Does this Turbo Kit Sound Ok or is it BS? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 01:14 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 17313
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3_Tun3r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Does this Turbo Kit Sound Ok or is it BS?

I was looking online for turbo kits and this guy offered to sell me this kit for 650$ + S&H but I think it's kind of a home made kit, but still it looks ok. He claims that it is a complete kit but i figured i post this and see what every one else thought. Here is the exact description he gave me --->

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are looking at a COMPLETE turbo kit for the Zetec Ford Focus. This kit was installed and ran for a couple hundred miles (research & development miles only) on a 2000 Ford Focus with NO problems whatsoever! It is an excellent kit that comes complete with everything!! Even tuning by Turbo Tom at Focus-Power with his very own Diablosport Revolution multi-program chip. The kit was ran at 10psi with dyno numbers of 189whp and 191wtq.

Parts List

Mitsubishi TE04H turbo (ported)

2.25" custom downpipe

HKS Power Flo air filter

70mm Pro-M mass air flow sensor

42lbs/hr fuel injectors

Turbo XS blow off valve

Diablosport Revolution multi-program chip (ECU code JFA8)

APC turbo boost gauge with all vac lines included

K&N valve cover breather

custom bent intake and charge piping

all silicone couplers included

steel braided oil send line

heavy duty silicone oil return line

all water fittings and hoses included

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 02:27 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5933
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Iarmeister Good Standing Member
I would ask Tom. The guy says Tom tuned it, so he should know *sumthin'* about it. Maybe not a lot, but even a crumb is a delicacy to a starving man! IF it works, than $650. really can't be beat. Good thing to be cautious tho'...
Old 01-30-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10701
What I Drive: 04 SVT Comp Orange

FF Reputation: 1 Liltrbo Good Standing Member
No manifold??? How is that a COMPLETE kit? Add about $500 for a custom manifold, and hope the turbo is positioned close enough to the original kit so the other piping will still fit.

No way he ran 10 psi without an intercooler and/or race gas. If the tuning he has is for an intercooled kit it wont work without one. More than likely the timing would be too high and detonation will be the result.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3973
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zx3focusguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Liltrbo
No manifold??? How is that a COMPLETE kit? Add about $500 for a custom manifold, and hope the turbo is positioned close enough to the original kit so the other piping will still fit.

No way he ran 10 psi without an intercooler and/or race gas. If the tuning he has is for an intercooled kit it wont work without one. More than likely the timing would be too high and detonation will be the result.

Obviously it uses the stock header with an adapter. And 10psi with no intercooler and/or race gas isn't impossible. Thats pretty much the max I would wanna go but not impossible. As for the original question, no I don't think it's a good deal. Will it work? Probably. If your looking to go FI on a focus and are wanting to do it on a budget like this kit would suggest, stay away......far away! Also, yeah the chip is tuned for JFA8, but that doesn't mean that if you have JFA8 that you'll be able to plug it in and go...every car in every climate is different. Dyno tuning would really be a necessity for reliability and a peace of mind. Save your money, buy a good well known and tested kit. It'll save you in the long run. Best of luck,

Scott
Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

ya ur were right, I e-mailed the guy and asked about the manifold because i didn't see one and he said that it will bolt to the stock or aftermarket manifold.

..So all in all you think this kit would probably end up hurting my engine???
Old 01-30-2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12797
What I Drive: 2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda3 Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 oneill8769 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Iarmeister
I would ask Tom. The guy says Tom tuned it, so he should know *sumthin'* about it. Maybe not a lot, but even a crumb is a delicacy to a starving man! IF it works, than $650. really can't be beat. Good thing to be cautious tho'...
i agree. run it by him, see what he has to say. can't be too sure on stuff like this.
Mazda3 Traitor Party #2
Old 01-31-2005, 07:35 AM   #7
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,498, Level 100
Points: 53,498, Level: 100 Points: 53,498, Level: 100 Points: 53,498, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I know nothing about the kit , The only thing it looks like i did was sell him a MIC or a chip

I do so many MIC kit and have done so many im not sure whos kit that is even

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

alright, thnks tom i don't think i'll be taking my chances with this one.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10701
What I Drive: 04 SVT Comp Orange

FF Reputation: 1 Liltrbo Good Standing Member
I didn't mean to sound like it was not possible to run 10psi without and intercooler or race gas. Just that I don't believe this kit would safely run 10psi.

-No intercooler
-No custom dyno tuning.
-Internal waste gate.

Hey, the kit might run perfect but that would be a hell of a stroke of luck IMO. My vote is do like Scott and the others have sugguested and save your money (or take a loan ) and you will be happier in the long run.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5933
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Iarmeister Good Standing Member
ZX3_Tun3r said: "alright, thnks tom i don't think i'll be taking my chances with this one."

Is that your final answer? Seriously tho'...you're making the right choice, no doubt. I've bank rolled many music recording projects, and I learned early on that there are certain things you *never* want to cut corners on in order to save a buck! Doing business that way cost me thousands of dollars and many hours spent re-doing things just to make the music sound tight!

I think adding an aftermarket part to your engine, esp. f/i, is a lot like making a proper recording. It's one of those things you don't want to cut corners on!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.