Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Check Engine Light

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  adabass 
#1 ·
I had a fuel cap and check engine light problem. I replaced the cap and that seemed to have solved the problem.

However, when I keep the key in the ON position (not starting the car), I see three lights, battery, oil and check engine light. When I start the car, these lights go out. I tried searching a lot and I could not find whether the check engine light should go off after 2 seconds when the key is in the ON position (not starting the car). [dunno]

I need this information before I go for the Texas state inspection for my car.

#2 ·
If the check engine light is off when the car is running, you do not have an operating problem.

But as far as an emissions inspection goes, if you have recently disconnected the battery to clear codes, it is possible that the car has not completed all the "readiness checks," and would not pass emissions.

The only way to know if the readiness code is set or not is to get the OBD-II codes read. If they are not ready (car hasn't been driven long enough through enough cycles to complete the internal testing), you would get a P1000 code.

this has been discussed a few times and a sear of the messages for the code 1000 should bring up the relevant information.

#3 ·
Here's the details of the readiness cycle:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Basically, if the codes have been cleared, you need to make sure it is driven through several on-off cycles under varying conditions, and gets fully warmed-up, to make sure you do not get a P1000, which will cause you to fail the emissions test.

This P1000 DTC "feature" is done so that people cannot cheat on the emissions by clearing out the codes just before they go for the emissions check.

#4 ·
Ahhh... Thanks Penguin!! You are correct, I recently replaced my battery 5 days back with a new one. Since then I did drive my car to work once (30 miles one way), 70 mph cruise for 20 minutes and stop and go traffic for another 20 minutes. On other 4 days, just went to a place nearby, 3 miles from the house. The car was started everyday. Do you think that the car would have completed the "readiness checks"?

Also, is the CEL on when the key is in ON position, due to the P1000 code?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.