Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVTFocus Noob's TurboBuild

24K views 155 replies 20 participants last post by  prerunnerwannabe 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay guys I finally have the kit back in my hands and it's time to start a thread on my build. I think I'm almost there I still am working on getting money for a light weight flywheel and clutch. I have a bunch of pics but idk if it will directly post hopefully for the sake of a good thread they will.[offtopic]
Now back to the build, I still have some small things to acquire but the biggest thing now is help from experienced boost owners!! I don't know if I have all the oil lines I need for turbo! Also don't know how/where to install my oil catch can I got.

My goal is to run as low of boost as possible at first to achieve 200-230ish Tq, after some good miles on that I will simply turn up boost till my tiny little T3 can't do any more.

History, I bought the kit used right here on marketplace:
SPA T3 .48 ar Turbo , Precision IC, Diablo Mafia, Siemens Deka 60lb Inj, Down pipe, screamer pipe? (what previous owner called it), Tial BOV, pretty sure SPA wastegate (not sure), SPA manifold, catch can, and a bunch of random piping and filter, random rubber and braided-steel lines, and a AEM wideband.

What I've bought so far:
TurboTurtle's 3" piping, tapped oil pan, IC mounting kit, and ARP manifold bolts, spa iron piece, evo wastegate, TurboTurtle's 3" offroad downpipe, Tom's Tuning,

What I feel I need:
CLutch Master's FX400 kit (6 puck)
Trubenz 3" flexpipe and "flexback" exhaust
Poly engine mounts
Greddy RS BOV

If you feel there is anything I'm missing or feel like commenting at all go ahead! the more the merrier just please keep it constructive on the criticism!!

Nowto post pics:

Jake

See less See more
#2 ·
glad you got all the piping in good shape

Tim

oil feed can be gotten from behind the coil pack by removing the small plug in the oil galley or teeing into the oil pressure sending unit. i think behind the coil pack is the easiest, you just need some spacers to space the coil pack bracket out

you can post direct links to the forum by using IMG code

#4 ·
its not a setting in focus fanatics. just post the IMG link photobucket displays next the pic directly into your post. its the last one in the list of 4 links photobucket shows

#6 ·
Ok guys got some stuff done over weekend, getting a lot closer! shooting for the 220tq range for now when I get back from recruit training I will throw a clutch at it and turn up the boost. For now keeping it low and simple, now on to the pics from the other day!
IC mounted

battery fits need a bigger tb and maybe new coupler due to hard angle

new Spa piece to keep AC

boost gauge and old Dp, going to cut and bend to line up to SPA piece if that doesn't work will cut to make an ORP

and the grinding work done to make head light and batt fit

as it sits now

Ordered a SCT X3 and Turbonetics EVO WG for the build, just have to figure out a fab job for my dp, if that fails I'll go to TurboTurtle again for $200 along with hot side exchange and fab a ORP. then to Tom for the tuning hopefully this will be all said and done by mid late August.

Jake

#7 ·
Should be a very nice daily driver, pipes should align better, maybe a different angle on the IC. Like that cast SPA piece, will hold a lot of abuse and is the best flow in such a tight space.

#9 ·
the piping and coupler i had to guess on b/c i didnt have an svt. rough measurements and no real tb angle was all i had to work with

can you push the pipe more toward the outside of the car to change the angle of the piping some?

hey fits with battery. sweet lol

Tim

#11 ·
no your the first to install my svt piping and i didnt have an svt to use. wasnt it you that sent me the measurements for the tb? once its clamped on the tb you may be able to push it toward the driver side and then tighten clamp on the piping

Tim

#15 ·
its about even with the bottom of the 7" tall intercooler. thats not very low, just dont jump rail road tracks and you will be fine lol

its a lot higher than the sti's bumper. you can see it in the background.

#16 ·
Alright guys, heading out for a vaca just some questions before I go, got a SCT and WG and finished installing A pillar pod and gauges. Where/how do I hook up my boost/vac hose I'm told after the throttle plate is best, but where exactly?? Also I bought a SCT X3 from a memember, umarried with 5 unlocks, that will work right? Or did I screw myself over trying to save $100?
Also shipping out stock cat the Tim for a dp fab, all that is left is getting a 67mm TB! Atleast I think/hope so.
here are pics of new parts and pod all installed.
Used SCT and new Evo WG

pod installed

Jake

#19 ·
Thanks Tim, and that's what I thought just started second guessing myself, thank you for confirming it! Tim cat and hot side pipe with coupler are all boxed up (in a new/smaller box) sending it slowest way possible. Let me know when you get it and when you're done with cat and have new pipe so I can send it back to me before I get back and have to drive again. Thanks again for all your help on my build!

Jake

#21 ·
Ok so T into the evap system for boost gauge? For the wastegate do I hook up both ports to intake pressure or just the side port to intake pressure. I read some write ups on DSM forums to understand how external wastegates work, but idk how I should have it hooked up when it comes to working with the focus and with how you tune/set up stuff Tom. I figure how a wastegate works is universal and the results will be the same, but I want to know how you set yours up.

Jake

#22 ·
are you using a boost controller or just spring pressure on the wg? both ports are never hooked to the IM. you will either have one vented and one hooked to IM or you will hook it up the boost controller differently depending on the type of boost controler

Tim

#26 ·
Ok guys learned a fun lesson today on the fly but no big deal just heads up for anyone who's reading the thread to learn before they do a turbo project, make sure you use a -3 AN hose for Oil feed, along with one 90deg 1/8" NPT to -3AN fitting (for gallery plug in head behind/next to coil pack), or two depending on your turbo setup. Or one straight 1/8" NPT to -3AN fitting, along with about 2' -3 hose (rated for oil) I'm doing one staight and one 90deg for mine. Here's a pic of the -4 that came with kit they I'm tossing it was too big, obnoxious, and not needed!pushed coil pack 1 1/2" away from the head!

I then took apart my manifold Turbo setup to get the 90deg -4an fitting off that to replace with the straight 1/8" to -3AN, reason I'm doing straight is so it doesn't rub against mani when trying to tighten it also don't feel like making the line make unnecessary turn. (this is also a 1/8" NPT thread)

pics of new fittings and lines should be up Monday when store gets them in. Other than that the build has been pretty easy if you ask me. A BIG thanks to Tom and Tim for always having a straight forward answer! Thanks guys!

Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.