Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HOLY GRAIL, 2004 WRC turbo manifold

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  FocusRacingAustrali 
#1 ·
I got this morning[headbang]

The exhaust manifold, YC8969/1/006, WRC 2004 used is specific to the Focus WRC application and is quite long, reminding the one used in the RS500 special of the 80s. Long exhaust manifolds allow for a greater quality of gas flow to the turbocharger but have the inconvenience of introducing a relatively important amount of turbo lag. The Ford WRC teams took care of this downside by using the latest generation of turbo anti-lag systems (ALS) on their engine. The exhaust tubing is made out of the precious INCONEL alloy which is very light and heat resistant. Note also that ALS systems seem to be disappearing from the rallying world. Many new teams avoid using them for reliability reasons.

I'll be buying the WRC crank soon.

Rob

See less See more
#6 ·
TeeHee thats what it all comes down to is luck because I never thought I would own the holy grail let alone half the engine is WRC running gear, I still can't believe it.

How the Eff do you get all this wrc stuff
I've been looking high and low for these WRC parts for years, I brought this manifold from a UK rally team.
You wouldn't want to use this manifold on a street Focus anyway, not ideal for street car let alone a WRC machine.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to rebuild a motor in the kitchen.
Well, it stays in the living room but, I needed better light to take the photo so I had to move it.

Your making a big mistake using that 70mm COB MAF , just a friendly warning

The WRC stuff is very easy to get if you watch the UK boards and for sale section over there , I have picked up a store room of the stuff worth having , may not be but looks like a header that was for sale a few years back I seem to remember a black painted one with a dent in Cyl 1 for sale some time ago

Tom
Is the stock MAF better??? 70mm tb and intake with this 70mm MAF should flow nicely???

WRC gear isn't easy to get a hold of but, people best bet is to look on rally car site is where your going to find these parts, UK forum and ebay as well but, you need to look every single day and night for ages if you want to find Zetec parts, I haven't seen any WRC duratec parts floting around.

How would I pipe the wastegate to the FR intake???

#4 ·
Your making a big mistake using that 70mm COB MAF , just a friendly warning

The WRC stuff is very easy to get if you watch the UK boards and for sale section over there , I have picked up a store room of the stuff worth having , may not be but looks like a header that was for sale a few years back I seem to remember a black painted one with a dent in Cyl 1 for sale some time ago

Tom

#8 ·
Some turbo input would be nice??

Does the size of the turbo mouth needs to be same as the exhaust opening???

Who offers the best deal on buying a turbo on its own and intercooler???

#13 ·
My living room was overgrown then got rid of 90 perdcent of it with the build. Now I have intake mani and lower svt intake and couple mounts and some body parts and some lines and an fittings all growing back into the living room

#14 ·
I want to put my air intake system where the camgear are.

Where would I put the blowoff valve? infront or behind the air pod or MAF??

I was told with the 3rd outlet on the manifold needs blocking its not needed its a failed atempt at emission control like most things to save this rotting planet it doesnt work and is a response to government arseholes trying to think outside their area of knowledge
it works on idle to keep emissions down but then closes again on revs but its exhaust gas carbon monoxide etc and just clogs the valves as its full of oily residue
standard focus engines have them

I was thinking to pipe that to the wastegate as well????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.