300whp with Supercharger? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15290
What I Drive: 03' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Rory Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
300whp with Supercharger?

Hey everyone...

I am looking for "down the road" performance mods to do, without going turbo to get my SVT to 300whp.

I really like cars that are turbo, but just don't want to go through all of the hassle with adding new oil lines and other crap to toss a turbo onto my car. A lot easier if the car already has a turbo factory installed.

Now, back to the topic.

My goals are for every day driving with this car...

I am considering lowering the compression to 8.5.1 or slightly there abouts, with beefier cams, built bottom (ofcourse), head work, injector upgrades, computer work and smal other upgrades to allow my car to run whatever boost it takes to hit 300whp.

Now, how possible is it for a supercharger to allow my SVT to run up to 300whp with lowering the compression, increased head work and the other small mods? Would I need to run 20+ psi of boost on the charger? Are there any chargers that allow for 20+psi, or is there a limit with chargers (never worked with them before, so I am unfamiliar with the amount of boost they can run).

Would a charger be ideal for making low-mid-high end torque, or low-mid-high end power? Or would a turbo be more ideal for that?

I know you can't have everything when it comes to performace with the engine, just would like to get as much as I can without going overboard.

I am NOT looking to make my car a 1/4 beast. If I wanted that, I would have gotten a different car from the start. More or less a quick off of the line car +.. a good amount of trq. and a car that can pull and pull. Especially in a street racing type of environment. Something that can stick with a turbo Cobra Stang or a Turbo Supra on the road, if need be (example). Maybe not that close with them.. but something that could be respectable.. maybe a 12.00 - 12.99 1/4 mile IF I was to make it into a 1/4 car.

Or, if tossing in a turbo is the better way to go for me. I don't really want to dump $20k in the car for the V-8 conversion because I think putting a turbo on the car or a charger with proper mods could keep up with the V-8 conversion for a while, until you hit over 140mph.

I am not looking at taking the car past 120 - 140mph, so, if that helps with my question on the SuperCharger... Also, I would hope superchargers will advance a lot within the next 4 years (that is probably when I will put the charger OR turbo on the car).

Thanks,

Rory

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Forgot 1 thing... Does a supercharger have LAG like a turbo, if not.. then wouldn't that be a "more ideal" thing to go with for my application IF I can get 300whp out of one.. with about 20+psi? Since the power will always be there when I step on the throttle?

Thanks again!

R.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
supercharger has instant boost but the turbo has better boost throughout the whole range...supercharger is more of a low end boost, will give you better lower end no doubt but if u want some top end with low end a turbo is the way to go....to get a 300whp supercharged car you mind as well get a turbo charged car as it will be cheaper (not as much tuning needed) and turbos are just way cooler in my opinion :P

but if you are set on a supercharged car...300whp has been done b4, just search
Old 12-24-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
depends what kind of supercharger you use, a centrifugal supercharger will have lag. it's basically a belt driver turbocharger, so it does have lag. a positive displacement supercharger like and eaton or a twin screw or whipple doesn't have lag.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13728
What I Drive: Zx2 s/r red

FF Reputation: 1 zx2s/r red Good Standing Member
I dont know if this will help you any, but I was thinking of turbo charging/supercharging my zx2 s/r. Both cars have a ztec engine but they differ slightly with heads and compression. If you want big boost I would suggest going with a screw type supercharger. Then your going to have to figure out how to mount it and what type of intercooler you decide to go with. I would go with a whipple supercharger (very efficient) and a air-water intercooler. You might want to check out this link. It is a zx2 with an eatom m90 supercharger with an air-water intercooler. I would do the same setup if I had a focus, but instead put on the whipple supercharger because of better efficiency and boost.

Hope that helps
Jeff

Supercharger Thread
http://www.geocities.com/teamcatalys.../zx2/index.htm
Old 12-24-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
With the svt's a supercharger would be a better way to go im looking into that myself and im most prolly going to go the supercharger route. In my opinion the supercharger would give u more power over a turbo but i think a supercharger will be a safer power enhancer
Old 12-24-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3051
What I Drive: Your Mom!

Points 2,687, Level 31
Points: 2,687, Level: 31 Points: 2,687, Level: 31 Points: 2,687, Level: 31
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 WinnipegZX3 Good Standing Member
When the Powerworks SC system comes out for the SVT in awhile, its numbers will be close to what you are looking for.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:20 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks all..

WinnipegZX3.. when that kit comes out for the SVT.. is that with a stock engine setup? Or with upgraded internals & lowered compression? Cuz, if 300whp, or close to it can be squeezed out of a stock setup on an SVT, I would imagine that more would come out of it :) with better internals.

If having better engine internals won't help at all.. then I won't do lower compression and better internals.

Depending on how much everything will cost me in the long run... I may stick a built 2.3 4g63 stroker motor with AWD in the SVT :) Maybe run 20 - 25psi and do 9's or 10's :)

Just kidding.. although that would be cool.

Thanks again all!

R.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:55 AM   #9
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

Points 6,086, Level 50
Points: 6,086, Level: 50 Points: 6,086, Level: 50 Points: 6,086, Level: 50
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
I don't think the PowerWorks will be close to 300 whp, maybe at the crank though.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Hmmm...

Maybe I will just have to go ahead with a turbo.

Thanks.

R.

Merry Christmas!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.