- the rubber part that connects to the spark plug. Mine were bad around that time. The boot simply pulls off the coil- although it's easier if fold the plug end back past the coil first to break it loose. Look for cracks or other signs of obvious rubber failure. Boots cost about $5-8 each, and come with the spring and magnet inside. If you see any oil on the boots, then you need a valve cover gasket. Always install spark plugs with a dab of silver anti-seize on the threads.

#7 ·
Good call on the boots. I forgot I did that when I did the plugs. Really easy and fairly cheap for a little extra protection.

#8 ·
I would say Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. O'Reilly carries both. You probably just need boots, not coils. Coils can get expensive. I used the Borg Warner boots from O'Reilly but most will be about the same. Sorry I'm pimping O'Reillys cause that's where I work.

#9 ·
The headlight switch and blower resister would be available at O'Reillys :) or any parts place. The ebrake handle I'm guessing you would have to search online or salvage yards. Not on the aftermarket. And I'm doubtin the dealers would still carry it unless they are still using the same design.

#10 ·
What kind of fuel economy are you getting in your 2.3l?
im getting like 250-300miles tank?
is it worth it to get Toms Tune? I had it on my SVTF.
This is just my daily driver.

thanks guys

#11 ·
I'm getting around 21-24 mpg depending on how aggressive I drive. I think that's about the same per tank your getting. It's my DD too. It's a lot more fun of a commute than my 99 Taurus SE I traded in on it about a year ago. I have just over 95,000 miles on it. I did the Stealth Cold air intake. I plan on purchasing an aftermarket kit sometime. I have not done a "tune" on it. Don't really have the cash to put down for that. Not sure I really need it right now.
I'm working more on aesthetics. I tinted lenses, painted my grill and lower grill black and need to fix the rusty rocker panels. The winters here in Iowa can be harsh. And whoever had it before didn't pay much attention to keeping the salt off.

#12 ·
Not that the Taurus was a bad car, it was a great car. Just not very fun to drive. And after having to sell my 70 Mach 1 I was a little antsy for something fun to drive and this ST is that plus economical.

#13 ·
Yeah... I'm somewhat strapped right now.
I've owned a bunch of taurus sho's.

right now im fighting for medical benifits from the military after getting pretty f'd up in iraq in 07. So - one day at a time. lol

#14 ·
Well, good luck with that, I know how hard that can be, now my troubles seem insignificant comparably. :) Just dealing with too much debt (my fault) and a growing family. Needed a bigger house and the only way was to sell the stang. It hurt. But it was for the better.
Also owned 92 LX and a 94 GT stangs.

#16 ·
No problem, man. Anytime. Let me know how any of that turns out.
And thank you.

Brian

#18 ·
I would love to get new wheels but not in the budget. I got some corrosion on most of mine. I will probably paint them black with some High Performance Wheel paint to go with the other black accent painting I've been doing. Plan to fix the rust on the rockers and paint those black too.

#20 ·
Body work... no fun :D

fix it before it goes through!!!

Yea I do like the 6 spoke ones better. Gotta keep looking!!
:D

#19 ·
FWIW, don't pass on the 6 spoke SVT wheels if you find some - i was looking for 5 spokes or the EAP style but 6 spokes popped up locally first. The style grows on ya, and it's not as common as the others!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.