Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2010/2011 Focus Transmission Problems

72K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  mac.mogul 
#1 ·
I just wanted to update everyone about a problem I asked about earlier. About a month ago I reported on this forum hearing a buzzing noise from my recently purchased 2011 ford focus. I brought it to Ford to get checked out, and yes there is a Transmission problem...the annoying part it, they said there is no "fix".

What am I supposed to do, know I bought a car with transmission problems and even though it's under warranty just wait? I'm feeling pretty screwed over. I bought this car because the transmission went in my old car, I can't do it in a new car too.

Anyway, they said that the complaint has been heard by other 2010 and 2011 focus owners, but still, no fix the dealership can do. [?|]

#2 ·
How do you know it's the transmission? Originally I was getting a buzzing noise from my 2011 Focus too- it ended up being that the Power Steering Fluid was a little low from the factory, so it was making a buzzing noise. Check that.

#3 ·
Thanks I'll have them check that. As for the transmission this is where I was told the noise was coming from I was told at Ford.
This is exactly what happens. Okay say I'm at a red light, I'm stopped. Light turns green I go, between 15 and 30 mph I can hear zzzz, like a buzzing. It stops buzzing about after 30 mph.

#4 ·
im not much for diagnosis so i cant tell you if that is your problem or not but if i was you id go in that dealership and wouldnt leave without my car getting fixed. my moms got an 06 fusion that does the same thing and the dealership said we could not replicate the conditions after having it for 3 days. i offered to go deal with the dealership for her but she said no so im gonna get her an xcal and see it that helps any

#5 ·
Hi Autumnrenee1,

My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I’d like to look into this further for you. Cold you private message me your dealer, contact info, mileage and VIN?

Deysha

#6 ·
i have heard these same sounds in my 09 focus and always thought it was the radio or fuel pump but it isnt. now going down hill my car shudders like it want to come out of gear. have had sooooooooo many issues with the car . this car is junk. only thing that is good is the 43 mpg

#7 ·
Strange, hopefully you're still under warranty. I'm so annoyed- and embarrassed to have just boughten a new car and having problems already. My brother was looking at getting the same car, but I'm hesitant to recommend it. I'm just hoping ford actually comes out with a "fix".

#8 ·
What does the buzzing sound like? Like plastic panels rattling or bees?
I get a buzz when the engine is cold and I drive around 1-20mph but it sounds like it's in the dash above the CD insert hole.

44k miles with just one B solenoid replaced with an "updated version" a while ago hope it holds up *knock on wood*

#9 ·
Curious if any of you are familiar with the 'buzz' most newer Chrysler's make when slowing down?
If you are and that's the buzz you get, it's the line pressure of the transmission being lowered so the transition between shifts isn't jarring. It isn't anything wrong with the transmission. So it's basically a NVH issue.

#11 ·
Yeah I private messaged Fordcustomerservice. Maybe i'll try and get an audio clip of the noise if possible because everyone seems curious if it's the same noise as theirs. The buzzing kind of sounds like metal is hitting something. It also sounds like it's from the front of the car.

#13 ·
BuzZing

Hey, actually I ended up going to two ford dealerships to get the noise checked and I have documented confirmation that the car is making a buzzing/ grinding noise between 2 and 2.5 rpms. They said there is no fix yet but they have gotten many complaints about the same thing.

#14 ·
I just purchased a new 2011 Focus, and it has 12000k on it. I've noticed a problem in the transmission where it hesitates on take-off and then clunks into gear, and alot of clicking and clunking noises that weren't there when it was new... same story 'no fix' annoying . Feeling screwed as well:(

#15 ·
Hi toohip2bhere,

I'm sure it must be aggravating to still have transmission concerns. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist.

~Natasha

#16 ·
I purchased a 2011 (new) the end of February....almost immediately I started experiencing the same buzzing noise in the transmission. Took the car in for service 5 times so far, 3 of the 5 they kept the car 1-2 days each time, finally calling in an Engineer. He admitted to hearing the noise, felt is didn't qualify as a "common" noise on their OASIS reporting, but again, could not recommend a fix for the vehicle. I AM MORE THAN FRUSTRATED. They got my money, now don't care if my car is ever fixed!!!! Any advice would be appreciated, and my advice is to NEVER buy a FORD!!!

#17 ·
Hello sami1960,

I'm sure the multiple repair trips have been disheartening, and I can see you are angry. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can have the opportunity to assist.

~Natasha

#19 ·
Out of curiosity, are all of these automatic transmissions?

#20 ·
Mine is an automatic transmission. You would think its a manual because a good description of this buzzing-growling noise reminds me of when I drove a stick and didn't get it into gear before letting up on the clutch (it reminds me of that sound, just muffled). Its obvious there is a gear-mesh problem or an issue with the traction control they don't want to admit to, because it will cost them money!

#22 ·
Shame to see all these concerns over transmission problems. I just had a tranmission replaced on my 2006 Ford F-150 ($3,400) last week and bought this Focus (my 2nd) as a cheap daily driver here in NYC.

I'm hoping the various threads about transmission problems are an anomolly and that Ford will promptly step up and resolve it.

I find myself listening much closer for any noise . . .

:)

#25 ·
2011 Focus problems

Hi I have had my focus for almost a year now and for the last 9 months, yes I said 9 months out of 12 the transmission has kept going out. I've had it fixed twice already and last friday it acted up again while I was driving on the highway!!!It shifted on its own and redlined then my car down shifted on its own while an 18 wheeler was on my tail, by the grace of god I was able to pull on the side of the road and turn my car off. I could have been seriously injured and thats not the first time thats happened while I was driving the car. I thought the problem was fixed the first time, when it almost caused me to wreck as well. Now this is the third time and to be honest I'm terrified to drive my car again, the third time I could wreck!!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? what are my options with this new care?[?]

#30 ·
Hi I have had my focus for almost a year now and for the last 9 months, yes I said 9 months out of 12 the transmission has kept going out. I've had it fixed twice already and last friday it acted up again while I was driving on the highway!!!...
... I just got off the phone with a customer service rep and she advised me that I'm not authorized for a buy back at this time, but I do qualify to get a new transmission this time!!! Wow it only took three times for my transmission to go out for me to get a new one!!!...
Hi cvincf25,

Your frustration is heard loud and clear!

It sounds as though you have a Customer Service Manager reviewing your case. Would you be willing to provide me the case number via PM? I'll see what I can do from my end.

are there problems with late production 2012's transmissions? I'm thinking about buying a newfocus hatchback, but after reading all the trans problems I really have to think about it.it seems the late 2012 are better,or is that wishful thinking? thanks.
Hey longview,

It's understandable your concern after reading the thread. However, be aware, Ford has striven to address Focus owner concerns as well as educate on the ins and outs of the Powershift technology. When you have a moment, peruse the forum and you'll find owners who are happily cruising around in their Focus.

In the meantime, continue researching, but don't allow these concerns to stop you from owning your very own Focus.

Here's some info about the PowerShift transmission. Check it out when you have a moment and let me know if you have any questions.

Take care!

Noemi

#26 ·
My best advice - get rid of it!! Its my understanding that once a repair is attempted 3 times without success you can pursue lemon law. Ford requires you to go through the BBB first, which is a nightmare in itself. The problem with the process is you are just one person up against a big corporation. Guess who wins! Be prepared to become stressed and exhausted by the process. Good luck!

#28 ·
I would advise you not to buy a Ford Focus!! I just got off the phone with a customer service rep and she advised me that I'm not authorized for a buy back at this time, but I do qualify to get a new transmission this time!!! Wow it only took three times for my transmission to go out for me to get a new one!!! What a joke![bigcry]. The lady also had the nerve to say, we can't always anticipate when a cars mechanical system goes bad, well yes you can, don't sell me some crap you can't stand behind. I'm so upset with Ford and will never again buy anything Ford!!! It's a shame because I drive over 30,000 miles a year and get a new car every three years, and thats a lot of business that they get to miss out on!!

I hope whomever reads this, gets to be warned and saved from hours of stress!! buy GM products and save yourself time and money!!!! As soon as I get my car back I'm going straight to trade it in on a car I can count on.

And anyone who lives in the Saint Charles Area, stay away from Dave Sinclair, horrible service, they are equally responsible for not fixing my car right as well. So Please be warned!!! Horrible Horrible service!![?|]

#29 ·
Thanks for the advise, I went through the BBB, but the lady from Ford said I don't qualify for a buy back and that I should be happy with getting a new transmission.

I think she should get in my car and drive it around and see how she feels when the transmission goes out then I can say well, we can't always plan for issues!! Stupid Idiot!

#31 ·
i have 2010 ford focus, noise with no fix, @ 79,000 and change , tork kit done, direct drum had unusual wear, replaced same, then wrench light came on before it left shop, now PCM will be replaced, i noticed the noise @ about 34,000 been fighting ever since
and I dont know that any of this will fix noise. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.