BIG nitrous - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4112
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
BIG nitrous

I know a few brave souls have run a 100 shot on the zetec, some far more successfully than others. haha. Wondering who's turned it up the farthest? We've managed to max out the plate system on the blue car (zx351) and are in the process of upgrading to get more sauce, which got me wondering about my system on the lil 4 cyl. I have as many bases covered as far as safety and strength, my only concerns left are those of tuning. fs won't burn me a chip, which I'm sure is a blessing in some form, and I've found an sct guy here in tulsa who's gonna help me out with the tuning, and our local hondata guy will be running the show. I also got a dyno sponsor, so I have as much time as it'll take to get it right. My first goal is 150 shot, that on top of the new motor should put me somewhere mid 3's to the ground if I can keep it together. I'd really like to discuss things with those who have gone before if there are any... such as timing retard etc. My fuel system is nearly complete, so I'll be ordering a safeguard sometime in the next couple weeks. I'm mainly wondering at what retard to set it for say 100 and 150. Any insight (from those who have been there) greatly appreciated. Thoughts, ideas, questions... put em out there. we've been in need of a useful nitrous thread for a while now

g

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17879
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 pimpfocus03 Good Standing Member
you obviously have a death wish
Old 06-07-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
Focus Addict

no so much as a fast-wish.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7447
What I Drive: a car?

FF Reputation: 1 213slayer666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
150? damn, i'm too scared to run more than a 50.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3229
What I Drive: 2002 1/2 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Knuckles899 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Viney your a wild man , yea ive heard of people running 100 shot pretty much stock but im sure with tuning. Man this sucks tho, look how i messed my engine just on a 50 shot.
Viney keep us updated on how this is working out for you, seems like your gonna have all the saftey stuff covered so good luck.

Brandon.
MODS: FR head milled .040, Ported 2000 intake manifold, FR stage 2 cams, Nitrous Express wet kit with bottle heater, Esslinger cam gears, SCT Xcalibrator 2 self flasher( Mcnews automotive ), Obx 4-2-1 header, Bosal flex pipe, Borla 2.5 catback w/ Vibrant resonator, Steeda high flow fuel rail, VF engineering motor mounts, Screemin demon coil pack w/ wires, Ported throttle body, Custom short tube intake, Custom Grounding kit, Short throw shifter, Eibach sportline springs and struts, falken ziex tires, Rear seat deleted. = one bad motha fucca
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
Focus Addict

<looks around for viney>

yeah I ran a 75 shot for a long time on stock interns, I know the new gear will hold it, its just a matter of teaching our "rainman" ecu to learn new things.

as far as nitrous, I have a standalone fuel system that feeds just the direct port 111 octane, window switch, fuel/oil pressure switches, wot switch (of course), toying with a progressive controller, but not sure yet, js safegard, popout safety "freezeplugs" in the intake mani just incase, blah blah... forged everything, huge exhaust from cam to tailpipe... crap i know theres more... what else?

g
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 240,849, Level 100
Points: 240,849, Level: 100 Points: 240,849, Level: 100 Points: 240,849, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Well....we had a fellow at the shop running a 150 shot on his built b18 civic.. He was a fool in my opinion and ran it all at one time..in a single shot...silly

If I were doing that on a 4 cyl. I would def. have a safeguard to listen for knock.. as you know any det. at the level will wreck you.

Next I would stage it in..Either just set up two different nozzles..or the right way to do it IMO would be like a 50 shot at a standard nozzle with a direct port spraying the other hundered...you could even put electonic control on the direct port hit to stage it in slowely ( that costs $$$$ , NX has the set-up in there catalogue for 700-800 bucks ) over time.

Put the direct port setup on first and have the nozzle set-up spray off a button, only spray the last 50 after you regain traction and are on the top end.

I know you know this squatch but this is for everyone else...ONLY run this on race fuel

Last but not least, pull an a$$ load of timing and dial it back down... I use a snap-on mechanics ear to listen for knock, you can clip it on the block and also put an end on one of the probes to fit an O2 bung...Det. is the enemy here..

Never done it with a fofo.. I will answer what I can.. also Tom is very knowledgable about nitrous.. I would seek his advice as well.

Also at this level make sure you have a free flowing intake..you need lots of air

Last, watch the rev limiter for a backfire..do whatever you need to stay out of that..
Old 06-08-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
Focus Addict

lots of good points, i'm looking for roughly how much timing is "an assload" i think the js can go 12 degrees at an instant. from what i've heard the nx direct port loves a progressive controller and works very nicely, so i think thats the road i'm gonna take. everything so far just in the nitrous setup is well over 3k so i'm not cutting any corners, and i don't have a fuel solution or the js yet, haha. dammit this is an expensive project.

g
Old 06-08-2005, 07:07 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I agree with viney, use a dual stage system, and split it. I would just do two 75 shot stages
Old 06-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 240,849, Level 100
Points: 240,849, Level: 100 Points: 240,849, Level: 100 Points: 240,849, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The direct port can be jetted as low as a 75 shot if you call NX..It is listed down to 100, but it can go to 75. I would definately jet it to 100 and use the progressive controller to start it off small..

I installed one of the first Gen progressive controllers on a bike ( the older controller with the knobs). It was kind of stagy but it worked fine. The new electronic one should be even smoother.

As far as the timing, I would pull maybe 8 degrees to start.( mind you that is an educated guess).. Do you have some way to listen for Detonation?? You need to with that size of hit..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.