Diablo MAFia Correcting more misinformation - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,586, Level 100
Points: 53,586, Level: 100 Points: 53,586, Level: 100 Points: 53,586, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Diablo MAFia Correcting more misinformation

Diablo MAFia Correcting more misinformation, Let me post the MISINFORMATION first and then i will cover some facts

Its stuff like this that hurts new Focus products you would think that people IF they didnt know what they were talking about would at least say nothing

" BUR_ZX3 fj Sorry no. Do NOT go with the MAFia. All it is, effectively, is a variable resistor that changes how much voltage is allowed through. Your metering will be all off. You don't want to change the voltage, you want to increase the range of measurement.
****Lets start here I have tested about 30 of these now and NEVER seen one off the first order i got was 5 and i tested all 5 of them on the same car and everyone was EXACTLY the same as to where and how the voltage was in line with the other 4 MAFia not even a 1% Diff
Please people dont listed to people like this , this guy has never tuned a car in his life and ill bet he has never bought a MAFia let alone done any testing with one

Now to FACTS the MAF can only work in a 0 to 5 volt range any meter OBDII that you use will be the same on that fact BUR_ZX3 says "You don't want to change the voltage" with the MAFia used you DO NOT change the voltage it is still a o to 5 volt. Then he says " you want to increase the range of measurement." Thats correct and it is EXACTLY what the MAFia does

"BUR_ZX3 fj Any tuning option worthwhile should be plug and play with any Ford OBDII MAFS. For boost, I really think the best options are the Mustang GT, the Lighning 80mm and 90mm if you need it that wide. Those cars make far more horsepower and move far more air than a focus will... so you'll be perfectly safe in one."
****The MAFia is exactly that a "plug and play" makes your Focus MAF do EXACTLY the same results as using a GT MAF . But with the option of using a smaller MAF tube for ease of install and looks as well as better idle , tip in response the 80mm and 90mm is a little big for a 2.0 engine and the readings at idle are a little low, they can be used but that is a choise for each to make

Then we get a shop that people actually listen to say
FocusSportVP The MAFia is a waste of time and money. If you're going to do it, do it right and step up to a MAF that can handle the power output of the given application

The MAFia is as right as it gets, it is affordable , it works , its plug and play , it adjusts to where your not using a LARGE MAF and only using 40% of it because it has to much range ,its easy to set , it looks good , you will never need to change meters again , it makes your stock MAF electronics more powerfull because of all the options in range and never having to recal or look for another MAF later , it works with ANY software, no dealing with bulky 4 bolt flanges and adaptors because you can make or buy your own tubes , its accurate

I just wish all the misinformation about stuff from Co that should know what there talking about would stop. If you dont like the product at least say why, I dont like SC but i say what the down falls are to them and why

I welcome from both the reasoning behind not using them and from randy how many he has tested and what was the problem with the ones he tested

The Diablo MAFia is a very good tool and it works well, I have tested it and have not found any issues or problems why there not safe or accurate to be used to over 700HP

Tom

Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6129
What I Drive: 2000 Black boosted ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tobyboom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
And that sir is while I will be using one in the near future.
1/8: Dont remember at the moment
POWER: 302.25 HP 278.66 TQ
MODS: Custom Focus-Power Intake System
Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 AM   #3
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

Points 16,680, Level 82
Points: 16,680, Level: 82 Points: 16,680, Level: 82 Points: 16,680, Level: 82
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (38)
Well, I got to hand it to you Tom. I definately learned about this product, and should I ever need it, I wouldn't hesitate to benefit from its' purchase. As such,
it does us all a good service to clarify erroneous statements. Your stepping up on this issue is commendable. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2792
FF Reputation: 15 Yel900rr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
You hit that nail on the head Tom. We use these and they work very well. I have done several Mustangs and Cobras with over 500+ whp and they work fine.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:59 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 461
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 1,494, Level 21
Points: 1,494, Level: 21 Points: 1,494, Level: 21 Points: 1,494, Level: 21
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 petik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
So how does it work?

Also, I can buy a brand new Mustang GT MAF sensor for about $120 shipped. How much is the MAFia?
'99 F350 PWS 4x4 Dually - chipped, 4" exhaust, intake, stg1 injectors
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
OK, maybe I'm confused. You state that they use 0-5 volts but then Diablosport states that it extends the voltage limits.

Quote:
The MAF.ia. (not MAFia - it stands for MAF Interface Adapter) is a device that works with the factory Ford MAF sensor to extend voltage limits using multiple settings, for 400 to 825+ RWHP, supercharged or high horsepower naturally aspirated Ford applications.
This has me believe that they go beyond 5 volts since they say extend.

Yes, No ?

Also, what about the IAT sensor on the stock MAF connector.
Is that signal passed through the MAFia cable ?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 461
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 1,494, Level 21
Points: 1,494, Level: 21 Points: 1,494, Level: 21 Points: 1,494, Level: 21
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 petik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
dunno about the IAT, but i'm pretty sure the range is still 0-5V (just corresponds to different air flow values) since your ecu wouldn't like that signal to go higher...
'99 F350 PWS 4x4 Dually - chipped, 4" exhaust, intake, stg1 injectors
Old 12-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #8
FF Affiliate

Points 53,586, Level 100
Points: 53,586, Level: 100 Points: 53,586, Level: 100 Points: 53,586, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 43%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
petik as i said the GT MAF will work the MAFia is 149.00 and will mean as you go up in boost you wont be changing MAF electronics and as you have lower boost you MAF signal will be better because you using the proper range for what your doing

I dont like 80 and 90MM MAF housings you dont get as good a signal with the larger units as you would with a 3 inch tube or a 70MM. I also dont like the 4 bolt flanges there bulky and the hoses to adapt them are also costly where as making your self or buying a 3inch tube is much easier to use

The MAFia is as good as your stock electronics are it still has a 0 to 5 volt range but gives you more range for boost within that 0 to 5 volt limit

Yes the IAT carries through the MAF wiring

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-21-2005, 11:54 AM   #9
FF Affiliate

Points 53,586, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 43%
The misinformation just keeps coming. Here is more wisdon from BUR_ZX3

"But the problem is, when people return to the adaptive learning.
So the rule of thumb: If you're OK without adaptive... then MAFia is OK for you. If you want your PCM to still have adaptive... then you might look elsewhere
****Where did this rule come from, who said this or has proven this to be true,I can prove it to be more misinformation

And it is NOT an external means of changing the transfer function. Its a external manipulation of the voltage that the MAFS is sending.
****Guys please how can it NOT be changing the MTF if it is changing the voltage the ECU is seeing , Do you guys see how full of BS this guy is more misinformation from some one that has never even installed one or tuned with one

I fail to see how this is any different thank those ebay resistor mods that we see all the time.
****Beleive me i can see how you cannot see the difference. With all your vast knowledge of how the MAF works this shocks me

Acutally I do see how it could possibly work... turning off the adaptive learning in the PCM. Because I think the PCM would realize that its not getting its full range of voltage, and start to compensate.
****Not getting its full range of voltage. First the MAFia`s 7 settings can get its full range of voltage as well or better than sticking a 90mm MAF on and it never seening 4 volts and only working in the lower range all the time 2nd) there is NOTHING in the adaptive learning to make up for or change "getting its full range of voltage, and start to compensate."

It amazes me people listen to guys like these listed with all the misinformation that allways comes out of there mouths and people flock for tuning and information and they dont even know or understand how things work

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
FF Affiliate

Points 53,586, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 43%
WooWoo good job

"the maf.ia does seem to work linearly. it has 8 settings, 0-7, which allow various levels of manipulation, translating to various peak maf counts/voltages or various peak power levels. this is good in that you can set the maf.ia for lowest peak power levels that you dont expect to exceed and not have to sacrifice as much low flow resolution."

This is exactly what it does and how it works ,The "7" setting is just a slight 5% and does not do much for range you have 5 working settings that do adjust the range of the meter

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.