Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New SVT...completley screwed (edit: not completely screwed anymore)

35K views 176 replies 47 participants last post by  p0sitivevibez 
#1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2003 Comp Orange SVT. 95k, buddy checked it out with me Drove fine. Drove it all the way home from New Jersey. Yesterday it started surging at idle, then smelled burning smell. Had it towed to local shop...they said it's screwed. They're worried about em putting any more money into the car. So I have a few options....sell as whole as is...part it out...new engine. I really like the car, so thinking about new engine. Can anyone recommend a reliable vendor or how to get through this? I don't have all the money in the world but I have good credit and my dad and I are pretty good mechanically wise. Are there new SVT engines for sale? Low mileage used ones?

Something in the engine is burning up. It's running hot. Sensors are bad. Exhaust is broken (figured I could get one from Trubendz). Airbag light is on. Accelerator is sticking. Test drive and drive home was fine. FML

#107 ·
eBay has some SVT engines for pretty cheap from what I've seen. Some of the places even offer a warranty. All depends on if you can wait for a freight shipment and if you have a place they can drop it off.

It's much cheaper if you buy it from an auction where they already have the shipping freight set up, otherwise it costs an arm and a leg for shipping (like 800 bucks) but otherwise it's great.

I hope it all works out well for you.

#108 ·
Thanks for the heads up! If I need a new engine eventually I'll grab it from there. I do like the remanufactured ones with the 100k warranties! My engine is solid though, compression is good, no knocking or pinging.

Found a new problem though, the rear is misaligned. Like the hatch is visibile off center and doesn't stay closed (doesn't fly open, but becomes loose). Oh well. I'll never sell it now.

#109 ·
We got the tranny off!! Thanks to Josh and Becky (Focus Family!). Both of us busted our knuckles up. Bell housing bolts and starter were PITA. Gonna rent an engine hoist to put it back in with the new clutch, and order new axle seals and tie rod links today

#110 ·
you can rebuild the motor with clutch and gaskets and new crank and rings and replace the sensors for about 1500.00 i rebuild my 2002 svt focus last winter in 2011-2012. the crank was dug into becuase of the spec flywheel and clutch to much pressure moved the crank to the other side of the motor and i redone everything to it and i shoped around but the motor rebuild costedm e only 1200.00 and all the rotors and brakes made the price up more. i would rebuild the motor before buying from a junk yard becuase by the time u get done rebuilding it your self u will spend the same amount of money on a used motor.

#111 ·
Thanks bro but I'm not rebuilding the engine right now. Engine works like a champ. Just the clutch :)

But if/when I do (given my luck) I'll try and do it myself. I mean after you swap a clutch, the motor is probably just as complicated/PITA!!

#117 ·
LOL.

Clutch/flywheel installed and transmission is on and bolted back up. Was too exhausted to re-install everything else.

Best tip though... if you're going to be dropping the tranny GET AN ENGINE HOIST!!!! It will hold the tranny up into place while you pop in in the block. I used a hoist and heavy-duty ratchet strap from my motorcycle to connect and get it up. Racthet has a big hook that fits though loop on the top of the tranny.

I just hope I got the bellhousing bolts right, I made a diagram and labeled hte bolts but might've gotten some mixed up....

#118 ·
I'm sure you got it right..We didn't even make a diagram when we did ours (bad idea) and we managed to get it all back together..Had a couple extra bolts though..lol But the car is still running and nothing has fallen off.

The plan for friday is we're gonna drop the kids off at my parents house in monrovia then head over to poolesville if you're there and if you still need the help. Or if you're not there but your dad is we could get something done. I don't even know what time we're dropping the kids off yet. I assume you'll be off around 5?

#120 ·
Ok Well I talked to my mom and she said not to drop the kids off till after lunch time. So it probably wouldn't be till afternoon anyhow. Hopefully we can get the car on the road. Are you planning on heading to carlisle that night if it gets done or on saturday? If you're planning on going that night then maybe we can take the cars to the car wash and get them cleaned up too. I know Josh is gonna want to clean the heck outta his car.

#121 ·
Tie rods going on tonight and after an alignment she will be DONE.

Sorry for the long saga kids....

Now that we've changed a clutch with no lift, I ain't afraid of popping open the engine if need be!

#128 ·
Thank goodness the car is almost done..We worked through tornados to get it done! lol.

You'll have to let us know how the test drive goes..Fingers crossed all goes well..

Now after spending 3 weeks on your clutch..Josh is terrified that ours is gonna be next..lol Especially after all the stop n go at carlisle. He said he isn't ready to do another clutch yet..lol But I'm still glad we got yours done. Now you just gotta get your o2 cheater so your vct will be working again!

#131 ·
Ugh bobby...Why is it that as soon as we fix something on your car something goes wrong on ours? lol..I was on my way home from the grocery store today and it threw a cel light..Went to advance to check it and damnit if it isn't that stupid o2 sensor again! lol. This is the 3rd time we're replaced o2 sensors since we got the car! Josh said he wants your o2 cheater..lol j/k

#132 ·
I'm really beginning to suspect there is another issue with the engine causing the o2 sensor to trip. Those things really don't break that quickly, they just 'tell' on other parts of the car. When they sense an emission reading that's out-of-whack the light comes on... you may have oil getting around the valve seals or a minor fluid leak internally that's ending up in the combustion chamber and the o2 is just reporting that something wacky is going on. You guys may want to hit up Chuck and fill him in...

#133 ·
We can find the leak with leak dye, I have a hippie-strength UV light. If it's just o2 sensor I'll build the cheaters tonight/tomorrow... using the non-fouler method doesn't leave enough room IMO, kinda scurry.

We'll do that dayum clutch if need be. We're experts on it now. Screw a lift we got bricks and stands sucka

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.