Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Hughesy's 2nd Gen Duratec Turbo Build

53K views 268 replies 19 participants last post by  koke'sfocus 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright folks, I have come to a point where I am close enough to finishing my kit to start a build thread. Ok, the car I have is a 2010 se. I will be running stock internals and stock clutch until later on. Main goal is boost at this point.
List of parts: (I'll edit prices later, have a spreadsheet keeping track)
Isis RS3871 Turbo
Tubular bottom mount manifold
27x7x2.5 intercooler
2.5" piping with blow through set up
1st gen DSM BOV
42 lb injectors
knock off intake manifold
Oil Sandwich plate for oil feed
Turbo timer
Boost gauge

still needed:
3" Turbo back exhaust
Tune by Tom
Wideband
Diablo Mafia: F7370

#2 · (Edited)
Ok so some of you have already seen the other thread I had going so don't get upset if you've already seen these pictures.
Well I started test fitting yesterday and things look a little snug but should not pose any problems.
Without manifold and turbo

with just manifold

^Just low enough to put the exhaust below the alternator(was my biggest worry)

#3 · (Edited)
Here is some with manifold and turbo

^This was another concern for the intake but it is just a bracket that can easily be manipulated to make an intake work for the turbo. Also, can someone chime in and tell me what lines those are in the picture. Waste gate is a little close to them.( The ones with the heat guards on them)

#4 · (Edited)
For the cold side, I was fortunate enough to purchase Sporadic's cold side on here.(Thanks again)

(I like the blue but this has already been painted black)
For the top half of my cold side, I will be using the top half of a K&N typhoon CAI

Should work just fine. And I will be able to use the other half on the hot side or intake for the turbo.
When I mount everything I will make sure to post pics and what bends I used to make the hotside.
(will be painted black as well once welded together)

#5 ·
This is all I have done right now just have to wait on a few more pieces. Starting tomorrow, I will be getting some more pieces. I'm gonna find a shop to do the downpipe and exhaust for me.( wish I knew how to weld or knew someone who was decent at it) Hopefully this will all be done by the end of next month if not the first week of July. Open to suggestions and will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

#7 ·
Thank you. Will definitely take as many as I can. Oil feed should come in today also a boost gauge I bought from a member on here. Going to be adjusting the turbo today will make sure to post some pics.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
Well got some more goodies in the mail. Got my oil feed line in and put on the turbo. Got boost gauge that I bought from a member on here. I ordered SCT fire wire and brass T's for the water lines(Thanks Sporadic) and 1/8x3an for the sandwich plate for the feed line.
I slacked on getting pictures of clocking the turbo but didn't want to high jack my own thread for a how-to on clocking a turbo. I will post pics of the before and after. I did adjust the compressor housing so I can run the hot side piping a lot easier and more effective. Should finish up the cold side next week and will post pics of that.

#22 ·
... brass T's for the water lines(Thanks Sporadic)
I was informed the Pex style brass T will not work for rubber hoses. Another guy tried to use them and they would simply never seal. Looks like I'll stick with my plastic Ts from Napa for a while longer.

#9 ·
Well the fire wire cable came in today. Got it on ebay for like 20. Good thing about it, it comes with a pin diagram. Did some more measuring for the intercooler and started looking at the angles I need for hotside piping. Once I get it all mapped out, I'll take some pics and list exactly what pieces I used and measurements for each one. I know I've searched on here plenty of times for what angles to use so once I finish it I will make that available.
Downpipe will be made hopefully next week sometime. Has to be custom made because of how low the manifold puts trubo. Gonna get some other stuff finished up next week still waiting for some parts to come in and some still need to order so bare with me folks.

#15 ·
You and me both man. Just waiting to get paid so I can get things going. Soon as that happens, just wait for everything to come in and install. I'll do another thread on the turbo itself later on. I have to see what kind of numbers I get from it and reliability. Just the waiting game; its killing me. So close but so far away. Next week should be getting a bunch of stuff so I'll have more updates and pics for everyone.

#16 ·
So what did you figure out about the MaFia? Is this necessary for optimum tuning? Depending on how your turbo treats you I might pick one up too. The Saab turbo I have would work well according to the maps I found but fabricating the downpipe is gonna be a pain in the butt to find the right flange. I don't wanna make a one off system and then want to upgrade it later to do it all over again lol

#20 ·
Thank you Tom. I know I want to have as few issues as possible and have a reliable set up once I piece everything together. I'm hoping to work with you when the time comes.

#21 · (Edited)
Ok update time. The sandwich plate came in and so did the T's for the water lines. I promised pictures of the turbo after I clocked it and adjusted the wheel housing.
before adjusting

After (also added oil feed line to it)

Here is the sandwich plate

I'll have some more updates for you soon. A bunch of stuff getting ordered next week. Oh and Tom emailed me and the base tune is ready to go so just waiting to put it all together.

#24 · (Edited)
well that sucks seeing as mine already came in and I ordered banjos to match them. If I have the right clamps for them will they work? If not, I'm out 35 bucks. I don't see why they wouldn't work. they have perforated edges on them. ( "tapered" edges. Definitely don't want edges full of holes LOL. I will keep it here for amusement. Never drink and post.)

the ones on my turbo are much larger. the 3/8 outlet fits inside them but seeing as my turbo is recommended for 6an, this should be perfect for it.

#25 ·
well that sucks seeing as mine already came in and I ordered banjos to match them. If I have the right clamps for them will they work? If not, I'm out 35 bucks. I don't see why they wouldn't work. they have different perforated edges on them.
the ones on my turbo are much larger. the 3/8 outlet fits inside them but seeing as my turbo is recommended for 6an, this should be perfect for it.
Quote from bmylez on FJ:
"Bad news, man. That brass tee you posted is for PVC pipes, NOT rubber hose. I made that mistake on my first go-round on the SVT and that ish leaked like a sieve. You need tapered barbs, not the PEX fitting you have pictured. Even though it says it's for 3/4", it will not seal correctly against a 3/4 rubber hose. I had everything tightened down, poured in a gallon of coolant, and then had all of it leak out in about 15 min."

#26 ·
Correct. You need tapered edges. Unless you can force a one-size smaller hose on it, it's going to leak. For instance, if you can force a 5/8" hose on a 3/4" PEX fitting, it won't leak, but I'm pretty sure it either won't go on or it will be the tightest fit ever.

Also, lol at "perforated edges". Not the word you were looking for.

#27 ·
^lol. Yea I relize that now. Yea definitely don't need holes in my T fittings. Long day yesterday. I was a little on the ienebriated side when I was posting last night. I really got to stop getting on here after drinking.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.