Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Custom SPI Turbo...

581 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  swest 
#1 ·
I went into a local performance shop (Lightspeed if u live in STL) one day and asked them what they would charge to fabricate a turbo kit for the SPI... they said once it's tuned, I'd bee looking at about $3000. This ain't bad. But they said unless I upgraded my internals (haha! Nobody makes internals for the SPI...), I'd only get about 165hp out of the kit.

#2 ·
Well, that is the down side of having an SPI. I'm really not sure if the piston size is different in the SPI compared to that of the zetec. You might want to check into that and find out. That would solve at least the piston swap. The next thing would be to check the length of the piston rods, the crank (which is most likely differnt b/c the timing of both engines would be like compairing night and day). All in all its going to be one major pain in the ass and would end up be cheaper if you did a zetec swap and then boosted it.

#3 ·
If I really had the money to blow, I'd boost an SVT motor, custom mount it sideways on an FR (Front engine Rear-wheel) mustang platform, and start drifting. But since I don't have $35K to blow on my motor and drivetrain, I have been looking at used Zetec motors. They're not too expensive, and there are already so many parts for them. The only thing I'm worried about there is the tranny swap. Is there any way to bolt on a Zetec motor to my 5speed (I don't know the code- it's not an MTX-75... it's something else for the SPI)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.