Boost problem (last resort) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23268
What I Drive: 1999 Blue ZX2

FF Reputation: 1 ZX2boosted Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
fixed Boost problem, now smoke prob.

Ok i'm on my last resort...I tried everything and I have ran out of options...I have a boosted ZX2...It has a brand new T25 all work done myself...you can check out my pics for more details. So I installed everything and it all work except I was only getting 2psi max check all pipes found one leak...fixed it...still no more psi. Check every line over and over doing a compressor test (hooking air compressor to intake). Still nothing...checked gauge...that works, I checked each pipe seperate for leaks put it all back on and still nothing. Then I plugged the camshaft breather and I would make boost (I had the stock one on...since then I just put a filter)...so people said to remove the PCV hose...did that and ran my gauge and BOV off the mani and left the hose hang. When I do a compressor test I get boost on my gauge and my WG opens...but when I drive now I see blue smoke (burning oil) from my exhaust and still NO boost...Seriously I don't know what else to do and NOTHING is helping...any other suggestions before i rip this all down and either start over or put it back to stock. Thanks!

Last edited by ZX2boosted; 05-20-2005 at 05:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2019
What I Drive: TwinCharged SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CHIBULLSAN Good Standing Member
I would like to first say, from experience, do not take out the PCV hose from a vacuume source. What will happen with this system is your piston rings always let air past, now the more air you pressurize in the cylinder the more can get past as well as the more worn they are. This will pressurise your crankcase. Youll need to PULL that out with a vacuume source. Some can run an expensive electric vac pump or just use the motors vac from the manifold. Now under boost youll need to have a good one way Positive crankcase valve. This will ensure no boost stays in the crankcase for long. This should stop your oil smoke problem. I had this problem. Then you vent the valve cover to a catch can and a filter.

UNLESS the turbo is no good - you should be getting PSI, assuming that your car is running fine.

Does the car idle ok? Whats your vac at, at idle?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

i'm going to try to buy a new PCV valve hope that should stop the burning oil...maybe i'll put the line back on and see or do I need to leave it the way I have. At idle i'm getting around 20 vac. and it idles perfect pretty much right at 900rpms...sometimes it will just drop for a sec to no lower then 700rpms. Would a kinked drain lead to burning oil? or not getting boost?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I can say yes, an oil drain backing up will cause burning oil. It will be forced out the shaft into the intake and exhaust. I have had it happen. I had to buy a very expensive oil pump to fix it. And it is possible that enough oil on the wheels can cause a slow spool, or enough oil sludge or dried oil residue can do that as well. I think maybe Tom can awnser that better. But thats my take on it.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:58 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Well I checked the intake and there is no oil in there...I haven't checked the exhaust until I rip it all out...it seems to pull a little bit more so i'm going to check the gauge again...i'm still getting a light blue smoke...it puffs a little at idle but a little more when accelerating
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,647, Level 100
Points: 53,647, Level: 100 Points: 53,647, Level: 100 Points: 53,647, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Let me try to clear up why i take out the PCV

Taking out the PCV does not change the engine from breathing it still breaths as good or better as if it was hooked up because under boost the PCV is closed off and nothing comes out of it (if the proper PCV is installed a one way) with opening it it breaths all the time even under boost

The purpose of the PCV is to draw contaminants out of the engine this consists of HOT oilily bybroducts of a running engine , This goes into the intake HOT and oilily and can lower octane and cause many problems , This DOES NOT need to be going into an engine that is being used for performance

Both the valve cover breather and the PCV in my opinion needs to be vented to the ground or a catch can and the engine will breath very well this way

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Well for me, the car would smoke at idle then alot at WOT and the dipstick would blow out if I didnt have the vac hooked up to the PCV. I blew into the valve cover with my mouth, and when I took my mouth away air shot back at me, so I know in MY case the open crankcase (NO PCV) wasent letting the air out fast enough on its own. In my case I needed a vac source to remove the excess perssure. This may not be the same for everyone i guess.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 16234
FF Reputation: 1 96mercury Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Could be you have a bad turbo. On my neon when the turbo went out I had very little boost and lots of smoke and none in the intake. It was because of excess shaft play in the turbo itself. I am using a PCV valve for a 2.3 turbo t-bird as the ones from the dealership only flow one way, the ones from the parts stores for a turbo t-bird are junk. No boost yet but that is what was reccommended to me on www.contour.org
Old 05-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 274
What I Drive: 2008 Black SRT4

FF Reputation: 2 knightriderzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
aaahhhh. i forum for everykind... love seeing that
Old 05-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

so i found the problem....it was my WG all along...i but in my manual boost controller i had ordered but didn't want to put in right away (to cut down on problems) and a friend said too try it so i did and i'm making boost now...the next problem i have to fix is my burning oil smoke...at idle it puffs but driving longer there is more...my oil drain seems fine..5/8" has no kinks really and goes straight down..i did find oil in my exhaust dripping a little out at the flex...is this really bad? could it be related to the PCV valve?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.