Right side Half shaft seal leak - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86664
What I Drive: 2004 Focus SE, 06 CayenneS

FF Reputation: 1 KM1.8t Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Right side Half shaft seal leak

My 2004 SE 2.0 auto Focus was having the carrier bearing noise so I decided to change out the drive axle. Took to my Local shop and they replaced axle and seal and now my noise is gone but now I have a leak where the seal meets the tranny. I took the car back and they replaced the seal again but it is still leaking. They were very careful not to damage the seal on the install but I still have the leak. Is it possible there is to much fluid in the tranny? Drivers side not replaced and it does not leak.
Shop did mention that there is a little cavity between the case in inside the tranny that may have some fluid and maybe that is working its way out. No vibrations and car drives fine. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94579
What I Drive: 2001 Ghia 1.6

Points 543, Level 10
Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 FocusGhia Good Standing Member
If the seal was not leaking prior to the new axle being fitted then I'd question the need for the new seal in the first place (I've removed/refitted many drive axles and know others that have done the same without having to change the seal) and more importantly how they removed the old seal. Assuming they removed the axle and seal correctly (without prising it out and damaging the casing), there is no reason why the new seal would not perform correctly.

Unfortunately if two new seals have failed you are left with the following options:

1. Get another garage to change the seal.

2. Fill the transmission with seal rejuvenator/stop leak/gear oil treatment and hope that it stops the leak.

Personally I'd remove/refit the seal myself but I appreciate you may not have the tools etc so I'd go for the cheap option and throw some seal treatment in the transmission. Just Google and see which US product has the best results.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Decided to change the original seal as it is cheap enough and might as well do it at the same time. I checked the seal this morning and it seemed to still be dry from whiping it off from yesterday, although it was just sitting. Daughters car, will check it again tonight after she has driven it today. Hate to pay another shop for changing again since i already paid once.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Can anyone confirm the part number of the seal? Is it BRS-117? thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Checked it again today and it is a little wet but not much, guess I will keep an eye it and maybe it will stop. Bought a new seal just in case.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Replaced again with a new seal and another rebuilt axle, still leaking. I am now going to replace with a new OEM axle and see if that will fix it. No other ideas.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98009
What I Drive: 2007 Black SES Wagon

Points 358, Level 7
Points: 358, Level: 7 Points: 358, Level: 7 Points: 358, Level: 7
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jnedohin-macek Good Standing Member
I think I have the same type of leak. the car still drives well and the leak is very slow (no stains on the drive way). Did changing out the shaft and seal work KM1.8t?
Attached Thumbnails
Right side Half shaft seal leak-leak.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Yes, replacement fixed the problem. Only problem was that three reman shafts all leaked, went with oem and no leak. Not sure why the remanufactured shafts would not stop leaking. Good luck
Old 03-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 3,304, Level 35
Points: 3,304, Level: 35 Points: 3,304, Level: 35 Points: 3,304, Level: 35
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 16 PratoN Great Standing Member
Sorry about the zombie thread... but for anyone on the internet looking for solutions:

I had this same problem on my 2002 Escape after replacing the intermediate shaft/bearing/half shaft assembly with a re-manufactured one. It was transmission fluid leaking out of the location where the axle entered the PTU, but it was undoubtedly transmission fluid.

I had always assumed that I damaged the seal while making the repair; I never considered that the shaft itself may have been bad. Instead of buying an entirely new shaft, I was able to use a speedi-sleeve I found on RockAuto to minimize the leaking. Hopefully this helps at least one person!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:25 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 4,022, Level 40
Points: 4,022, Level: 40 Points: 4,022, Level: 40 Points: 4,022, Level: 40
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 34 amc49 Great Standing Member
Remanned shafts can have a wear groove at the seal riding area from dirt grinding slowly on shaft. They grind the OD down a small amount to clean that up and they assume the seal will still seal there, a small amount of leeway there. If seal does not fully grasp axle 100% around though because axle too small, it will leak.

As well, smacking the seal into place a problem there lying on your back, the seals distort pretty easy and if it swings off angle to begin to install sideways like they all try to then the body gets warped and seal leaks around the outside because it does not seal all the way around from the warped body. You need to get the very start of the seal install pretty straight there.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.