Supercharger impact on engine longevity - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21274
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 GameOver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Supercharger impact on engine longevity

New to the forum. I'm gettin ready to trade in my '02 ZX3 for an SVT (2002 or 2003). One of the '02 SVT's on my list has a 'Ford installed' JSRC. They say since Ford installed, the SVT is still under factory warranty.

I've read thru posts that reference SC's on the first five pages of this forum, but only one began to discuss what happens to the engine long term from using a SC. It said something like 'the SC will wear on the engine 'a little''.

1) Can anyone quantify 'a little '? I put 20k+ miles a year on my focus & don't want to retire or rebuild it after 2 or 3 years because of the SC!
2) Also will the SC introduce any other problems that wouldn't be common to a stock SVT?

I love the idea of having a SC, but also have a wife & 3 kids to take care of. I don't need a 4th!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Well, I don't know lots about forced induction, but I was told that you can expect the life of the engine to decrease the more you are in boost. I wouldn't really worry about it with the JRSC. It doesn't make that much boost, or power in stock form - it can if you want to add pulleys, etc. however. I don't know how long the SVT is supposed to last normally, but I'd expect it to last at least 100k with the s/c.

I would expect the clutch going out sooner than normal (it could use an aftermarket clutch/flywheel anyways), and possibly more tire wear. I would also guess that as the boost climbs, the mileage will drop. Not sure how much, but it shouldn't be much different if you drive normally - floor it and there will be a significant reduction, but you'll notice more power.

IMO, the JRSC is one of the better supercharger systems out for the SVT. It's inexpensive compared to other forms of forced induction, easy to install (from what I read), and gives a moderate gain in power. Yeah it probably won't be able to get 300 whp like other s/c's or turbos, but it boosts the horsepower of an SVT to (what I think) what should have been stock and has room to add more.

I wouldn't worry about the s/c on the 2002 SVT. The 2002's only had a 3/36k warranty on the powertrain, so it's almost up anyways. What I would be worried about, is finding a car you'll like/need and has the options you want first. I know the s/c would probably affect my decision, but do your research first before buying on impulse (I made the mistake on buying a S-10)!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the reply. No impulse buying here! I've been driving my '02 ZX3 for 3 years/65k miles and love it. The SVTF wasn't available at my Ford until a few months after I bought my ZX3 back in '02. I fell in love w/the SVT the first time I saw it - just gorgeous. I would've bought it the first time around if it was on the lot at the time I bought my ZX3 premium. I've been waiting 3 years for this!

I've got @5-6 SVT's I'm considering. Only 1 has the JSRC. I wasn't sure what to make of it since I'm not familiar with aftermarket mods. From what I've read, it seems the safest way to go for a nice bump in power. I'll give this one a test drive & see how it goes. Optionwise, most of the 6 Im considering are about the same. Only difference is red vs. blue seat inserts, exterior color and some have the cold weather package while the others don't. All have the audiophile package which I think is pretty good.

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 16956
What I Drive: White 00 SE Sedan Zetec

Points 5,085, Level 45
Points: 5,085, Level: 45 Points: 5,085, Level: 45 Points: 5,085, Level: 45
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ampedout Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
A supercharger will wear your engine due to running off your accessory belt. The JRSC is a constant boost and is very easy comming to your engine parts. You should be fine for reliability. Still, consider every angle before buying. With a turbo the boost is built and dumped on your engine. Very hard on your parts. The Vortech works much like a turbo as well. Each FI has its own way to wear your engine faster although the JRSC is wear friendly IMHO. GL!
Old 04-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,458, Level 100
Points: 53,458, Level: 100 Points: 53,458, Level: 100 Points: 53,458, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
" They say since Ford installed, the SVT is still under factory warranty. "

Who is they? And if it is Ford saying this get it in black and white , Ford does NOT cover aftermarket parts on any Vehicle even if installed at a Ford dealership

Becarefull what people say about your warranty, call SVT and ask them directly they will fill you in

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Thanks. 'They' is the ford dealer I've been working with for this particular SVT. To quote them 'It also has a Ford installed and authorized Jackson Racing Supercharger'. For them to say that, I'd expect they'd have some paperwork to back it up.

But you're right, I'd get that type of committment on paper before giving it any value. And I would definately get any regular warranty committment on paper. Nothing against used car salesman, but I don't take much of anything they say at face value.

I realize they're just doing their job & trying to make a sale. But we as consumers need to also watch out for our best interests. Believe me, If I'm spending 10-13k, I'm very interested in looking out for myself!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 252
What I Drive: ZX3 S2 modded--Just a touch

Points 2,759, Level 32
Points: 2,759, Level: 32 Points: 2,759, Level: 32 Points: 2,759, Level: 32
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 liquid01 Good Standing Member
Ford will not cover any repairs said to be from s/c install...And or operation. I have seen the process first hand(ok thru my friend) with the dealer.. Not only did he score his block but a ring stuck into his head and ford covered NADA. Now he is out many thousands of dollars and after a full long block rebuil he just got his car back after 1+ months. I would get it in writing then make the choice.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Thanks to all - but the supercharger question to me now is moot. I just bought an '03 SVT, the one w/o the supercharger already in it. One thing - there are confilicting opinions about if the factory warranty is voided with installation of a JRSC by an authorized Ford shop. I get my oil changed at the Ford dealer - I''ll ask'em next time & see what they say.

The SVT is AWESOME! The real bummer is I got it last night, but had to take the wife's van into the shop today which meant I had to drive her van to work. UGGGH!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
Banned

Fan#: 3742
What I Drive: '05 COBALT SS

FF Reputation: 1 SVT03 Good Standing Member
There has never been an svtf that came from the factory with ablower of sany kinsd. I would make sure the dealership has that written on a professional document saying they'll cover it. Otherwise, they are just lyaing to you to selly ou the car. Also, call SVT and give them the VIN of that car, and let them tell you if it came with one. i betting NO!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.