Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 oil change message

36K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 ·
Whats the longest some of you have gone before your change oil message has come on? The owners manual says it may be as long as 10k , depending on driving habits . I'm over that amount , mostly hiway miles , no notice yet , but I'm going to change oil anyway as this amount of time between oil changes makes me nervous . Dipstick says okay , just worried some oil viscosity sensor thingy may be malfunctioning....

#2 ·
I bought a TC [see left panel] new. Oil change interval is 7500 miles [you got to be kidding!]
A Ford mechanic once said to me, if you want that engine to last, change oil at 3000 miles. I need the TC to last to 500,000 miles!
At one point in the literature Ford says the TC can last up to 150,000 miles [at 7500 mile oil change] What do you think the engine is good for if the oil change is at 3000 miles?

Now if one gets a car and will dump it at 100,000 miles, alright go with recommended oil change interval

#3 ·
yeah but 10k is the cut off, if you saw what your oil looked like when its draining after 10k its not pretty, even in a new car on full syntec i wouldnt go over 5k, my st is almost at 80k now and i change it every 4000 since i do alot of stop and go

#4 ·
Oil is changed a LOT more than needed, EXCEPT for those who NEVER bother to even check the level....

As long as there is oil in the engine, it probably WON'T break because of an oil issue...

On the other hand, I got into the habit of fall & spring changes, just so it doesn't get forgotten - and a little extra TLC keeps the vehicles running indefinitely....

Luck!

#5 ·
Oil is changed a LOT more than needed, EXCEPT for those who NEVER bother to even check the level....

As long as there is oil in the engine, it probably WON'T break because of an oil issue...

On the other hand, I got into the habit of fall & spring changes, just so it doesn't get forgotten - and a little extra TLC keeps the vehicles running indefinitely....

Luck!

#7 · (Edited)
We are coming to the conclusion the oil change monitor doesn't work on the 2012 Focus. There are multiple people over 10K miles with no warning, which is the max interval. I have 9400 miles with no warning. Problem is that the interval is so long and according to Ford it's varaible with miles, time elapsed, and use it's hard to diagnose why it's not working.

#9 ·
we are coming to the conclusion the oil change monitor doesn't work on the 2012 focus. There are multiple people over 10k miles with no warning, which is the max interval. I have 9400 miles with no warning. Problem is that the interval is so long and according to ford it's varaible with miles, time elapsed, and use it's hard to diagnose why it's not working.
arrrgh.

#8 ·
There is no sensor its just an algorithm in the computer that tries to guess when the oil should be changed depending on ambient temps, engine temp, speed and other things like that. GM has used a similar system since the 1970's with no increase in oil related engine failures. However lately they have had timing chain issue with certain model year vehicles (chevy traverse is one) due to the computer letting the cars go too long before triggering a oil change light. They were issued a TSB to recalibrate the computer to disalllow this.

#10 ·
yeah in the fiesta/focus its pretty stupid plus people coming in think the wrench light is on -____- and leaving oil in for that many miles causes sludge build up, maybe not much but over time it will hurt the motor

#12 ·
Hi Fumey,

Definitely mention it to your dealer so they can make sure everything is functioning correctly. Also, Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help. [:)]

We are coming to the conclusion the oil change monitor doesn't work on the 2012 Focus. There are multiple people over 10K miles with no warning, which is the max interval. I have 9400 miles with no warning.
Hey csvt2060,

I'm only seeing one poster with concerns, so if you notice anyone else, feel free to direct them my way and I'll assist. Since yours isn't quite there yet, there's nothing to worry about, but let me know if it doesn't light on your Focus. Thanks!

~Natasha

#17 ·
That panel comes off pretty easily, just a bunch of screws to undo. My Jetta has similar sound deadening panel so I'm used to it. Once its off, oil change is really easy.

Regarding intervals, my '05 ST has 205,000 miles on it and I used Mobil 1 and a 10,000 mile interval. Burns no oil at all, oil even comes out pretty clean. On the 2012, I changed the oil the first time at 5,000 and am watching the level since it seems to be using some. Totally different from the '05 which does not use any at all over 10k mile interval. So far I have 3,000 miles after the change and it has used half a qt. which seems excessive to me.

#19 ·
Nobody is kidding about a 7500 mile oil change interval, if it was a diesel you could go even further provided the oil was clean. The API sticker on the back of motor oils certifies that the oil will last 7500 miles without losing viscosity under normal operating conditions. If the engine is overheated, then oil should be changed. I change my oil when it's dirty on both of our vehicles, but that's likely to be closer to 5k miles than 10k miles. I use Ford's oil.

#22 ·
Wouldn't it be nice if it gave you a percentage of oil life left like all GM cars! Also I sure miss the instantaneous MPG like on the GM cars. While I'm at it I might as well whine about no power plug on the dash, running you GPS cord down the middle of the car to the arm rest is a pain. Also what I wouldn't give for just one more stinkin' knob to tune the radio, at least I haven't got the My Touch that seems lock up and you lose control of everything!

#23 ·
OK Natasha, I let my dealer know so they can report it to ford. Whether they do or not that's another story.

Also, there is a thread starting on blueovalnews with another Focus member over 10K miles without the message. His name is GaryG and he is very active hypermiler.

Seems like we are starting to see a pretty strong trend here as people are getting more miles on their Focus. There needs to be an investegation opened by Ford to figure this out since it's impossible for dealers to diagnose with such long periods between oil changes.

#24 ·
OK Natasha, I let my dealer know so they can report it to ford. Whether they do or not that's another story.
All dealers have resources to document issues such as these, and they are reviewed for trends, so I am glad you brought it to their attention. Thanks!

~Natasha

#31 ·
I initially changed the oil and oil filter at 2,388 miles. The second oil change (oil & filter) was at 12,278 miles. I changed just the oil filter at 20,297. At 26,500 miles the "oil change message" finally came on. I plan on changing the oil and filter in a couple of days. I have used only Amsoil 5W-20 Signature Series oil and Amsoil oil filters. Not sure why it took over 26,000 miles, but the oil is still pretty clear so I am not all that worried.

Also I am not sure if just changing the oil resets the message or if it will take cycling the keys or something to get the message to clear.

#32 ·
Maybe I am remembering incorrectly, but even if the oil is changed, some counter or gauge or something needs to be reset, correct?

I got my car from Carmax recently, and it had 9500 miles on it. Today, at around 10250, the oil change prompt started coming up. However, the sticker on the window says 12560 is the next scheduled mileage point.

Is it possible that Carmax didn't change the oil at all in this car? Or did they just forget to reset a sensor (much in the same way I reset the MPG counter or trip reader whenever I fill up my car).

#33 ·
As you're guessing, the car may be smart - but not smart enough to know if the oil was changed unless you tell it! So it's been counting miles, starts etc. since the last time it "knew" it had fresh oil to determine when it should be changed next - and that time just came up!

Unless you REALLY distrust Carmax, it would seem reasonable that they did an oil change, since the "sticker" mileage you report matches the usual 3,000 mi. between changes the oil change franchises promote for repeat business....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.