Focus Fanatics Forum banner

A great day at Laguna Seca

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  viney266 
#1 ·
Well today I went to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with my Dad and my girlfriend. It was so awesome up there. We got up there around noon just before lunch break and in time to see the superkarts. Those things were crazy! They were doing about 120 on some parts of the track and they were flying through the corkscrew. They are so low to the ground and so light that they can go extremely fast. Most of the guys didn't even have roll cages, just there heads sticking out so if it flipped they were screwed. After we watched that there was lunch break and we went to town for lunch because the food at the raceway is really expensive.

After lunch the porsche club of america went out on the track, those guys are amazing. Their cars were so loud! The wings on those things were at least 3 feet taller than the car on some. There were 911's 924's and 914's all out on the track together. That was a good time also. Then after the porsche club the mazdaspeed miatas went out on the track.

Those things looked like a lot of fun to drive. We sat on the bleachers of turn 3 and on almost every lap there were guys spinning out into the dirt because they were going too wide. Watching those guys just made me want to get out there with em, but since I don't have a miata, or know anything about real racing I just had to sit in the stands, watch and take pictures. After the miatas was the formula ford zetec championship.

All of you are probably thinking that I'm talking about focuses, but the cars they were using were formula style cars with the 2.0 litre zetec engines in them. Those things had to be the loudest cars on the track, but they were a lot of fun to watch. My dad told me that I should go get my car out there. He said I should bring my car to the track and tell the officials that I also had a zetec engine and should be allowed on the track. He was just joking, but it would have been really funny if I tried it. After this the miatas went out again and after them the real fun began...The drifting shootout!

Okay, so this event was the real reason I made the 70 mile treck to Laguna Seca today and boy was it worth it. There were cars of all types that turned out for the $10k winner take all drift competition today(finals are tomorrow). Mostly imports, but there was a new Pontiac GTO out there that put the imports to shame. The other cars included a Dodge Viper, (2) Nissan Silvias, A Nissan 180sx and 240sx, Toyota Supra and (2) Nissan 350Z's. Just the smell of the rubber left me aching for more. The first turn of Leguna seca is a complete 180 and this is where the competitors started there run. They started from the straight, slid around turn one and went straight into turn two. Then they stopped at turn three, turned around and did turn two into turn one. The GTO tore it up, he started by burning his tires from the straight all the way into turn one and sliding around the whole turn. then he burned his tires in the straight between turn one and two and then slid around turn two. He continued to burn his tires until he stopped. He burned them the entire way without stopping. The driver of that car was amazing!

My day at Leguna Seca was one that I will never forget. It was so exhilirating hearing the engines roaring! Watching the cars makes me want to be a driver of one of those things some day and I plan on working my way towards that goal throughout college. I'll have pictures of the event up asap and some videos that I took on my digital camera(no sound, but still sick!) If you live near monterey and want to see the drifting, the finals is tomorrow at 4:15 p.m. at leguna seca. I can't make it, but if any of you go please tell me how it went.

Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds awesome! [thumb] Laguna Seca looks like it would be a great track to race on just for the fun of it, it has a nice layout. I would love to try my hand at the corkscrew - I've gotten pretty good at racing Laguna Seca on GT3, but that ain't REAL. [rolleyes]

#5 ·
Sure! Ford makes them cheap and available ( the engines).. Great to hear you had a good time, I love racing, and yes the carts are nuts....Try getting into a spec type race class it is the easy and cheaper way to go ( like the miata challenge or spec vw)

#12 ·
Holy old thread batman, I don't think Dan even browses these forums any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.