Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Holset hx35 good turbo?

21K views 55 replies 11 participants last post by  koke'sfocus 
#1 ·
Ok I saw one on craigslist for cheap I been looking for some info on this turbo it seems really good my only Qs? Is it would spool fast? How much hp could I get from one of this stock bottom end @ 12psi? Any input it would be apretiated

#8 ·
They don't flow as well as you think they do.

But, the fact that a Holset is designed to work with colder, less dense and, slower moving exhaust gases allow them to spool much faster than a standard turbo. The best bet for the car in question is probably a DSM bolt on housing since, its a .55 a/r. Its small enough to come up fast yet, large enough to reach the flow potential of the compressor wheel.

A divided T3 would come up just as quick if not faster with the correct manifold. With a manifold that is designed properly, it not only would make more power down low and in the mid range but, come up even faster than the .55 a/r housing.

Another good thing to go with the turbo is, adjustable cam gears so, you can force the turbo to come up even sooner.

Also, remember that either motor has higher compression which, would help spool and make power easier.

#9 ·
from pricing things on ebay. you can have a holset with a remanufactured center section oil cooled only, for about 500 bones if not less.

i ahve been looking at these for my svtf, and i think it would work better than people think. after all they are built for diesel trucks which dont spin very high.

#10 ·
^^^^ yeah I been looking on dsm tuners that It spool like 3500ish on the 2.0s mine is a 2.3 so it will spool faster and I look also that it flows 52lb/min so it dOes flows like a 50 trim or 20g

#12 ·
A 50 trim what? Trims are worthless with out other information about the turbo.

Mistu turbo flow rates:
14b = 30 lb/min
16g = 34lb/min
Big 16g = 36lb/min
18g = 40lb/min
EVO III Big 16g = 42lb/min
20g = 44lb/min

#19 ·
Yeah I found two here in ep one for 250 and the other one for 300 one it has the antisurge housing the other does not lol they came on the cummins rams :s lol

#24 ·
#28 ·
This is an HX40, divided T3 16cm2 housing.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of the size of a HX40 which, will help make these make sense.

Left is a HX30 the middle is the HX35 and the right is a HX40.

#30 ·
I wouldn't get the elbow, you want as much straight pipe out of the turbine housing as possible. The general rule is, 30 diameters before the first bend. Now, we all know that isn't possible but, you still want to get as close to that as you can.

#31 ·
so after playing with one i wont be able to make this fit, not without a different set of fans or a smaller radiator. eff me. good thing my buddy brought one over for a mock up before i bought one. looking at a t3 super 60 something by garret now. at least i know that fits in my small space.

#33 ·
Thank god I made a custom turbo adapter hopefully mine does fit and I think it will

#37 ·
I would start setting money aside rather than going with a smaller turbo. A proper manifold will benefit the system in all areas of performance and, be a great investment that will allow you to build on top of a good foundation.

Setting aside $700-1000 for a properly made manifold will get you high peak power numbers, better spool, and better efficiency across the board. And again, will let you keep/improve on that when you go to an even larger turbo later down the line.

#38 ·
keep de HX man! I konw it's big and could be a pita to fit (not my case since I'm remote mount).
the bang this turbo give is really impressive.
it like a normal car and mpg until it reach is wet spot.
on my 2.3l dtec when I reach 3500 rpm it's like a kick down :D
stop trying to mix up every thing... built your self for you need lol

#39 ·
Hey what turbo kit, and is ur 2.3 built? Compression? I would like to know so I can have an idea @what rpm expect the turbo to spool up

#40 · (Edited)
actualy i'm not a good ref for you.
but it still can give you a idea!
last year, stock Ranger block (2.3 base and 2.0 head), stock IM with is pretty small 14" runner, stock EM with the 2 cat before it reach the turbo, with all the piping include in a remote mount set-up and a 4:10 dif... 12 psi before 4000 rpm in gears 3-4-5 (close to 3300 un 5th gear).
I'm actually working on a homemade IM sort and large runner, bigger TB, large volum plenum. to match my new fogered rob and piston, custom engine mount and intercooler upgrade.

edit
here's the HX35 map

light red was pojected 12psi
dark red was real 12psi
and yellow is the new 20-18psi target.
do your math and have fun

#41 ·
Oh u have a truck lol I didn't knew that yeah is very different my setup hopefully I'll spool like @ 3500ish I have the. COssie IM 3" exhaust, it's gonna be a cast log manifold, hx35 7blade, 67mm throttle body, 2.5" hot side, 3" cOld side

#44 ·
Thanks, almost done with my turbo kit and it did fit :D I'm very pleased :)

#45 ·
I hope to see this build go. A frnd had a HY35 on a 2.3 making 422hp & 445tq. It was in a 88mustang & the turbo was off a 2002 dodge ram. Car ran a 10.66 at 124mp at Beach Bend track ( 1/4 mile)

#47 ·
Well I'm getting the funds to finish the tune Had some problems with my tuner I've been running the car and it pulls f..ing strong had sOme action the other day lol I spank some asses lol I'm changin the clutch next week

ya wheres the updates

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.