Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Supercharger vs turbo

4K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  turbosvtfocus04 
#1 ·
I'm really leaning toward the Jackson racing supercharger , but I'm unsure on the performance I'm stock other than short ram and a lunchbox delete any suggestions?[woot]

#7 ·
It all really depends on what you want. I will say this much. And I know all boost heads will agree. Boost is ADDICTIVE. once you get it in your blood you want more.. its like a drug it takes more and more to satisfy the urge. I dont know alot of people that have the sc and have stayed sc. usually what happens is they get the sc and later decide they want more so they sell the sc and get turbo stuff. To me modern day turbos have nullified sc's. Turbos spool super fast and are super efficient. i cant think of any vehicle id rather have a sc on than a turbo. Initially turbos cost quite abit more. but you end up with alot more capabilities and possibilities. plus a turbo car at the same boost levels will always be faster and get better gas mileage than a sc car will be. Just my $.02 worth of knowledge. Research it very extensively before you commit. Know anything and everything about it all the ins and outs. and then when you think you know it research some more then build a build list to give you an ide of costs then double the price list. cause trust me youll spend it.

#15 ·
From a dead stop yes we will still loose with the same Hp, AWD will grab while FWD will spin, from a roll will be a bit more fair. Now go try to find a real stock EVO or STI that is being used to race.

#17 ·
Not huge but as I said fair, if the focus has only a turbo and no LSD just one of the tires will be putting down the power if the diff holds. You'll be surprised with all the fake stocks there are.

#21 ·
agreed. you MIGHT find a complete turbo kit for $2000-2500 if you are lucky and if you are EXTREMELY lucky you might find one for $1500 but that kind of deal only comes along once in a blue moon.

but then after the bare kit you have to have a clutch to take the additional power which will run at least $300 or so. if you are going to pull the trans to do a clutch you might as well put a LSD in there or you will just spin that one tire and waste all that power you just spend so much money to make. a torsen LSD costs about $500-$600 if i remember correctly but it doesnt have a warranty but you will be hard pressed to break it. a quaife LSD costs about $900 but it has a lifetime replacement warranty even if you race with it. OBX has a cheap LSD but you would be taking a gamble on one of those. i dont know of anyone that has used one yet and i dont know what they will handle. oh yeah, you will also be running the risk of exploding the stock diff with all that additional power which can blow several very large holes in your transmission case and could possibly cause engine damage as well. i have done that before and it aint fun, i got pics to prove it and i did it with a stock engine.

then you MUST have tuning or you will pop your engine within a week. that will run a minimum of $500 or so.

then it would be very wise to change over all your motor mounts to polyurethane. this will cost around $300 for all 3. while this isnt required it is highly suggested because you will have to replace them soon afterwards anyway unless you drive your turbocharged car like a grandma.

then you are going to want exhaust. if you have boost you should run at least 2.5 inch if you are on pretty low boost but most people run at least 3inch with boost, even alot of N/A guys run 3inch. this will set you back at least $150 if you have a local mom and pop muffler shop whip up the exhaust for you and it will be well over double that if you get a good bolt in exhaust from trubendz or something similar.

otherwise if your budget is $1500 and you want to make more power your best bet is nitrous. you can pick up a really good second hand wet kit with some bells and whistles for about $500 from yours truly if you want it and you can spray a 125 shot on a stock engine with a good tune pretty safely. that would get you to about 250whp give or take a few ponies. tuning is a little cheaper for nitrous as well.

for any of these options a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge is a requirement. it monitors fuel trims and will show if your engine starts to lean out (not enough fuel) so you can avoid engine damage. it is also a very important tool in the tuning process. these cost between $150-$300 depending on what you get and where you get it. it MUST be a WIDEBAND. narrowband does not work.

superchargers are a waste of time unless 160whp-190whp is all you want. a jackson racing supercharger is only going to get you into the lower power range since its the baby supercharger for the focus. powerworks, procharger, and vortech are better if that is the route you want to go but for the money spent on a supercharger you could have turbo instead and in my personal opinion it is easier to install a turbo kit than it is to fight the damn intake manifold to get it off and then wrestle the supercharger in place. it might take a bit longer but i think overall its easier.

just my $.02

#22 ·
all i know is im not crazy enough to run off the line besides at a track with some slippies. but the power to weight ratio from a roll would put the evo's and sti's down alot. when my gti had 220whp and weighs 3300 pounds i was beating sti's by half car length. im looking at the stage 2 turbo kit from top speed performance

#23 ·
when i was on alot less boost running about 278whp and 287wtq i was destroying stis and evos from a roll the focus with 300whp will beat alot of cars including some vettes and most any mustang. (all from a roll) you need alot more power to beat them from a dig because you have to play catch up.. which is pretty fun because they think they are beating you then all of a sudden.... vrrroooommm.. PEACE OUT SUCKKAAA... haha i love doing that kind of stuff to vettes and evos and sti guys.. even teh s4 audi guys.. they launch hard but i blow by them harder... hehehe

#24 ·
Racing from a roll just proves you're getting more ponies to the ground and I don't consider that a real competition and even then how is it determined you've won? Are you racing to a top speed? A distance?

#32 ·
Point and simple. You MIGHT beable to find a turbo kit for 1500. BUt it will cost you Atleast another 3k to transform the car into supporting that turbo kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.