Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound

70K views 154 replies 19 participants last post by  Kevin_agar 
#1 ·
We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, we hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford replaced the front left wheel bearing to no avail. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in early August one month after the purchase of our Focus. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution. See Ford OASIS SSM 21985 which says to monitor OASIS for further updates.

We first noticed this noise when the MTS crashed and would not let us listen to the radio. Now it is very distinct, so much so it can be heard with the radio on. My wife is very apprehensive about the noise as it is constant at the speeds she drives. [bawling]

Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? Was it reported and solved and if so how?

#2 ·
This sounds exactly what mine was doing and all mine was due to low air pressure. They were at 25 psi, aired them to 35 and the sound is almost all gone.
Now it very, very faint so I am pretty sure it is just tire-rubber related. These tires still have plenty of tread left but after reading reviews others have stated that the rubber becomes hard at noisy. The tires are the barum bravuris and will be my last set.
Hope this helps.....

#4 ·
Thanks for the comeback. The dealer put our Focus on a vibration system to check it and the tires were ruled out. That was the very first thing I checked as well. I am also on the 1st rotation of the tires, at proper inflation rates of 37 PSI, and the noise is very much still there.

Drive with the radio and fans off between 55 and 70 MPH and listen to see if you still hear the noise, you may be having the same problem. It is not as prevalent in some Focus models, mine is the Titanium Hatch back. Ford is aware of this so it indicates it is a known & documented non-tire related problem.

#3 ·
I would have Ford replace the front right wheel bearing as well. Sometimes bearings are hard to pinpoint the sound and sound like they're coming from opposite idk why. A good test is to put load on it at speed, so like when no one is around at 70mph swerve somewhat aggressively both ways.

#8 ·
We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, we hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears.
Hi jimmyt,

Sounds like your dealer is thoroughly inspecting it, but please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I'll assist.

Thanks!

~Natasha

#11 ·
We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, we hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford replaced the front left wheel bearing to no avail. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in early August one month after the purchase of our Focus. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution. See Ford OASIS SSM 21985 which says to monitor OASIS for further updates.

We first noticed this noise when the MTS crashed and would not let us listen to the radio. Now it is very distinct, so much so it can be heard with the radio on. My wife is very apprehensive about the noise as it is constant at the speeds she drives. [bawling]

Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? Was it reported and solved and if so how?
Welcome in the club,I got this problem since I bought the car in June.And to give you an update,engineers have apparently found the source of the problem a few weeks ago and it would be some bad bearings.The "new" bearings are apparently available but dealerships are waiting for the new TSB before ordering the parts to fix this issue.

The message was suppose to be out this week but again I was told to wait.After 19 weeks,me being pis.. off is an understatement.

#89 ·
rotational sound at 35 mph

I have the same humming rotational noise but mine is at 35 mph - been back to the shop 4 times for same thing. They cannot find anything wrong. I have driven with at least 4 people so they can hear the noise.. First one said definitely rotational noise but found nothing. The next three said that they have to struggle to hear it. Bull>>>>. It is loud and clear. Last time in they changed out the driver's front wheel bearing. Did nothing. Still there. I have contacted Ford about this and will be calling everyone back Monday to tell them still has noise. I picked my car up when it was raining, so I did not hear the noise until it was dry out next day. I'm angry because they can't seem to find the problem. They too are sick of seeing me and I am very sick of seeing them too! They have tried to tell me it is normal but the 4 other focus' I drive do not make this noise.

#21 ·
well if its waiting for you to get up to highway speeds... then you need to check your tires AND alignment... i had this issue with my 02 zx5... the alignment was/is off, and it chews the tires out of the outside causing the vibration... you could also check the wheel bearings (all of them) as i have also had this issue...

again, try checking your alignment and wheel bearings if the tread is okay (check particular on the outside and inside edges of the tires of scalloping... that will created an insane wobble/vibration/hum at 55mph and plus...

#14 ·
Beepster, Nothing new, although I had a follow-up call from Ford CS today. I asked some pointed questions they could not answer. The fellow I spoke with said he would ask some contacts of his own to find out what he could. I asked what, where/why and how soon this could be fixed. I went on to say I was concerned that if it is taking so long to solve would this problem be taken care of if my warranty ran out. As of today nothing has changed with the TSB.

I went on to talk about my thread on Focus Frantics, which has enabled me to find out I was not the only one reporting this problem. I also told them that my wife is apprehensive about driving with this noise as she drives at the speeds it occurs. That when she is asked about how she likes her Titanium she tells people asking what is going on so Ford is not getting good press. Our Focus is good looking and several people each week ask how we like it.

#15 ·
Thanks,
I will call my service manager tomorrow for news.I also got a lot of people saying they like the look of the car.A few times I gave them the key to try it .And each time they said:"WTF" and looked at another car.In the past 4 and a half month ,I must have cost Ford at least 35 sales.This car doesn't belong on the road and with winter coming soon ,I can't imagine how dangerous this car will be to drive at the speed I drive right now so I can stop hearing that bearing noise.

I'm really sick of it.

#16 ·
This morning I called my service manager and he had news.Even if the TSB is not out ,he was able to find the number for the new bearings that are suppose to fix the noise and vibration issue.He's suppose to call me once he get them to get this and other issues fixed.I'm not celebrating or calling this good news.I'm still not sure how long it will take and even less if it gonna fix the problem or not.If it fix the problem ,I won't have a smile on my face because I'm so tired of all the BS.The "bad bearings" story came out in august ,only a week after the TSB was out.Why did it take 3 months before anything was done is beyond me.

If this doesn't fix the car ,I hope someone has a "plan B",because I'm not driving that POS another 5 month until they try something else.

Whatever happens this will be my last Ford ever!!

#18 ·
If you go on the " Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus" thread,page 11 post 127,you'll see that sirhawkeye reported the exact same solution and it fixed his problem.But it was done on the 20th of August! I spoke to my dealership about that many times and they sais there were no official TSB's about that.So when they told me the solution a few weeks ago ,I was far from impressed.

#19 ·
Breaking news!!!

This morning 8:45,got a call from the dealership saying the "new magic bearings" are in.They sent someone with a loaner about 90 min later to pick up the car.I may get news late this afternoon to see if it works or not.

My expectations are very low and the loaner I got is an 07 Focus with no power window or any kind of sound insulation.But it's still more quiet than the 2012 I own.

Will keep you informed and if works will post the part number and brand of bearing.

#22 ·
Just spoke to my servive manager on the phone, and he sounded like an overexcited kid as he broke the news that vibration and noise was gone.Apparently the part number for the new bearings is the same than the old one ,but they come from a different supplier. If the manager was happy ,I was far from jumping of joy.Today is exactly 20 weeks since I bought the car.I lost my summer ,two road trips and pretty much all respect for Ford.I was also promised an expensive extended warranty but apparently I will need to wait for that.

I haven't driven the car yet ,so I can only rely on what the service guy said.So will only be able to judge tomorrow once the car is back.The only good think about waiting that long ,is that I had more than enough time to think of what I was gonna do.And tomorrow evening,I'm shopping for a car.Still divided between Mazda and Hyundai ,but the one who will give the best deal and will have a car in stock will be my choice.

Will tell you my new ride before getting out of here.

#23 ·
I think I have the same front end problem on my 2012 Focus. It sounds almost like a phantom noise or like beinbg in a barrell or drum. Hard to explain and describe but we know there is a problem. We speculate on what it could be. The dealer replaced the front bearings a coupleof months ago. I wonder if he used the new bearings or the same bearings that came with the vehicle from the factory. Does anyone else have a problem like mine>

#24 ·
In my case ,it feels like when you drive on a bad batch of asphalt but it did it all the time between 50 and 80 mph.If they replaced the bearings a few months ago chances are that they had the old ones.Ask your dealership to make sure to get the new ones and to replace them on both sides of the car.

Good luck.

#30 ·
cbaldree, please keep those of us that are in this thread apprised of your success with a resolution.

PS: I sent Natasha, with FORD, my info and never anything heard back. I have been calling Ford not the dealership about every two to three weeks, since early August, hoping for a resolution. The dealerships cannot do anything until FORD lets them know what to do. Still waiting......

#34 ·
I am having problems similar to yours but the dealer insist the bearings are okay. I would like to try the new berings even if I have to pay for them myself.
Hey cbaldree - Noemi let me know you sent a PM, so I'll be responding to it shortly. Thanks!

UPDATE: I have had a front-end high/low wobbling noise between 50 and 70 MPH since I first bought my Titanium. It has been 17 weeks with FORD not giving me any indication of when or how the problem is going to be solved.
Hey jimmyt,

I reviewed the case notes, and engineering is actively working to resolve the bearing noise. Please keep in contact with your dealership, and let them know if the symptom changes. I truly appreciate the patience you have shown.

~Natasha

#33 ·
UPDATE: I have had a front-end high/low wobbling noise between 50 and 70 MPH since I first bought my Titanium. It has been 17 weeks with FORD not giving me any indication of when or how the problem is going to be solved. My wife is apprehensive driving the car as those are the speeds she drives at. The Ford MY Touch System is to be corrected after the first of the year. With these two problems solved, I will be a happy owner. Without them solved, I will never own another FORD! Continued contact with my dealer and account rep have brought nothing to light as to when, why or how soon can we as customers expect remedies for their defects in their workmanship.

I talked with my FORD customer Rep two days ago, same story; We are working on it with no resolution to date after 17 weeks. I asked for a FORD ENGINEER to RIDE with me to justify a buy back but was denied. It makes me wonder how many others are having this problem and why FORD is Sweeping it under their RUG? The noise is hypnotic and will lull you to sleep on a long trip. We either have to exceed the speed limit on interstate highways or drive under 50 mph to not hear it. SOME BETTER IDEA. I think Beepster was right dump the 2012 FOUCUS and buy a competitors vehicle.

I have 18 X 24 inch magnetic Lemons on order for the front doors. Inside they say "ASK ME BEFORE YOU BUY!"

#42 ·
My 2012 Focus SE has same humming issue

Hello all,

Figured I'd express my concern over this issue also. I have a 2012 Focus SE hatchback (6 speed select shift transmission). My problem is the same as jimmyt's, but at a different speed range. I hear/feel a rhythmic hum right at 45 mph up to 60 mph, but don't hear/feel it at any other time. Can't tell if it's both front wheels or not. I can feel the hum through the floorboards and hear it from the front of the car. I noticed it on my first highway drive when the car had about 250 miles on it.

Just dropped it off at my local Ford dealer (Ford of Clermont) about an hour ago. I'll report back when I have more news. Such a shame, my first new car only having 1000 miles on it with a weird problem like this [mecry]

Jimmyt, saw that you might have been getting new wheel bearings around 2/8 from another post. Any luck getting the issue resolved?

#43 ·
Hello all,

Figured I'd express my concern over this issue also. I have a 2012 Focus SE hatchback (6 speed select shift transmission). My problem is the same as jimmyt's, but at a different speed range. I hear/feel a rhythmic hum right at 45 mph up to 60 mph, but don't hear/feel it at any other time. Can't tell if it's both front wheels or not. I can feel the hum through the floorboards and hear it from the front of the car. I noticed it on my first highway drive when the car had about 250 miles on it.

Just dropped it off at my local Ford dealer (Ford of Clermont) about an hour ago. I'll report back when I have more news. Such a shame, my first new car only having 1000 miles on it with a weird problem like this [mecry]

Jimmyt, saw that you might have been getting new wheel bearings around 2/8 from another post. Any luck getting the issue resolved?
Just heard back from the dealer last Friday the 10th. My car is still in the shop having other issues resolved, headliner replaced and rear spoiler alined to fit properly, however they informed me that they have replaced both front bearings and said the noise is gone. I have not driven the car yet so I can only report what I have been told. If your dealership replaces the two front bearings, ask them to use the new part numbers so as to not get bearings from the bad batch, if they have not been pulled.

Good luck with yours. This has been a 6 month project for me. I am looking forward to hearing that your problem has been solved.

#45 ·
Do you know when your car was built? I got mine in May 2011 after ordering Jan 3, 2011. The dealer knew of the noise and FORD has a TSB out about Jan 24, 2012 on the problem and an Oasis memo to keep monitoring the noise when I first reported it and had my problem verified by the dealer.

#46 · (Edited)
My build date is 10/09/2011, so it's not one of the older 2012's. I'm going to try and look up that TSB because the service department here is starting to give me the run around already. "The technician took it out for a spin and he said he couldn't feel much of anything, but he's going to go a 2nd time to see." I've got a Progressive Snapshot device installed, and there has been no driving activity since I dropped the car off. I'm extremely pissed right now...

If I can't find it on my own here in a sec, where can you find any TSB details? On Ford's ETIS or anything similar?

#47 ·
Just got the car back from the dealership. After they had it for 8 hours, they finally test drove it to hear the hum for themselves.

Service Clerk: "Yes, the technicians did hear a slight noise. They determined it wasn't a safety issue, and that it isn't a big enough problem to service". [scream]

I'm beyond pissed, but I completely kept my cool....

Me: "Am I understanding you correctly? I spent about $20,000 on this car less than two months ago, and now you're telling me to drive off and deal with it, wait for the problem to get worse?
Clerk: "No, I'm not. I'm just saying there's a certain procedure that we here have to follow."
Me: "Send me off with a car that you just admitted has a problem, but you won't do anything about it." [slap]

I told him how I've been researching this all day and that this may be a problem with the wheel bearings, and then he brings up all the TSB's for my car and says, "Hmm... I don't see anything here about a hum or bearings." [facepalm]

I was through dealing with him, so I said I'm not leaving the lot like this, I'm not happy at all with how this is being handled. I got the service manager, and he was much more professional about it. Turns out, he got only about 2 minutes in the car and wasn't listening for the particular sound I had described. He apologized for wasting my entire day (and unspokenly acknowledging that they had mistakenly tried to blow me off). We rode in my car together, and took turns driving. We both heard the hum, and tried to identify the source. We both agreed it wasn't 100% obvious if it was coming from the front or back, but that it sounded like the driver's side was involved.

He's going to drive a car on the lot tomorrow with the same exact options as mine to try and compare the two (get a baseline from which to work off of). We scheduled a new appointment on Wednesday, and I'll drop the car off again that day.

Again, I'll let you know how that goes [wiggle]. Hope your issue was actually fixed as reported by the service department!

#48 ·
Just got the car back from the dealership. After they had it for 8 hours, they finally test drove it to hear the hum for themselves.

Service Clerk: "Yes, the technicians did hear a slight noise. They determined it wasn't a safety issue, and that it isn't a big enough problem to service". [scream]

I'm beyond pissed, but I completely kept my cool....

Me: "Am I understanding you correctly? I spent about $20,000 on this car less than two months ago, and now you're telling me to drive off and deal with it, wait for the problem to get worse?
Clerk: "No, I'm not. I'm just saying there's a certain procedure that we here have to follow."
Me: "Send me off with a car that you just admitted has a problem, but you won't do anything about it." [slap]

I told him how I've been researching this all day and that this may be a problem with the wheel bearings, and then he brings up all the TSB's for my car and says, "Hmm... I don't see anything here about a hum or bearings." [facepalm]

I was through dealing with him, so I said I'm not leaving the lot like this, I'm not happy at all with how this is being handled. I got the service manager, and he was much more professional about it. Turns out, he got only about 2 minutes in the car and wasn't listening for the particular sound I had described. He apologized for wasting my entire day (and unspokenly acknowledging that they had mistakenly tried to blow me off). We rode in my car together, and took turns driving. We both heard the hum, and tried to identify the source. We both agreed it wasn't 100% obvious if it was coming from the front or back, but that it sounded like the driver's side was involved.

He's going to drive a car on the lot tomorrow with the same exact options as mine to try and compare the two (get a baseline from which to work off of). We scheduled a new appointment on Wednesday, and I'll drop the car off again that day.

Again, I'll let you know how that goes [wiggle]. Hope you're issue was actually fixed as reported by the service department!
So what if any other cars on the lot make the noise. It does not make it a non-problem. My Titanium makes the noise too. FORD knows they have a problem as indicated by the Oasis bulletin. I do not have the TSB number but read the following summary of my problem. Feel free to copy this and take it in to the dealer.

We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, but not as pronounced. We hear it between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in Early August. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution, however OASIS SSM 21985 says to monitor OASIS for further updates. I told my dealer about the TSB along with my FORD CS Rep I had been working with. The next day the dealer service manager called and said to bring it in to have the recommended fix, which is to replace the two front bearings with the “NEW PART NUMBER BEARINGS.” If they don’t have a problem, why the new part number for the bearings?

#49 ·
I hear you with the car comparison idea. It makes no difference whether or not another car works fine, my car has an issue. Service manager told me that was his step 1 for most problems. Get a baseline, and then communicate with Ford the difference to get help with it. I was so happy to be leaving there tonight, trust me!

Thanks for posting the OASIS #. I had printed it out and shown that, but the clerk said that didn't apply to my vehicle. I swear to god I could have strangled him. I'm going to bring it up again on Wednesday to the service manager, whether or not things go south. Fingers crossed, thanks for that nice summary. This car will get fixed by the end of the month so help me god!

#50 ·
To FordCustomerService

By the way, if you happen to stumble across this Natasha, I PM'd you my info (VIN, contact information, etc.). I'm very worried that the service dealer is going to blow me off again on Wednesday when I go back in for my appointment. I would greatly appreciate any help in getting my car fixed. I bought a Ford because it's an awesome product that my family has always stood by. Having the service department try to shoo me away saying I had to wait for the problem to get worse really upset me. That's most definitely not what comes to my mind when I think FORD! [loveff]

#53 ·
By the way, if you happen to stumble across this Natasha, I PM'd you my info (VIN, contact information, etc.). I'm very worried that the service dealer is going to blow me off again on Wednesday when I go back in for my appointment. I would greatly appreciate any help in getting my car fixed. I bought a Ford because it's an awesome product that my family has always stood by. Having the service department try to shoo me away saying I had to wait for the problem to get worse really upset me. That's most definitely not what comes to my mind when I think FORD! [loveff]
Call Ford CS at 800.392.FORD and explain your problem with you car and dealer.

#54 ·
Hello again ruthrj,

My pleasure!

Like I said, keep me posted on the results and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Call Ford CS at 800.392.FORD and explain your problem with you car and dealer.
Evening jimmyt,

Thanks for the great advice.

Take care!

Noemi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.