CV joint question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
ajp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54748
What I Drive: Red 2003 EAP

FF Reputation: 8 ajp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
CV joint question

I need help diagnosing this problem, because I really don't want to buy a new CV joint and find out it wasn't the problem. Whenever I'm putting heavy weight on the front passenger corner while driving (making a sharp left turn usually, braking and accelerating doesn't matter), the corner starts clack-a-lackin pretty loud, along with mild vibration. No clacking when driving straight, but there is a clack or two when i get going from a stand-still (going straight).

I'm still going to take a couple people for a ride to exhibit it to them and get their opinions, but I would really appreciate it if you guys could tell me what you think. I want to install it at the same time I'm getting my suspension installed to save money.

Thanks,
ajp

PS Question: considering my front passenger side is the side where the shock is blown, could that have contributed to the CVJ failure? Or is 100k about the right time for them to bust?

Thanks again for your help guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
It probably is the CV joint....and I doubt the strut had anything to do with the problem. There's no set time those things should last......200k is not unusual. But it is unusual for one to fail if the CV boot has never split.

The grease that is in there doesn't leak out if the boot is ok......I'll bet your boot is split, and some/all of the grease is gone. Also.....repacking the grease along with a new boot usually fixes the problem. If you're going to have someone else fix the thing, it's a good idea to buy a complete rebuilt axle.....costs about the same as just a new outer joint.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
ajp
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
it's a good idea to buy a complete rebuilt axle.....costs about the same as just a new outer joint.
thats insane! thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
No kidding........It's a good idea to check around your town for a place that rebuilds the things. They normally sell to dealers, and then the dealer marks up the thing 100%+.

You might find one at a wholesale price. Be sure to tell the place if you have ABS....the axles might be different.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,157, Level 99
Points: 29,157, Level: 99 Points: 29,157, Level: 99 Points: 29,157, Level: 99
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'd go further than that, and I second the diagnosis that the strut had nothing to do with it.

The axle is easy to replace yourself, but no matter who replaces the axle you must drain the transmission fluid to change the axle. Depending on your transmission, this can add a lot of money to the repair. From my experiences, I never change just one axle- especially if the axles have gone out due to regular use without boot damage. Usually, if one axle has gone out, then the other is not far behind.

You seemed surprised that Bluefront recommended to replace the axle as the result of a bad CV joint. This is how it's done. Yes, CV joints can be rebuilt individually, but since this requires the removal of the axle, it's just as cost effective to simply replace the axle and both joints. Outer CV failure noises are what you're experiencing, inner CV's make a rattling sound, and a strong vibration while driving at any steady speed that will go away when accelerating. Inner CV problems are very difficult to diagnose because it tends to mimic suspension/steering problems.

The passenger side CV axle is more difficult to replace, and more expensive in a Focus due to the carrier bearing.

If I were you, I'd start saving my money. Drive very conservatively to limit the damage to the CV. I'd approximate the cost of both axles to be US$300. Check our How-To list, and I do believe there is a How-To on replacing CV axles. If you know someone who has done it before on any vehicle, then that would help. Part of the hurtle that a first time CV replacer has to overcome is the fear that prying on the axle to remove it from the transmission will break something. The process is the same for all FWD.

Be aware that there is a large nut that MUST come with the new CV axle. Wherever you buy the CV axle make sure there is a nut that comes with it. If a local rebuilder offers you a CV axles without a nut, that's ok, just be sure to purchase one from your local Ford dealer before performing the installation.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

If you want to save a few bucks, put a clean pan under the transmission, and when you pull the axle, you can save and reuse the fluid that comes out.

Also.....concerning the passsenger side axle that has a carrier bearing. All the ones I ever replaced did not need to be pried out once the carrier bearing was un-bolted. The axle would then just slip out.

The driver side has a snap ring that requires prying out.....not too hard.

It's also a good idea to replace the output seal if you remove the axle....but not necessary if the seal was not leaking. If you have a limited slip differential, reinstalling the axle can be tricky......
Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
ajp
Focus Enthusiast

start saving my money indeed... +rep to both of you.

Is it still reccomended that i replace the whole halfshaft if only the outer cv is gone?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
ajp
Focus Enthusiast

whoops double post
Old 04-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,157, Level 99
Points: 29,157, Level: 99 Points: 29,157, Level: 99 Points: 29,157, Level: 99
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Replacing the entire axle is the only way you're going to be able to do it. I'm not even sure what is done to rebuild the individual joints, but I know it would require the removal of the axle and a lot more time than it would take to replace the axle. Besides, the inner CV would be worn and repairing the outer CV then reinstalling that axle would definitely lead to inner CV problems at some point.

Call around to some rebuilders in your area as well as your parts stores. Use the time you have to do some price shopping. IMO, and this is daring, you don't really have to replace a CV axle until you can't avoid popping during straight acceleration. Baby it as much as you can, and it will last for long enough for you to get enough saved up for both axles. Factor in the transmission fluid you'll need as well, and if you have an ATX, I would replace the filter while doing this. For an MTX, you'll need to get Ford's recommended fluid from a dealer, or an equivalent fluid from a performance part supplier. Ford's fluid is expensive, but it's very good stuff. For the ATX, it uses standard MerconV.

If you DIY, you'll also need a 1/2 breaker bar and 34mm (I think, maybe 36) socket for the axle nut. A cheap 1/2 bar style torque wrench will be needed for the axle nut as well. OH, and a decent sized pry bar for the driver's side as well as the standard hand tools. You can rent a Tie rod tool, but you'll need tie rod nuts to re-install. Those you should be able to get at the Ford dealer. Do not use a pickle fork on your tie rod ends, there is another tool that will separate the tie rod without possible damage to the boot. Read in your shop manual, or purchase one if you don't have one, so that you understand how to properly remove the tie rod. When I've done these, I've found that it makes it easier to unbolt the top of the strut and remove the clip that holds the brake line to provide more space. You'll also have to release the lower ball joint from the spindle, but that's no big deal so long as you don't damage the boot.

I've never had to replace a transmission seal in a FWD, but as Bluefront said- if it's leaking, then you need it. If not, don't bother. You should be able to see a leak, if it's oily down there, then pressure wash that area, and see if the oily residue is coming from the diff.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

^^^^^^^I've never pulled a transmission pan to replace an axle. The drive shafts are higher than the pan, so very little fluid escapes when the axle is removed (on the numerous ones I've done anyway).

Tie rod ends.....never had to remove them either. I loosen the strut from the frame, or from the lower control arm, extend the tie rod all the way out by turning the steering wheel, and there is always enough free play to get the axle out. YMMV

I always worked flat rate at the three dealers I worked for, so it was necessary to do things as fast as possible to make the quoted time. At the same time if you screwed up, you ate the extra time it took to redo the job......so you had to be fast and accurate as well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.