Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2001 - SE - Positive Crankcase Ventilation Filter Question

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
Hello folks - a Focus newbie here.

I've looked high and low for a positive crankcase ventilation filter - the small square sponge type filter found inside the air box at the top left-hand side - any guidance would be greatly appreciated. It seems as though it should be a $0.75 filter....something tells me I won't be able to get one for under $20! Just curious if anyone could help guide me to a source for this filter - thanks in advance.

#2 ·
all I ever did was wash it, never replace one. I have a CIA now, so I no longer have it, so it never got to the point of replacing. I just spent 15 mins searching, and came up with nothing, which is why you are looking at a $20 piece of foam, they probably realize how hard they are to get. Might be an idea to look at u-pull scrap yards if you have any to see if you can get a decent one and wash it (or several). Chances are they won't even know what it is or have a price listing for it, so you should be able to take them really cheap if not for free.

#4 ·
I'd use this as a last resort, since matching density could be an issue, too heavy restricts air, too light and you're letting crap get in your engine and oil. Get the wrong type and it could dry out and crumble right into your engine.

#6 ·
It's the other end of the PCV loop. Go to Home Depot or like and buy a Briggs and Stratton green foam mower filter and razor blade a chunk out of it to fit, or buy a bulk piece of the breather fiber sold at auto parts stores for earlier V-8 type cars. Scissors to fit. Should get it for $3-$4 with more left for later.

#7 ·
#8 ·
I was looking for this same part. I searched all over online and couldnt find it. I've found many references in threads to it but nobody could generate a link to where to buy it. I believe I have found it on Rock Auto. It doesnt show up under make/model/year but I cross referenced the part number after funding it another way and it shows up with the correct picture and everything.

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,48,partnum,FA1693,d,MOTORCRAFT_FA1693.html

also referenced here, but costs more. for years 2000-2004

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto+car-usa+parts/ford+focus+engine-crankcase-breather-element.html

Sorry to bump old thread but I know this is a part number people have looked for in the past and I've seen it come up on this forum a couple times.

#9 ·
The part is nowhere near that critical. I personally refuse to pay more than $1 to make one. I've used foam off lawn mowers and other gas powered equipment, even foam filter for small room air conditioner. Hobby foam may not work-solvents in oil may melt it.Also two different types of foam, open cell and closed cell, it must be open to flow air. Way you tell is to suck through a piece of it, if you can easily then it's open cell, if it's closed you can't suck freely through it. I've even used 1/4' thick material, roll it up like a thick carpet and turn roll on end to insert, make it a bit big to stay in place, like I said not critical.

It IS the PCV filter, the air path starts there, goes into valve cover and through motor, then out front PCV baffle and to intake. Flow changes direction only at much higher engine speeds.

Left over foam then used for chainsaw (I got like 4) filters and the like, maybe another car. $5 worth will replace easily $25+ worth of the exact part but some just feel they gotta have that exact part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.