Vortech not starting - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 3472
What I Drive: Nissan S14

FF Reputation: 1 climo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Vortech not starting

Long story short (i did not install) I have a vortech s/c'd focus (non svt) that is giving us some problems. Install was some 6 months ago and it has been running fine ever since yesterday when it died on the fwy.

towed it home and it seems like it ran out gas but I know for sure it has at least half tank.

If you let it sit for a few hours it will actually run for a few seconds then turn off. appling the accelerator does nothing.

I checked all fuel related fuses but all it good there. I know the about the fuel pump cut off switch but I reset it and nothing changed.

I read that you must send in your ECM to vortech and they send you an new custom ECM that has the correct maps. I wonder if maybe this has something to do with it not starting.

does vortech include a inline fuel pump with this kit? maybe it died?

Like I said we have not built or installed anything on this car. the install shop is over 600 miles away and they are no help. I just need some guidance on where to look. I'm familiar with hondas and turbos but not really too much focus.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 52,987, Level 100
Points: 52,987, Level: 100 Points: 52,987, Level: 100 Points: 52,987, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I would say check your fuel psi there is a recall on the Focus fuel pumps and this may be your problem an easy way to tell is with a scan tool and check your fuel psi

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-12-2004, 01:10 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3346
FF Reputation: 1 MAD Performance Good Standing Member
sounds like you don't have the install manual anymore. if at all possible you should do the install on something like this yourself, it will help you out if something ever happens.

Here is the manaul:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...s/4fj218im.pdf
Old 02-12-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

I was able to d/l the vortech manual the other day. It seems like the fuel pump quit so I'm going to check that first. anything else I should check?

update:
I removed the line from the fuel filter and when I turned the key fuel did squirt out but then it stopped. Shouldn't it keep on flowing if the key is on? i want to make sure its the pump before I drop the tank.

Last edited by climo; 02-12-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 52,987, Level 100
Points: 52,987, Level: 100 Points: 52,987, Level: 100 Points: 52,987, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
No it may not keep squirting ,,You need to test this with a scan tool for fuel PSI its the only way

You DO NOT need to change the pump it is a national recall for the focus and is free at the ford place even if you have the Vortech

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-12-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

if you mean the key is on the "ON" position, no it won't keep squirting. It is "priming" it for the car to start.

I miss my aftermarket one........you could hear the whine from outside the car.....it was mean.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

another update

Ok check this out. We elected not to replace the pump since the flow of fuel out of the pump seems normal. I guess the pump does not stay on it pulses depending on the pressure.

Ne way, I leave it alone for a few hours then I think, I wonder if the factory alarm has anything to do with it not starting. At this point I will try anything. I sit in the car with the doors shut and begin to cycle thru the remote. Lock/unlock, panic etc. for about 5 minutes or so. After the last unlock I hear a click over by the passenger kick panel. Not sure if it was the ECM or the fuel cutoff switch. Excited, I insert the key and turn it. What do you know....it started!! What puzzles me is I don't think the factory alarm has a fuel cut circuit. I thought it only locks/unlocks the doors and sounds the horn. Does the factory alarm have a fuel cut built into it? Or something that prevents fuel flow or spark maybe??

I really don't know what made it start again. I did not do anything to know for sure if it was the alarm or not. I just came back from a 30 mile shakedown and everything seems fine.

anyone have any ideas??? strange but true.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

i've never ran across an alarm with a fuel cut system....more common is a starter kill.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.