Focus Fanatics Forum banner

A few DTCs... Need help (MAF or TPS?)

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  focusonthis420 
#1 ·
My check engine light has been on for a few months now. With it, my transmission began shifting strangely. I figured it was a problem with my transmission range sensor, since I had recently flushed my tranny and replaced the filter (I have an automatic if you didn't guess already by the FILTER!). I replaced that with a new one and it was no help (and yes, I made sure it was installed correctly). I lived with it for a few weeks until I got my used XCal2 unlocked. With my XCal2, I found a few codes: P1000, P1100, P1120, P1121 and last but not least P1125.

Here's the codes with their definitions taken from the "DTC Codes (Detailed Descriptions)" thread:

P1000 - Monitor Testing Not Complete The on board diagnostic II (OBD II) monitors are performed during the OBD II Drive Cycle. The DTC will be stored in continuous memory if any of the OBD II monitors do not complete. Vehicle is new from the factory
Battery or PCM had recently been disconnected
An OBD II monitor failure had occurred before completion of an OBD II drive cycle
PCM DTCs have recently been cleared with a scan tool
PTO circuit is shorted to VPWR or B+ or PTO is on during testing
The DTC does not need to be cleared from the PCM except to pass an inspection/maintenance test.

P1100 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Intermittent The MAF sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for sudden voltage (or air flow) input change through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during the last 40 warm-up cycles in key ON engine running the PCM detects a voltage (or air flow) change beyond the minimum or maximum calibrated limit, a continuous memory diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored. Poor continuity through the MAF sensor connectors
Poor continuity through the MAF sensor harness
Intermittent open or short inside the MAF sensor.
While accessing the MAF V PID on the scan tool, lightly tap on the MAF sensor or wiggle the MAF sensor connector and harness. If the MAF V PID suddenly changes below 0.23 volt or above 4.60 volts, an intermittent fault is indicated.

P1120 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Out of Range Low (RATCH too Low) The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for a low TP rotation angle (or voltage) input below the closed throttle position through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running the TP rotation angle (or voltage) remains within the calibrated self-test range but falls between 3.42 and 9.85% (0.17 and 0.49 volt), the test fails. TP circuit with frayed wires
Corrosion on TP circuit connectors
VREF open to TP sensor
VREF short to SIG RTN
TP sensor loose pins
A TP PID (TP V PID) between 3.42 and 9.85% (0.17 and 0.49 volt) in key ON engine OFF, continuous memory or key ON engine running indicates a hard fault.

P1121 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Inconsistent with MAF Sensor The PCM monitors a vehicle operation rationality check by comparing sensed throttle position to mass air flow readings. If during key ON engine running self-test the comparison of the TP sensor and MAF sensor readings are not consistent with calibrated load values, the test fails and a diagnostic trouble code is stored in continuous memory. Air leak between MAF sensor and throttle body
TP sensor not seated properly
Damaged TP sensor
Damaged MAF sensor
Drive vehicle and exercise throttle and TP sensor in all gears. A TP PID (TP V PID) less than 4.82 % (0.24 volt) with a LOAD PID greater than 55% or a TP V PID greater than 49.05% (2.44 volts) with a LOAD PID less than 30% indicates a hard fault.

P1125 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Intermittent The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for sudden TP rotation angle (or voltage) input change through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during the last 80 warm-up cycles in key ON engine running the PCM detects a TP rotation angle (or voltage) changes beyond the minimum or maximum calibrated limit, a continuous diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored. Poor continuity through the TP sensor connectors
Poor continuity through the TP harness
Intermittent open or short inside the TP sensor
While accessing the TP V PID on the scan tool, lightly tap on the TP sensor or wiggle the TP sensor connector and harness. If the TP V PID suddenly changes below 0.49 volt or above 4.65 volts, an intermittent fault is indicated.

I'm trying to determine if it is a problem with my MAF sensor, the TPS, or both. If someone can figure it out by these codes and their descriptions that would be great. If not, I'll just get a new MAF to see if that's the problem. If that's not the problem, I'll try a new TPS (even though I doubt that's it because I just replaced that like a year ago).

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I would provide you with the information you needed so you didn't have to search all over. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Is your ECU flashed with a performance software or it is stock? Do not buy a MAF sensor just yet. Clean it first with an electronic cleaner and see if this helps. I think you could also remove the TPS and clean it with same cleaner probably full of oil now. Reset the ECU by unplugging the - of battery, I like this way better than clearing the codes with your XCAL. See if this helps. Update us.

#3 ·
My ECU is still on the stock tune. I cleaned the MAF over the summer, right before going back to school, with MAF sensor cleaner. I will try to clean the TPS, but like it said, it's fairly new (only a year old) so I don't think that's the problem. I'll try resetting the ECU again (Yes I've tried it already. Even after half hour long drives with no check engine light, I'll turn the car off and the next time I start the car the check engine light lights back up). I'll keep you posted when I do it tomorrow after class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.