Gauges? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 252
What I Drive: ZX3 S2 modded--Just a touch

Points 2,814, Level 32
Points: 2,814, Level: 32 Points: 2,814, Level: 32 Points: 2,814, Level: 32
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 liquid01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gauges?

Just that. What type of guages (brand) have any of you used in the build of your cars? I have looked at several styles and makes and need to decide very soon any input is great. I prefer the white background with black numbers and hash marks.. But I`m still not sure. Also how many of you prefer digital to mech. Also who do you think has the best looking pillar pod for them?...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
deleted, didn't see it was Forced-Induction chat.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Points 2,814, Level 32
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Sorry maybe I should clarify it a little. I Would like to know what you think are the best auges for the a-pillar pod mounting location. I will be using the three pod cluster. One for boost-one for F/A ratio- and the other for oil pressure.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i never really liked the position of A-pillar gauges, in my humble opinion...

The gauges at that location are like "blam all up in your face" and you have to really unfocus on the road to get a glance at the gauges.

For a boost gauge, i'd say right above your steering colum. Most subaru wrx/sti's, some mazda's run with this configuration.

What kind of A/F meter are you using? does it come with it's own calibrated o2 sensor? people tell me some, or most A/F ratio gauges don't provide an entirely accurate measurement.

what do you think?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4112
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
Autometer gauges are second to none for accuracy and durability. You can spend 10x the money and get some jdm ones that you can tell your buddies what kind you got but they're no better. I'm a big fan of the phantom line, white background, black numbers that are easy to read, and orange pointers. The bezel is black too which draws the eye to the white.

That being said, if you're going to boost, get a wideband air/fuel. The narrowband (standard) air/fuel gauge really tells you nothing. I run one because it's cheap and it tells me I'm in the rich and staying there at wot if I'm spraying big, but that's it. Other than that it just bounces around. The wideband costs a lot more, but well worth it when you can tune your car off of it. They're generally around $450. In my pillar pod I run an electric fuel pressure, electric nitrous pressure and exhaust gas temp. I put the others on the other side as they're not as critical for me to watch while racing. The pod is not nearly as "in your face" as you'd think. I'm very happy with mine. I have 11 gauges overall, because I want to know what's going on in there, not for bling. It's a race engine that cost more than my car, if you're turbo'd you'll be in about the same boat. Therefore it's impossible for me to pick just 2-3 "most important" gauges to have. I could probably pick the top 5. Oilpressure, fuel pressure, water temp, egt and wideband o2

g
Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Points 2,814, Level 32
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well said Squatch. I do plan on turbo real soon. As this will be my first attempt in this area of F/I alll the little things that people may know that I don`t are going to be a big help. As for the cost....I like to pay less if I can---BUT I also believe you get what you pay for. So to spend a bit more and get true readings is were I`m at. My foci racing friend has the jrsc on his svt and thats all he spews. I would not go turbo because this and that, but he has had nothing but problems with the set-up. As for the pillar gauges. He has them and after driving his car they are in a great location. Maybe you could p.m. me with a few pictures of your dash area and I could decied if others are needed. Also I to am a fan of the white with black numbers so I`ll be lookinf at the phantom line today. I need to start with the gauge setting up this week.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13592
What I Drive: 2002 Supercharged Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 mustanggt_50 Good Standing Member
I have autometer phantom boost and A/F guages. They are white faced and they look and work great!! I have a pic of them somewhere, I can prolly find it later on tonight or tomorrow if you want. Not on a Focus though, thats the only difference. The A/F guage works well at WOT, but otherwise its really just a light show. But I think its good to have because you dont want your car leaning out at WOT and not knowing its happening!
Old 04-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Points 2,814, Level 32
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
After looking on the site...I do like the phantom set. It`s just a easy to read clean design. The boost gauge is clear-oil press and temp are also very clear to see. I believe I shall get and enjoy this style.. Thanks for the input!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
Focus Addict

My reverse indiglo's are white faced in the daytime and have blue glow at nite, so i put blue bulb covers on all my autometers. so during the daytime and at nite everything matches. here's some pics from the other thread

g
Old 04-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Also wanted to add, don't let the high prices I quoted scare you off, they make cheaper versions of the elec ones, but I just dont like em. The electrical pressure gauges have a sending unit on the source, like fuel presure uses the fuel rail, then runs wires from there to the gauge. mechanical fuel pressure has a hose that runs from the fuel rail to the gauge, so they require being mounted outside. The mechanical oil pressure has a hose too, but it's not something that can kill you so they run em inside to the gauge. I personally don't want any 200+ degree sticky fluid anywhere near me inside the engine compartment. Some people don't mind, I'd rather pay the extra for the electrical ones. Nitrous is the same way, if you can run a hose from the bottle to the gauge to the solenoids it's ok to go with mech, but that's a hassle I don't need and tehre's no way to get all that into the pod.

It's not much fun to wire up in the pod, you'll need at least 5 wires pulled up from the bottom to the pod (key'd power, light'd power, ground, two or three signal wires) and then wires pulled from the gauges down to the source if you're using electronic gauges. It's just a trick to pull both ways and place the pod without bunching wires behind it, but its not the worst thing I've had to do on the car. :P

g

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.