Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Feedback From Those WIth Dry Nitrous Kits

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  focusmaniaczx3 
#1 ·
Going with a NX Dry Nitrous system and wanted feedback from those who have ran a dry kit on a focus spraying through the maf. I'm not interested in a wet kit.

I'm running a 255Lph SVT Pump, 42lbs FR injectors and Pro-M 75mm Maf calibrated for 42lbs. Using a stock calibration ECU, and AFS-22 Gapped @ .032.

What I would like to know is did you use a 180 degree nitrous nozzle or a 90 degree and how far away did you mount the nozzle from the maf to get the desired A/F Ratio?
I'm looking at a small 35-50 foot shot.

#4 ·
Good To Know, I figured I could run a dry kit spraying before the maf given I have plenty of headroom on the pump and injectors left. I havn't bought the system yet for this reason I wanted feed back.

Venom Has a kit out there that taps into each injector.

#6 ·
man sorry but dry systems have always been and always will be stupid. run a wet kit (which really isnt any more expensive) so you can be safe and be done. or run a dry kit and pop your motor, your choice.

#7 ·
Just for reference:

A. if the fuel puddles in the IM with the Wet kit, you can kiss your composite Intake good bye along with other damages.
B. If the Fuel selonoid stays stuck on same idea.

Dry Kit is not "stupid" as you claim it is. I've seen motors go pop on wet kits also.

This is not a debate on wet vs dry. This was asking for opinions on those who have used dry kits. Tuned, Spray through Maf, or upping injector duty cycle.

I apprecaite those that chimed in.

#10 ·
Wet kit with the nozzle ~ 4-6 inches from the TB. You have a fuel system capable of 300+, but it is still returnless, correct? The stang guys might get away with it, but the Focus ECU is a different beast. Trust me, I played around with N2o for awhile on my car and the fuel system gets "quirky" at high RPM when spraying.

The wet kit is the safest way to go along with a GOOD TUNE.

#11 ·
Yes it is return less. If the fuel system is getting quirky i would suspect a pump reaching a duty cycle past 90 percent on spray, or fuel injectors reaching their max. I would also suspect the MAF reaching 5V.

#12 ·
dude just let the guy go. we have tried to tell him and he wont listen so just let him pop his engine. he doesnt understand that combination of ECU, injectors, and maf for the zetec dont support dry kits very well. the only way you are going to get enough fuel to safely run a dry kit will be to run bigger injectors and have a TUNE that pumps enough fuel to keep up with the nitrous. you will have to have a different tune for every different size shot you want to run and the car will run like shit when you are not on the bottle unless you change to a N/A non-nitrous tune. now that isnt all that different from how you would have to do it with a wet kit because you have to or at least you SHOULD change the tune for every different size shot. i never got tuned for nitrous and i probably made several hundred passes on a wet nitrous kit between 35 shot and 125 shot. never puddled the intake and never popped my motor because im not a moron. but here is the difference. with a wet kit you can drive the car around with the nitrous tune while you are off the bottle and it still runs very close to like normal. and with a wet kit you have less of a chance of leaning out and burning your engine. if you have an intermittent injector failure, which happens quite a bit with the zetec, then you will pop your engine. it only has to last for a few seconds to do serious engine damage. im not sure if anyone has figured out why, i know i haven't got a clue and ive tried to figure it out several times. sometimes the zetec will just stop firing an injector for a few seconds or minutes. sometimes if fails all together and sometimes it simply cuts it down by a percentage. i think it has something to do with the MAF and/or ECU because this problem stops with EXTENSIVE tuning and with a diablo MAFia. now with a wet kit you are still getting the additional fuel even if an injector stops working so you have longer to notice before you are in danger of popping the motor and if you play it smart and always run a bigger pill on the fuel side than the nitrous side and just run the kit rich then you dont have to worry at all. there is also the fact that a wet kit is EASIER to install on the zetec IMO. why the hell would you go to the trouble of tweaking in the wiring and risking messing up injectors and computer on your car with a venom kit when you can simply take 3 minutes to use a $15 fuel rail adapter from CFM and the provided hose to run additional fuel? i just cant wrap my head around why you would possibly want to run a dry kit when we are strait up telling you that it is SAFER and EASIER to run a wet kit. and it isnt like it costs that much more. how much were you planning to spend on that venom kit? hell ill sell you my old zex wet kit with a few bells and whistles if you need a nitrous kit that bad. im sorry if i come across as a dick sometimes but i dont like seeing people pointlessly risk blowing their cars up. at least at this point if you are fully informed and you can decide for yourself whether to listen or disregard us. all i ask is that you just dont run a dry kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.