Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Please Help - code P1506

22K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  lildisco 
#1 ·
Hey,

I have a 2001 Ford Focus Zx3.

I currently get a random Check Engine Light Pumping Out error code P1506. I have not found any leaks in the car. Now when the car is Idle in drive with the A/C on it gets really rough. Under 1,000 RPMS. Now im thinking its the EGR Valve or Mass Air Flow Sensor. Can anyone help thanks.

#2 ·
DTC P1506 is set when the PCM detects the engine idle speed is greater than the desired rpm. This is most commonly caused by a dirty or bad IAC valve. Cleaning the throttle body will, most likely, cure this problem.

#3 ·
I Cleaned the Throttle Body with Throttle Body Cleaner, Ran fine for about 2 hours then BAM Engine light again, Random Idle Up's and Downs. I was told to Clean the IAC but i cannot seem to find it. Do you recommend trying to clean it? I Was told its right under the Throttle body but i cannot find it?

Any other Help please?

#5 ·
The IAC valve is easiest to find with the [stock] intake duct removed (the one running from the air box to the throttle body). As you look from the front bumper, it's to the right of the intake manifold's centerline, sort of underneath one of the runners. From your DTC, I'd guess that the IAC valve has gone bad... but a tps will also trigger the same code if i remember right?

#6 ·
Alright i look for it on thrusday(By the time i get off of work its night so gotta wait till thrus) Any other suggestions from anyone else? Im going to be changing the AC Compressor soon as its starting to go.. But back on topic.... Any other People seen 1506 and resolved it ? Thanks.

#7 ·
#11 ·
Well it seems like I've finally located the IAC. It's way down toward the Drivers side in the middle. I can see the clip and maybe a screw.(Boss helped me find it) He said i most likely will need to get it on stands or a Jack to get to it. Im guessing the IAC Has to be the reason why im only pumping 200Miles to the Tank on a 2003 Automatic Zx3 What cha think iminhell?

#12 ·
Poor mileage may be from a vacuum leak but it wouldn't be the IACV itself causing low mileage.
People don't want to believe it but driving habits are the leading cause of poor mileage. They'd be amazed that you can gain near 5 mpg by doing the posted speed limit vs 10 mph over. So with out knowing your driving habits it's hard to pin down if it's a mechanical mileage issue or just the way you drive.

#14 ·
It's not just speed. I'm always surprised at the number of people that "stay on the gas" when the light half-a-block ahead turns red. Then they brake hard when they get fifty feet from the red light, only to take off like a jack rabbit when it turns green.

Not saying your girlfriend does this, but for example, on my Automatic Focus, I rarely see the tach go over 2,500 - 3,000 RPM when I take off from a stoplight, yet others who tell me they are very "gentle and easy" drivers say they hit 4,000 RPM a lot.

#15 ·
I've finally located the IAC but cannot get to it.... It has a wire coming off of it going to the Throttle body(Wire has a Sticker on it that says ford) I tried getting to it last night but the EGR Valve and other wires where blocking my way. Anyone know how to get to this damn thing a easy way? (Also EGR Valve was very hot on the bottom good or bad?)

#16 ·
I am going to have to replace mine, so I will let you know once I do. I'm hoping to get at it from below. If I can't get at it easily I will just remove my axle as I have a slow leak in that axle seal anyway which I wouldn't mind fixing. But I'm sure you don't want to do that for just the IAC.

#17 ·
Yeah im speaking with a master tech from ford (Mike) and he told me the only way to get to it is from under the car...

2 bad i only have the tire jack that came with the car and i don't think i wanna dare get under the car with that thing holding it up

#19 ·
you need an 8mm ratchet wrench or a 1/4 inch socket with a small 8mm on it in order to reach it from the top. You have to take your intake off, but it can be done from the top. I've done it and it seems to take more time doing it from the bottom because you really can't get a good angle on it. Plus you're feeling for the bolt holes blind. To each their own i guess [dunno]

#21 ·
uh....the box part basically pulls out. then you have to unscrew the clamp on the top of the intake manifold to get it off. disconnect the maf and PCV.

http://www.myzx3.com/how-to/mac-cai.htm
These are the only parts you need to worry about:

# Using your screwdriver, remove the clamps that hold the upper air duct to the throttle body and MAF.
# Disconnect the PCV tube from the stock air box. Leave attached to the valve cover...
# Remove the air box. Give it a good pull, it is only attached using rubber grommets.

#23 ·
Well i finally got to the Idle Air Control.. It was dirty plunger was kinda stuck but kinda not. So i cleaned it out put it back on. Car is still doing the same thing. Now im guessing it can be two things

1. IAC is Bad
2. Vaccum Leak

I've tried to find a vaccum leak by spreaying carb cleaner around as
many hoses as i could see. I've actually noticed when i press the gas in park the car will rev up and when i let car it will stay at a random RPM then go down. So Is it a Vac Leak or should i just go buy a new IAC?

#24 ·
I had a similar problem on mine from the thread i posted earlier. I got a New Gasket for the Throttle Body still no help. I then found some stuff called The Right Stuff gasket maker and i basically 'sealed' the Throttle Body to the Intake Manifold. I haven't had any weird Idling Issue's since. you can unplug the IACV from the car to see if it's doing anything. If it is, the car should stall, but if you have a vacuum leak, then it should idle fine.

#25 ·
well i unplugged the wire going to the IAC from the TB, All that did was give me a pending code of P0122(TPS). But im guessing i'd have to pull the wire from the iac and not the one going to the tb from the iac. But when i pulled the one going to the TB the car did not stall. Ran fine (A/C On max)

#26 ·
sounds like you have a vacuum leak around the Throttle Body Somewhere. I'd recommend getting a new gasket and seeing if that fixes your problem.

#27 ·
Sounds possible, Should i go to a ford dealer and get it? Also should i also just buy the whole tube going from the Air box to TB? Air box looks fine, Only thing i noticed is in the air box at the bottom right where the other box connects there is a quarter sized whole there. Could that be the issue?

#28 ·
no it sounds as though your missing something on your air box, it shouldn't cause your idling issue.

Get a new gasket and see if that works. DON'T OVER TORQUE YOUR THROTTLE BODY TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!!!!!!!! You'll be in a world of hurt later.

#30 ·
yes you want the Throttle Body Gasket. Best Place? I mean it should be around $10 or so where-ever you go. Best Place is usually a dealer, but they usually charge you an arm and a leg. If you don't mind waiting...you could give one of our sponsors a call and they could ship it to you, but i doubt you'll see much of a savings for the 3-4 days it takes to mail it to you.

#32 ·
Felpro Carburetor/F.I. Mounting Gasket
Part No. 61159

DOHC engine; Throttle Body Gasket; Per vehicle quantity 1

is what i come up with...there's no picture though, so i can't be sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.