Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tuning a procharger...

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  belacyrf 
#1 ·
I think I've decided on a procharger supercharger...I'm not positive about this but pretty sure [paranoid]

NEways, if I was to get one, it would obviously have to be tuned for maximum performance, now all I know is that it does not come with a flash tuner or anything. Could I just use the preditor or something? Or would I need a custom tune? Also, if I did end up going with another SC, would I need to buy a completely different flash? And one last question, if I ended up buying extra performance parts such as headers, exhaust, high flow cat, a ported head, would I have to reflash my system?

#2 ·
Get yourself a "blow through" MAF...PC puts our 'suck through' in the past of boost, and our stock meters dont like it. Also, best of luck finding a 'blow through' as Pro-M is no longer in existance...

...that upstream MAF is my ONLY beef with Prochargers set up....our MAF's reading boost does wonders for driveability!

#4 ·
wow it's cool to see someone that lives close. So what your saying is I would need to buy a straight through MAF, but your saying they dont make them anymore? I see them all over the place. Unless your just talking about Pro'Ms MAF, also, what what would I do tuning-wise?

#5 ·
Go with a Mustang Cobra MAF or SVT MAF. Im doing a MAF from an svt focus. The ATI tune is supposed to be very good but I prefer having an SCT chip with some extra options.

I few guys I talked to with Vortech and JRSC had problems with a Pro-M and found the SVT maf to to be the solution.

I have yet to actually measure up the piping on the Pro Charger setup. If the piping is bigger then I think it is. It well expand the electronics of the stock maf and make it good for about 200 and some hp.

#6 ·
Any one that has had issues with the Pro-M is because they cannot tune or there using SCT and SCT does not like them because they dont want to do the extra step to make them work , That extra step is tuning them

Pro-M works fine i have used and sold over 250 of them now and had 2 bad not bad odds

As for the blow through , if you know how to tune ecven the stock MAF eloctronics will work good , The mustang meters are to bug anf bulky and hard to fit into the 2 , 2.5 piping we use for the Focus , The SVT wont have enough range unles you put the electronics into a larger tube then your right back to needing a MAF to put it in ,Then if you use the STV with the stock housing you still have hose fitment issues and there restrictive, Why put something in your SC that will cause you loss of power , I have tuned many blow through Foci now and it works much better than draw through

Give me a few more days and i hope to have this problem cured , I have been making my own MAF units for some time in 2.5 and 3 inch and they are 7 inches long , I am playing with the Diablo MAF IA and will know something this week

Tom

#8 ·
MAF IA is great!! That was an amazing accomplishment by Diablo. Very impressive!!

BTW, I wasnt saying you CAN'T blow through an OEM MAF, they just werent designed for it...you have to really know what you are doing to work the kinks out. Tom know what he's doing, and Rick at AR knows what he's doing when it comes to those sort of feats..

#10 · (Edited)
1turbofocus said:
Any one that has had issues with the Pro-M is because they cannot tune or there using SCT and SCT does not like them because they dont want to do the extra step to make them work , That extra step is tuning them
Well this isn't "entirely" true. SCT works just fine with the Pro-M maf as long as they have it on a dyno. Their only beef with the Pro-M is the variance between each meter and if they were to do it by mail it would take multiple attempts to get it right. But it's nothing more than tuning to fix it. SCT has no issues with the pro-m, they just suggest alternatives.

Why I dont understand is why you dont just suggest others use larger OEM mafs? Wouldn't that be a simple interim solution? Or just put the stock meter in a larger housing and alter the transfer function? Seeing as how I got my GT maf for 65.00, it seems to be an item that is readily available, inexpensive and it works great. ;)

As for the pro-charger...
What do you mean if you go with "another SC" Do you mean another setup all together or throwing another head unit on??

As for headers exhaust and so on, you would not need to alter the tune IF the MAF you are using has range and the injectors have range. You will most likley be increasing VE which increases flow, but as long as there is room on the MAFS and injectors your good.

#11 ·
ZX3TUNR said:
in my previous posts i ment to say mustang gt maf not cobra

I heard these fit right in but require you to get the IAT sensor also since there not built in.

Is that correct to say? I have never seen under the hood of a mustang lol
Some MAFS do not have the IAT built in, my 2002 GT MAF did have an IAT built in (read 6 wire maf). However since I used a draw through MAF, I relocated my IAT anyways.

(sorry for the double posts, dont know why I can't edit my orig post)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.