Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Cam/Crank alignment marks for new timing belt SPI/SOHC?

12K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  QwikKota 
#1 ·
Hello all, new here. I did multiple searches to try and find info on replacing the timing belt on an SOHC 2.0L but did not find what I was looking for. If anyone could please let me know the proper alignment of the cam sprocket and crank to install a new timing belt I would greatly appreciate it. The belt lost about 15 teeth and jumped time so the cam/crank need to be re-aligned. The tensioner still spins fine and doesn't have any axial play so I think it should be fine. High miles and would like to just get it running again. I've done cams on my SHO many times but there are dimples on the cam sprockets that need to be straight up and corresponding marks on the timing belt that make it pretty easy to put the belt on. Not many people mod the SPI so the searches online are mainly Zetec related. I've read this is not an interf. motor so hopefully the valves are all ok. Thanks in advance guys. Shop down the street wanted to charge $1000, I'm hoping to do it for about $30[cheers]

#2 ·
37 views and no replies after 5 days? Glad I am getting rid of this heap asap. For those of you that are in need of this info from the service manual it says that the missing tooth on the crank reluctor ring on the back of the crank pulley is 9 teeth from the crank sensor rotated clockwise. Then there is a notch on the timing belt crank sprocket that lines up with a tab or pointer on a bracket that attaches to the back timing cover. This needs to be done at TDC on Cyl #1, the passenger side end cylinder. Rotate the crank until the marks line up and the piston is all the way up. The crank mark lines up twice, but only one time is it at TDC. The cam sprocket is pretty easy. In between the spokes of the sprocket there is a point on one of the webbings which lines up with a dimple on the cylinder head behind the sprocket. It lines up at 12:00. Got it all back together, car runs fine at mid-high rpm but won't idle. Replaced the battery with a fully charged one, replaced the fuel filter, still no idle. Got a new coil and new plug wires but I doubt that's its. I really don't feel like buying a new IAC sensor just to have it not fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.