Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Turbo Question

566 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  faultlessfocus 
#1 ·
Ok this isnt a question for my car unfortunately. Im putting a turbo kit on my friends car, a 96 integra ls. The problem is this. The manifold is a cast-log style with a flange on it thats about 1" thick. When we did a mock-up to the car, the header studs in the block were not long enough (they came to the very top of the flange) to thread the nuts back on. So, I can either take the manifold to a machine shop and get about 5/8" machined off of the header flange, or I can get longer studs. I tend to favor the first because breaking a stud terrifies me. But if it has to be done, I will. But I appreciate the input either way. And if anyone has any idea what the pricing is for either thatd be great too. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
most definitely, i would go with getting longer studs... the last thing you want is warping a flange, especially with all that extra heat being generated, longer studs are available at autozone, and really, i think they are grade8 so you shouldnt have to worry so much about them breaking or anything, and i will gladly stand corrected, but i think machining somthing that is cast can greatly compromise its structural integrity

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.