Another Airbag Light Question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90047
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Austin Avalon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another Airbag Light Question

I've been browsing many Focus boards and I haven't seen an answer to my exact problem yet. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have a 2005 ZX4 with 88,800 miles on it. The airbag light has come on and stayed on. Truth be told it's been on for a year or two now and I finally got sick of it. It just stays on, no blink or anything.

I took it to the dealer and it came up with code B2232 Air Bag Circuit Open - Loop #2, Front Driver side. I have never been in an accident. Air bag hasn't been deployed. The only thing I've done, and where it started happening, is I would drum on my steering wheel with my knuckles along to a song.

Dealer says the whole SRS is bad. I don't really believe that. Anyone have this same issue? How can I fix it and what in the world exactly does that code definition mean? I've read about clocksprings being the issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 15,109, Level 79
Points: 15,109, Level: 79 Points: 15,109, Level: 79 Points: 15,109, Level: 79
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 16 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Dealers LOVE to replace whole units. Easy, make a lot of money.
You have like ONE loose wire in the system.
Finding it though, may be hard to do. And if some dolt goes poking around in the airbag system, BOOM! your airbag goes off. The dealer is NOT going to do that. (then they have to give you a new one free...)
So if it was me, i would just forget about the stupid light......
If you MUST persist..
IF you found a junkyard steering wheel.. and swapped...??
And yeah, it is most likely some wire from the steering column to the wheel...
Old 09-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,933, Level 98
Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Avalon View Post
The only thing I've done, and where it started happening, is I would drum on my steering wheel with my knuckles along to a song.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

ok, seriously, that didn't do it. You can bang on the steering wheel all you want and the only thing that's going to happen is the horn might go off.

I believe you're right about your problem being the clock-spring. We have a How-To on replacing the clock spring, but I must warn you as Elizabeth did- you have to be careful of the air bag. Just some attention to detail and safety consideration and you will be fine. First rule: remove negative battery terminal before working on the electrical. Make sure it can't make contact inadvertently. When you remove the air bag module, be careful to ground yourself somewhere to release any static that might have built up while you were wiggling around on the seat working on the steering column. Remember to ground yourself later before re-installing the air bag module.

I'm off to go find that clock-spring How-To. If there's not a link here under this, then search our Complete How-To archive from the link in my signature.

Ah ha---- I had to use the Search function. Apparently this was never added to the How-To archive. Here's to infinite text storage

HOW-TO: Swap in Tilt Steering Column/Replace Clockspring.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90047
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Austin Avalon Good Standing Member
Lol, I figured my drumming wouldn't cause the issue. I just wanted to put it out there everything I've done. Glad it's nothing too big.

Is this the right part?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-FO...item336946185e

I actually used this site to install speakers and my head unit. But I'm not comfortable messing with the airbag. Thanks for all the help. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,933, Level 98
Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's really not that bad. Everything comes out in once piece, and static discharge is a one in a million uh-oh. It can be avoided simply by making sure you release the charge. If you don't go running your fingers across the electrical pins- you could hold a static charge and not do anything. As long as the battery is disconnected, there are no other worries about the air bag module. Those things do travel across the country on trucks in packaging.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old Today, 01:21 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 235234
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Mikegoat Good Standing Member
It's a simple fix all you need is the right size socket and some Ford electrical grease

http://youtu.be/b8jh1nYsWYY

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.