How is this zetec so powerful? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7046
What I Drive: 01 Oxford White ZX3

Points 4,006, Level 40
Points: 4,006, Level: 40 Points: 4,006, Level: 40 Points: 4,006, Level: 40
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 bonacci01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
How is this zetec so powerful?

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0308tur_focus/

An awesome article about a t3t4 zetec.

Ok, so here's the deal. I am an autobody student right now and I am going to be finished with the "show" portion of my car by the summertime. In researching turbo kits, I know there are a few very good options out there, BUT.....they are pretty pricey. I am trained in regular mig welding, and have pretty much have all fabrication tools at my exposal. So I my plan is to buy a zetec engine out of a wreck and do a turbo kit right the first time. I want to low comp forged pistons, and rods. Probably won't get the head machined. As for tranny - lsd, light flywheel, and a good solid racing clutch. I plan on using a T3/4 and the piping and manifold will be fabricated. Tuning will be turned to tom with an MIC kit. I know I missed a few things, but thats the bulk of it.

Back to the article....230 whp at 7 psi on stock internals? WOW

Ummm, not quite sure what I am asking in this thread....just everyones thoughts I guess. Would appreciate posts from others that did diy turbos, things to watch out for and things you wish you did the first time. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
a big part of that 230 hp is the tuning, not only of the cam gears, but using the PECTEL T2 standalone fuel management system. it is the BEST option out there for all out performance for the focus. the kit is designed as a plug and play type operation for the most part. takes about 1.5 hours to install, and offers incredibly precise tuning compared to a stock PCM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Points 4,006, Level 40
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
thats what a buddy told me....how much would i be looking at for a pectel? and how complex is it? would it be useable by a first timer?

what about the sct?

sometimes thinking about the complexity of turbos wants to make me to go all motor

Last edited by bonacci01; 03-01-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3973
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zx3focusguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by crazymechanic
a big part of that 230 hp is the tuning, not only of the cam gears, but using the PECTEL T2 standalone fuel management system. it is the BEST option out there for all out performance for the focus. the kit is designed as a plug and play type operation for the most part. takes about 1.5 hours to install, and offers incredibly precise tuning compared to a stock PCM.
There are VERY few things the pectel can do that a ford PCM cant. AND, the ford PCM can do it MANY MANY TIMES faster then the pectel. A pectel tune against a chipped or flashed PCM won't gain you any horsepower. And the cost of a pectel is about $2500 The main thing behind a pectel is the ability for the end user to tune himself, but if thats the case go with the SCT pro-racer.

Scott
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Because it's a turbo.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
sorry to burst your bubble zx3focusguy, but the pectel is a much better computer than the stock PCM. why do you think that ford and many other companies use pectel ECUs in their rally race cars? the WRC focus engine needs much more precise control than a street driven car requires, otherwise ford would have used a production computer. I'm not saying that you can't get good results from a stock PCM and flashing it, and like you said, the pectel does allow the driver to tune it themselves because the software is quite user friendly. however, the pectel is faster, and much more precise. given the high output of today's rally engines, they have to be otherwise the race car would break down halfway through the stage.

the kit pectel offers is not the same computer that ford uses in the WRC focus, but it's not far off, and it also includes the ability to switch control of the engine back to the stock PCM for dealership visits where warranty work may be required. the kit takes about 1.5 hours to install, and it takes 5 minutes to switch control back to the stock PCM.

unless you absolutely MUST have every last HP out of your engine, stick with the stock PCM and get it tuned with a predator or sct.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 54,207, Level 100
Points: 54,207, Level: 100 Points: 54,207, Level: 100 Points: 54,207, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 55%
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I dont agree the Ford PCM is far superior to the pectel and the Ford PCM can do many things the Pectel cannot

In race trim the 6000.00 Pectel will do many things like see lean conditions and add fuel thay are a FULL RACE self standing PCM in the race cars and are not pippiebacked of the stock PCM

The Pectel is very hard to use for most people and is by NO MEANS USER FRIENDLY

Power wise i dont think you would see much if any Diff. cost wise the SCT Pro would be the way to go for 750.00 for tuner and Raptor

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 19284
What I Drive: 1987 Dodge Omni Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Putter-GLHT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Most factory computers can put aftermarket ones to shame once they've been hacked, you can do wide band feedbacks, staged rev limits, you name it. Once a factory one has been hacked, there is no reason to go aftermarket.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Points 4,006, Level 40
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
"Because it's a turbo."

He'll be here all night folks!!!!

"Power wise i dont think you would see much if any Diff. cost wise the SCT Pro would be the way to go for 750.00 for tuner and Raptor"

what are those? are they user programmable? if i get a new mod can i just tune to it?

"Most factory computers can put aftermarket ones to shame once they've been hacked, you can do wide band feedbacks, staged rev limits, you name it. Once a factory one has been hacked, there is no reason to go aftermarket."

so are you saying the ford computers are or are not hacked? if not, then it doesnt matter, if so what do i have to buy to play with it?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Points 4,006, Level 40
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
even though microtonal is a smartazz i got a good link about the sct pro in his sig.

i read up on it, and would that be the only tuning i would need?

after all the hardware, could i just buy this, input all my modification specs, burn it, and drive it out of the garage? do i still need a chip from another source?

is a dyno tune still needed?

if i get the raptor too, what information source can i use to make sure everything is running right?

soemone definately need to develop a nice well planned out website explaning all the complexities of a focus turbo....mabye there already is one....any links?

sorry that im such a turbo newb....i have researched a fair bit and just am trying to put everything together in my head

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.