Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Alternator replacement

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  pasta 
#1 ·
2007 Ford Focus

The alternator has been removed from mounts but we cannot get it out of the engine compartment.

Saw a video where motor mounts were removed and engine was slightly pulled foward witha chain...is this really the only way to get the old one out?

Is it easier to remove from the top or underneath?

Any removal and/or installation tips greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
When I replaced the Alternator on my wife's 06, I believe I just removed the mounting bracket and slipped it out. Don't remember if I dropped it out the bottom or pull out the top. I remember in was a royal pain.

You might think about replacing your belt why you have it off. Cheap insurance.

#4 ·
take it out the top, for sure. Its like a really crappy puzzle. You can loosen the engine mount and pull the engine forward. I believe I have bent the bracket on the passenger strut tower out of the way before as well. Good Luck.

#5 ·
I removed pass mount and slid the motor forward by hand, gave me enough room to pull the old one out and put the new one in. Did it around 2am in my driveway with flashlights.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks so much everyone! Finally got it off and the new one in...thanks for all the tips. Much appreciated.

ended up removing the green arm that connects the power cable. once that was off i was able to spin it out from underneath. it was extremely tight but a good couple of shoves broke it loose. the new one seemed to slip in alot easier somehow... hm.

#8 ·
This thread was a help in my R&R of the alternator on our '02 wagon.

Is there any way to link this additional info to the 'How To' on Zetec Alternator R&R?

I'm guessing this thread is for the Duratec engine? There was no way I was dropping the alt out the bottom! WNTWN's suggestion of unclipping the purge valve (& hoses) helped, & I had to bend the tab for the gnd wire down & out of the way, then unbolt the hydr mount & have my daughter pull on the pry bar while I worked the alt out.

It took me about 2 hrs to get the alt out of the car (oh yeah, prying the thing off its bracket mounts was 'fun'!), & about 1-1/2 hr to get the new one in & then clean everything up.

Do Ford engineers get paid bonuses for using as many different bolt sizes as possible in a single vehicle??? [chair]

#9 ·
Just did this on an 03. A major pain in the ass getting that thing out. And it took awhile just to get it off the damn bracket since it was frozen to it. I had to undo the right side motor mount and slide the engine forward. It still barely came out. Getting the new one in was just as difficult. Surprised I didn't break anything. There are two metal fuel lines along the firewall that are in the way as well as a few other things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.