Forced Induction - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14765
What I Drive: 2006 Mazdaspeed 6

FF Reputation: 1 Hellacool Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Forced Induction

Has anyone here successfully bolted on any form of forced induction to their SVT? When I say successfully I mean it still holds it's road manner, driveability and reliability. I want to get a little more power out of the car but through all the research I have come across, the SVT motor is already pretty tweaked out and the standard bolt-ons are only going to yield a small HP change, sometimes with a torque loss. Force induction seems to be the way to go but I am concerned with the high compression engine. Ive built a turbo car before (Volvo 240) but this car was built low compression from the ground up. I just want something that I can bolt on and still be able to use the car for my daily driver and not have to worry about killing it. Bottom line I want to hang with some of the faster cars but within reason.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14282
What I Drive: 03' SVT focus

FF Reputation: 1 BOM KRON Good Standing Member
Jackson Racing Supercharger. Best for your wallet and the most reliable. If you are going for the maximum power possible then splurge and get the Vortech Supercharger. Much greater gains but some would say probably not the most reliable if you aren't going constantly tuning it...plus the extra power gives the possibility of something blowing on a stock motor. If you just want something to give you that extra shove and can still just be used as an everyday driver without any worries then just go with the Jackson Racing.

Next time search the forums before you post a thread because this has been discussed many times before.

Slim

Favorite FF Quote: "My check engine light has been on for awhile but I put a sticker over it so i didnt have to look at it"
Old 10-31-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

I did search, most of what I found refers to the standard ZTECH motor not the SVT. The SVTs high compression makes a big diference when you start forcing air in there. Im not out to make the most power, I want to get about a 20-30 HP gain. To me that seems to be the right balance of performance and reliability.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10460
What I Drive: 04 Infra-Red focus SVT 3 door #434 of 1978 Born November 11th 2003

FF Reputation: 1 svt medic Good Standing Member
you can get that 20-30 hp gain from cold air intake screamin deamin plugs and coil kit and add a 65 mm throttle body with under drive pullys. do the easy stuff first then add the forced induction if you still want. I always say look for the easy stuff first
( VVTI This)
(SVT Squad # 198)
Old 10-31-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

I dont think that is correct. Based on the Ford Focus builders handbook and the latest copy of Focus Fanatics, all those mods may yield 10-12 HP. Those are dyno tests. Of course I havent done any of the mods you mentioned, im purely basing my analysis on research and other peoples work. Im not trying to bust your hump it just seems that the SVT already has all the basic bolt ons already bolted on. The Jackson Supercharger looks like the way to go for me, I would just like to hear from someone who has installed one on an SVT. The good and bad and the reliability.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1711
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black Focus SVT ZX5

Points 1,975, Level 26
Points: 1,975, Level: 26 Points: 1,975, Level: 26 Points: 1,975, Level: 26
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 CantFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by svt medic
you can get that 20-30 hp gain from cold air intake screamin deamin plugs and coil kit and add a 65 mm throttle body with under drive pullys. do the easy stuff first then add the forced induction if you still want. I always say look for the easy stuff first
No way in hell those mods together will put you up that much power.

If you only want 20-30 hp then go with a jrsc..........If more or if you will want more further along get the vortec. There is also the possibility for nitrous. I believe you can run a 50 shot with no tuning. Then there is always turbo (focus-power.com) but this is a pretty expensive way to go.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:32 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
It's not complete yet, but I try to update the thread as often as I can. Stay tuned!

Gettin' Blown...
Old 11-01-2004, 06:38 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks essveetee, That is the info I want to see. I will check back often. I need this car to stay streetable and reliable. I just feel that 200HP is what the car should have :) Any more Im afraid I will start running into reliability problems.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Quote:
Originally posted by Hellacool
Thanks essveetee, That is the info I want to see. I will check back often. I need this car to stay streetable and reliable. I just feel that 200HP is what the car should have :) Any more Im afraid I will start running into reliability problems.
Bah! Reliability, what's that?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:58 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

True, Im going to jump to your other thread so I dont start an off-shoot. I have a few questions.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.