window shitch and tach driver - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14655
What I Drive: 04' Orange SVT Focus w/ EAP

FF Reputation: 1 superchargedSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
window shitch and tach driver

I've decided to put my nitrous kit i had on my friends 350z on my focus. My question is: How much does a window switch and tach driver cost? And how hard are they to install? Do I need anything else?

Mods: focus sport CAI, Apexi turbo N1 muffler, Jackson Racing s/c, focus sport 12lb. flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch, Focus Central orp, dyno-tune, VIS carbon fiber hood and hatch, Eibach pro-kit springs, 215/45/17 Fuzion ZR1
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6588
FF Reputation: 1 Bark Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
$100 + shipping if you buy it from me. I have the MSD-8956 window switch. 12 rpm pills: 3000, 4200, 4400, 4600, 4800, 6000, 6200, 6400, 6600, 7000, 8000, and 9000. I also have a ford racing tach-driver I bought directly from ford. I bought all this for over $200 and I need to sell it for my turbo project.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

How exactly does the window switch work, I know what it does but how it does it i don't know. Have you had them installed on your car, if so then how hard were they too hook up.
Mods: focus sport CAI, Apexi turbo N1 muffler, Jackson Racing s/c, focus sport 12lb. flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch, Focus Central orp, dyno-tune, VIS carbon fiber hood and hatch, Eibach pro-kit springs, 215/45/17 Fuzion ZR1
Old 04-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4112
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
ok think of it like a light switch. you have power coming from a source (your battery) and goes to the solenoids which open and spray nitrous (and fuel if a wet system). That's no kinda control, So you put in a toggle switch to arm the system. It basically stops the power from the battery to the solenoids so the switch has to be in the on position and you have spray. This kinda setup is something you have to pay a lot of attn to. During racing you have to pay attn to wheelspin, rpm's, the track, and the switch. It's pretty much a symphony if you can pull it all off but too much stress in my opinion.

Still this is not very good control, because it's either simply on or off, so you put in a wot switch, which is the same thing, only controlled by a little toggle somehow attached to the throttle. This makes two switches that both have to be activated in order for the nitrous to flow. When your arm switch is on, and you then put your foot to the floor, it opens the circuit and the solenoids fire. This safeguard is made so that you cannot accidentally spray unless you mean to, by going wot. This setup is standard, but still you have to pay attn. On launch you can be at wot with the switch flipped and be either bogged (below 3k=unsafe) or spinning the tires and spraying thru the rev limiter which is also unsafe. Hard to manage all these things and concentrate on shifting and getting a clean run.

Still not good enough So this leads us to our 3rd switch in the circuit. The rpm window switch. It's placed inline after the wot switch and is controlled by the rpm's. It only opens between the two set parameters controlled by the pills you put in the side of the box. If you put in a 3k and a 6k it'll open the circuit at 3k and close it again at 6k. now you have 3 switches, all 3 of which must be activated in order for the nitrous to flow

This is pretty much the safest setup you can run without spending a buttload of money. In this scenario you can arm the system, pull up to the race, launch and the spray will only spray when you are at wot, AND between the desired rpm's. no thinking, no coordination of brain eyes and hands, nothing. Just arm it and go. If you've set up your engine right, it's pretty much foolproof.

After that you're getting into progressive controllers, fuel pressure switches, oil pressure switches etc that are a little excessive imo for most foci owners, but never a bad idea.

My new setup has a progressive controller, 5 safety switches, standalone fuel system, js safeguard etc and sofar cost me around $2500, but it's nearly impossible for me to wipe out another engine due to nitrous problems, even if I tried.

A typical nitrous system comes with a flipswitch (system arm) and a wot switch. This is the industry standard for the bare minimum you can safely run nitrous with. But upgrading is Always a good idea

g

Last edited by mr.squatch; 04-04-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

does the window switch get a signal off of the tach driver
Old 04-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4112
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
That's another topic all together. I've yet to use a tach driver on a dis2 engine, but those who sell them and use them swear you have to. I'm trying to figure out which pin it is in the ecu for the svt and duratec that gives signal. it's pin 48 on the zetec, no tach adapter needed. If you use a tach adapter, then the answer to your question is yes.

g
Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.