Focus Fanatics Forum banner

sporadic's Turbo Duratec build #2

28K views 88 replies 20 participants last post by  sutyak 
#1 · (Edited)
Original build from 7/24/2007 is here: sporadic's Turbo Duratec build thread

This second build is going to stretch into 2013 and will be broken down into phases. Since I will be the one tuning it this will greatly simplify the adjustments I have to make.

Phases
1) Swap out the IHI/16T hybrid turbo for a GT2871r (Target: June 2012)
This will involve welding in a wastegate flange for an external wastegate, the dump tube, and a few inches of new downpipe. The turbine outlet is a 2.5" v-band flange, which will immediately open to a 3" downpipe. Tune for the 8psi wastegate spring. No boost adjustment yet.

2) Cossie knock-off intake manifold. (Target: July/August 2012)
This involves moving the power steering reservoir and re-routing some lines. I may do a detailed write-up of this if I have time. Adjust tune. May add boost controller and go to 10psi if logs look OK.

3) Built motor (2013)
There are still many variables here to account for. The only part I have in hand at the moment is a set of 88mm 10.1:1 Supertech pistons. These were used in a 2.3 build for a few thousand miles, and started life closer to 10.6:1 and were professionally milled to a lower compression.
The current plan is to use the stock 2.0 head and cams, but that could change.

My original goal was ~400whp, but instead of jumping ahead I think I'm going to shoot for ~300whp and leave some room for future fuel system upgrades for a phase 4. Basically I'll push it until I nearly max out the stock fuel system.
I considered lower compression pistons, but I decided I'd rather run the slightly higher compression to start with and if I want to go lower I'll use a thicker had gasket. If I started with lower compression and wanted to go higher it will cost much more to mill the head vs. buying a thicker head gasket.

This build will not be real-time like my first one (I have 2 kids now), but I will provide photos and write-ups once phases are complete.

NOTE: This is not now nor will ever be a dyno queen. I will post dyno results if I happen to go with a group for a dyno day. Please don't skip around this thread and expect to find a dyno sheet. This isn't that kind of build. I'm far more likely to provide datalog information and 1/4 mile track times than dyno charts.

Parts list (on shelf)
GT2871R turbo (T3, 63ar, 2.5" v-band out)
Tial 38mm wastegate & dump tube piping
T3 Log manifold from build #1
55lb injectors
Cossie knock-off intake manifold

Parts list (Still to purchase. PM me if you have and want to sell.)
2.0 Connecting rods (leaning towards K1)
Rod bearings
Head gasket (can't decide between Fel-Pro or Cometic and also thickness)
Bottom end gasket kit
Top end gasket kit
Torsen LSD
Clutch (Exedy Hyper Single or maybe even the Clutchmasters FX700)
MAFia for 2005+ Ford (had one, went to 3" MAF so I sold it. Now I think I'll need one again)
60lb injectors
Drag wheels + slicks
Boost controller (might go with electronic)
Larger intercooler

Parts credit (I'll had to this for any person/company who cuts me a deal on parts)
- Top Speed for 38mm Tial wastegate ($150 lightly used was a good deal)
- Tantalus for pistons
- koke'sfocus for intake manifold
- afraziaaaa for ARP fasteners and gasket kit

Pictures

I'm more of a Coke Zero guy, but for some reason there are Pepsi cans around when I take pictures. [confused]

I figure this might help some people if they are considering the GT2871r.
If my calculations are correct my Phase 1 at 8psi will be peak at the intersection of 1.7 Pr and 27.7 lbs/min at 7K RPM. I can't wait to run it at 20+psi/2.7Pr and let it ride that island to 45lbs/min! [strongman] I'm fairly certain that will require a return-style fuel system.
These are just estimates. I'd have to do some data logging to map out real-world results. I might do just that. Mapping the lb/min and RPM from the datalog on the compressor map should be very helpful. I did that with the IHI but didn't post it.

-3AN .035 oil restrictor

Compressor outlet adapter. These are surprisingly expensive at $40 from ATP Turbo.

See less See more
Reactions: Gettysburg150
#5 ·
Lol. Thanks man! My daughter saw me taking the photo and I asked her if she wanted her picture taken too. She emphatically said yes!

#7 ·
Thanks! [thumb]
I think I just need one more fitting for the water lines and I'm good to go. I might start the turbo swap early next week.
It's been so long since I did any proper data logging and tuning that I need to validate my previous stuff before moving forward.
For my own personal reference I think I'll include more tuning related information in this thread.

Reactions: swk110
#9 ·
I started installing the GT2871r today. The fit isn't as perfect as I thought, but it does fit. The turbine housing angle is a bit different than the IHI I built the manifold for and the result is a rather large gap between the block and the turbo. The new turbo is positioned up about 1" and out 1", putting the compressor housing almost against the coolant lines.
I did break one of the plastic coolant T's on removal so I'll be hitting Napa for another one. (PN 660-1593)

I'm still debating whether to dump the wastegate or pipe it back into the exhaust. I'll probably run it dumped at first.

I also broke off one of the nipples on the evaporator for probably the 4th time. I'm getting tired of gluing it back on. [facepalm]

Completed:
- Remove old turbo
- Mock up new turbo and determine necessary modifications to piping

To do:
- Modify downpipe for 3" V-band
- Modify hot site pipe (eliminates a 90* bend)
- Modify ambient pipe
- Route coolant lines
- Mock up wastegate
- Weld in wastegate and route dump
- Datalog and tune

The gap. It's unnecessary but hey I'm not going to hack up my manifold if I don't have to.

IHI RHB52/16T hybrid vs. GT2871r

The new beast:

And one more for fun:

#10 ·
Downpipe is complete and I also replaced the horrible compression style clamps with 3" v-band clamps. Next up is the wastegate, which I decided to route back into the exhaust. I'm going to mount the wastegate on the underside of the manifold (since there is room), that way all pipes will be nice and short.

Old downpipe for the Tbird IHI compared to the new downpipe for the GT2871r:

v-band!

Old leaky junk vs. v-band

#12 ·
Finished up the wastegate flange tonight. I know the manifold isn't beautiful, but it was also one of the first welding project I ever did 5 years ago. So, don't judge too harshly on those old welds. I've had to repair a couple cracks, but overall it's actually held up very well.. it's just ugly. :)
Next up is the return line from the wastegate to the exhaust. Last fab stuff is some minor modifications to the intercooler pipes, coolant lines to the turbo then ready to dial in the tune!

38mm flange for Tial:

I haven't positioned the vacuum ports yet.

Fairly direct shot to the downpipe from the wastegate. That is tomorrow's project.

#17 ·
I decided I want to use a flex pipe between the wastegate outlet and main exhaust pipe. I'll work on something else until that arrives.

#18 ·
Flex pipe to go between the wastegate and downpipe. This size is surprisingly difficult to find! Found this on Amazon.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm making progress on the wastegate return pipe. I determined I do not like the angle of entry into the exhaust, so I'm going to cut off that angled part and make it more of a 45 degree entry instead of 90.
Overall I'm pleased with the progress, considering how little time I'm able to put into it.
I ended up making a 38mm flat flange because I was short one. The moral of that story is: keep everything. :) The piece of metal was from my buddy's F150 diesel that we replaced the water pump in 5 years ago. It was part of the A/C bracket.

Tomorrow I'll finish the wastegate return, modify the hot side intercooler piping, modify the ambient pipe, and if I have time hook up the water and oil lines to the turbo.

Sorry for the cell phone pics tonight.

The A/C bracket, I mean flange:

Wastegate return

This is the angle I'm going to tweak to more of a 45:

Where that flange was used:

#21 ·
Never a dull moment. It's very convenient having a spare motor to mock up things, but I forgot that I don't have any accessories on that spare motor! After I finished welding up the wastegate return and went to mount it on the car I quickly realized the wastegate is hitting the alternator! I could 1) cut and reweld the wastegate routes 2) grind down part of the alternator or 3) grind down part of the wastegate. The wastegate lost. [rofl]
The side wastegate nipple was hitting the alternator, as well as about 1/8" of the aluminum housing (vac area not the steel exhaust route). This all actually turned out to be a blessing, as I found that part of the diaphragm was pinched between the halves of the aluminum housing. I disassembled the wastegate nearly completely in order to clock the housing so the nipple wouldn't hit the alternator. A bit of grinding later and it fits fine.

Wastegate ground. Please ignore the funky old welds on the manifold.

If only all my cuts were perfect then all the welds would look like this:

Fits now!

#22 ·
All welding done and parts painted. I paint my welded exhaust parts to keep them from rusting too quickly. Some of my welds from 5 years ago had not rusted yet after painting them. Painted with 1200* grill paint and cured on the grill. The only thing left in Phase 1 should be routing the water lines, mounting everything and checking out the tune. I hope to wrap up tomorrow/Wednesday.

#23 ·
Turbo is on and no apparent oil, coolant or exhaust leaks. Tomorrow after work I'll do some datalogging and adjust the tune as necessary. I didn't get a chance to drive it today, just let it idle up to temp to check for leaks.

#25 ·
The turbo is on and spooling and running fine with zero leaks. This is actually the first time my car has not had exhaust leaking from somewhere.
The bad news is the wastegate spring is only 6psi instead of 8psi, so it wasn't a very exciting drive. The tune is overly rich since dropping from 11psi to 6psi, but I'll touch that up a bit until I get a new spring or boost controller. More pics to follow.

Next project is the house, not the car so it will be some time before I get back to it.

#26 ·
I believe I determined I have a 7.2psi spring in the wastegate. I had the spring out twice and I'm fairly certain it was green. HERE is the guide from Tial. I would have sworn the boost gauge didn't go above 6 though, but I guess I was trying to watch a lot of things a the same time.
I'm not sure if I'll go with the 8.7psi or the 10.1psi spring. Probably the 10.1psi...
EDIT: I believe the difference in boost readout is because I have my boost gauge referenced off the manifold and the wastegate gets its pressure off the compressor housing.

Installed photos:

Without manifold heat shield

With manifold heat shield (modified stock heat shield)

Sorry no decent under-car photos. I tried to take some tonight and it just didn't work out. Next time I'm under the car in the daylight I'll take some.

Overall I have to say I'm extremely happy with how smoothly the build went. I am also a firm believer in v-band clamps now!
I've only had it out for one drive to help dial in the tune, so I can't really comment yet on how fast the turbo spools etc. I should have more input after this weekend, and my also post data log info.

#28 ·
I put that in an edit above: wg references the compressor housing and boost gauge references the manifold, so the difference there is the pressure drop across the piping/intercooler.
Another guy pointed that out to me. I really should have thought about that.

#31 ·
Did you get ARP studs for the header?
What's the size? 8 X 1.25?
I've always run stock studs with no problems.

Got any video of this man?
Not yet. 7.2psi isn't overly exciting anyway. I'll get some vids when I turn it up to 10psi or so and also try to get back to the track this fall.

#33 ·
The whole car only has 45K miles on it. This motor has probably 15K on it. It's garage kept (except for 8 months in PA). I also use high-temp anti-seize fairly liberally on bolts I know will rust. Messy stuff but it's a lifesaver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.