BIG Focus Trouble - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57534
What I Drive: 2001 Black Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 PaulMB Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
BIG Focus Trouble

I drive a 2001 Focus Sedan with the DOHC Zetec motor, and I'm having every problem in the book. Basically, it started with some EGR issues (which I solved with a new DPFE sensor), and some minor misfiring. The misfiring was happening on cylinders 1 and 3, so I replaced wires and plugs on all 4 cylinders, and the coil pack for 1 and 3.

Now, I'm having more major issues. Basically, the car will still drive. In no way am I stuck on the side of the road, although it will stall occasionally. BUT, at random times, it will begin to feel like it's going to stall or flutter, etc. This is mainly when the engine is warm, and more frequent on warmer days, and even more frequent with the AC on. However, it does happen randomly, too. Sometimes I'll go a whole day without a problem. Other days, I'll have just gotten on the road and it'll start acting up.

The biggest problem is, occasionally it'll get to the point where I can barely go 40mph...which isn't fun when trying to get to work 30 miles away.

These problems have been occuring over and over again for the past 2 months, and last night, my CEL finally came on again. Here are the codes that cropped up all at once:

P1132 Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1) ---This is a pending code---

Anyone who could help me would be GREATLY appreciated. These problems are taking a bite out of both my life and wallet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44
What I Drive: 2000 SE - Zetec Swap

FF Reputation: 63 zappaMan Excellent Standing Member
Did you ever have the fuel pump replaced because of the 'recall'? This is what my car would do before I had the pump replaced. It was always worse when hot, after the car had been driven for awhile, when going up hill, or with the AC on.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 37217
What I Drive: 2011 Yellow Blaze Fiesta SES

Points 4,168, Level 41
Points: 4,168, Level: 41 Points: 4,168, Level: 41 Points: 4,168, Level: 41
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 16 slipster17 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
write down you VIN and send it over to b16sir1991 on the boards here. He can let you know if your Focus was included in the fuel pump recall.

In all honesty, if the fuel pump isn't the issue, this sounds like the same exact problem I've been having. Though mine has progressed a little further down the line. Seems like I'm having trouble with the catalytic converter going bad. i.e. the honeycomb material is breaking loose and clogging the exhaust, especially bad on warm days with the AC running. I can remember when all it would do was flutter and threaten to stall, but now it just flat out won't run when the problem rears it head.

Look at my thread here and see if maybe this sounds like what you're experiencing.
Help with a problem please?

Carlisle All-Ford Nationals 2011 1st Place - Fiesta Class
Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57534
What I Drive: 2001 Black Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 PaulMB Good Standing Member
Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into all these things. Also, is there any chance this could be related to the O2 sensor somehow? My mechanic friend suggested that the O2 sensor might be defective.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 32,141, Level 100
Points: 32,141, Level: 100 Points: 32,141, Level: 100 Points: 32,141, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 46%
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I doubt it with problems that bad- the sensor would have to be completely unplugged - and then it would read "lean" instead of rich, but the car would run rich.

The problem could also be the fuel sensor or whatever the Zetec uses for fuel metering. I'm personally not thinking that the fuel pump is the problem because of the rich code, but I could be wrong. It could also be several problems. You're having a misfire in one cylinder, try pulling the spark plug to check the deposits and see if that will help you figure out what the problem is. If you're really running rich on all 4 cyls, then you should have black deposits all over the plugs. It might be not firing or misfiring, say from a loose plug, in one cylinder which is causing the 1st O2 sensor to believe it's running rich.

Best wishes. I'm not saying don't check your VIN, do that, but check your plugs also before you take it in for a fuel pump replacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.