Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Engine Still Running Rough!!!

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  BlownSkillet 
#1 ·
My engine has been running rough for a couple weeks and then it got to the point where it would shut off after I started it, then I'd start it again and it would shut off till i started it gave it some gas then it would run..but still rough, alotta vibrating. I went to the dealership got new distributor cables and spark plugs , the engine light disappeared and it wasnt running rough anymore..the car even felt like it had more power..but after a couple days its back..same rough idling and vibating..not shutting off anymore..but i feel it's only a matter of time...anyone has any ideas??

#7 ·
Is it the idler motor? I fixed a chev caprice that the Idler spring was all gumed up. Try taking off the spring and giving it a good cleaning. Might as well, it wont cost you anything and will take about 2 mins of your life. Good luck with that.

#12 ·
Hey man,
Do NOT do anything before you look at your MAF sensor (MASS AIR FLOW)... It is connected to your intake!
Disconnect the cable and see if that will make a difference, if it idles better then your MAF is dirty and needs to be cleaned! Clean it with a Electronic Parts cleaner and see if that will make a difference

#13 ·
When is the last time you cleaned your battery posts & cables? Sounds trivial but I bought a 00 ZX3 last month and it was running like crap, spitting & backfiring. Thoroughly cleaned the cables & posts and that cured it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.